• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

I want to swear.  

I'm not a child.  I might be a a twenty one year old man boy who plays role-playing games but d a m n it I want to swear.

Who's with me.

Edited by ieatdeadpeople2, 31 January 2014 - 01:34 PM.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon..."-Daenerys Targaryen

"I found my friends their in my head."-Kurt Cobain

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

#2 Amaimon

Amaimon

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

Screw that. 

#3 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I don't swear.

I don't like swearing.

But I'm not the boss of you. If I don't like it I don't have to come here, read it and then complain about it.

• Nameless2all and ieatdeadpeople2 like this

#4 Ladegard

Ladegard

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

And you're also not the boss of Fantasy Flight Games.  If you don't like not swearing, you don't have to come here.

• Erathia and Marwynn like this

#5 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:30 AM

And Fantasy Flight Games is not the boss of you, so if they come to your house and tell you to stop swearing, you tell them to [PROFANITY FILTER ACTIVATED] with a [MORE PROFANITY FILTERED] while [WOW THIS WAS A LOT OF PROFANITY] unless it's Tuesday of course.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#6 Jetpack

Jetpack

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

Now this is a first world concern.

How dare someone prevent me from swearing on their privately owned forum!  Anarchy!  Anarchy!

• Nameless2all and Amroth like this

#7 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

This thread is pure and utter feldercarb. It's feth like this that really boils my gak. Someone at FFG should frakking remove it.

=][=

#8 Spatulaodoom

Spatulaodoom

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

I want to swear.  

I'm not a child.  I might be a a twenty one year old man boy who plays role-playing games but d a m n it I want to swear.

Who's with me.

Then go somewhere where that's allowed.

Current evidence to the contrary? That's nice, and I'm sure you swear plenty, so relax.

Nope.

#9 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

My issue with the profanity filter is that it sometimes effects non-profane stuff. I made a post a while back about a Deathwatch scenario I was planning based on Herman Melville's most famous novel. Thanks to over-aggressive censorship, that book is apparently Moby ----.

• Roy Stone likes this

#10 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

You mean Moby ****?

Wow me too! Hang on a minute....

**** Van Dyke,  Spotted ****, ***** Galore, Blue ***, 

What? It's censorship gone mad!

So let me see if I get this right, you can't name the famous actor **** Van Dyke but you can name a Bastard Sword?

Edited by Roy Stone, 01 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

• ieatdeadpeople2 likes this

#11 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Hang on - ieatdeadpeople?  Weren't you the guy that posted all those marijuana-related images on here a year or so ago?

If so; I'll tell you now what I told you then - Fantasy Flight's forum, Fantasy Flight's rules.

Hell; you go to any forum on the internet and they'll have rules in-place stating their policy on foul language, racial/sexual slurs, and what topics can't be discussed on their boards, regardless of their game's content.

#12 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

Wow this thread is a total zzzzzzzz. As Jetpack said first world problems, lol.

• Jetpack and Roy Stone like this

#13 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Mostly I just find it just annoying in the fan fiction section.

Its ironic that a forum for a game on which players post their stories of glorious genocides I can't use certain words.

Isn't there currently a topic talking about a how to run a harem in RT?  I think objectification of women ought to be a bit more of a concern then using dirty words.

Edited by ieatdeadpeople2, 01 February 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#14 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

This thread is pure and utter feldercarb. It's feth like this that really boils my gak. Someone at FFG should frakking remove it.

If you really wanted it to die just don't post on it and it will go away.

I understand they have rules but I can still point out that their hypocrites.

The only reason I don't like the rule is I think it detracts from my the fan fiction section.  Let the artist do what they want.

#15 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

It is pretty stupid, I mean honestly you can tell what someone means by context about 99% of the time anyway so what's the point in trying to "filter" it? That and I agree with the statement that RT is not a game that tends to be G or even PG13 rated when you get a group of what passes for adults in modern culture playing it. Like any censorship you have to ask, who is this protecting and from what and for who's benefit? When you think it through the answer is almost always a fucktarded load of nonsensical crap. That being said it's not going to go away, because of what Fantasy Flight produces as a business they ultimately will jump through whatever hoops they have to in order to present a "kid friendly" enough image not to lose access to a potential part of the market.

Isn't there currently a topic talking about a how to run a harem in RT?  I think objectification of women ought to be a bit more of a concern then using dirty words.

It should be even less of one.

See I think this is where you lost me with this bit where you partake in the loathsome habit of throwing dumbshit social issues garbage around to try and appear moral or intelligent. Here's the thing, that harem is fictional, it belongs to a fictional person, it contains only fictional women. So you go after the guy you're basically persecuting him for a thought crime.

True you can kind of gauge people's personalities by what they fantasize about but a guy fantasizing about having a harem only really reveals that he may very likely want unlimited access to unlimited sex with attractive women. GASP some nerd wants that? Oh **** I also just discovered that the sky is blue and that all the politicians are actually rotten self serving liars. You've opened my eyes to a whole new world of shocking realities with your talk of "women's issues".

• Nameless2all and Jetpack like this

#16 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

unlimited access to unlimited sex with attractive women.

You had me at unlimited.

:D

• Amroth and Brother Orpheo like this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#17 Jetpack

Jetpack

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

It is rather funny that the OP wants to swear, but complains about discussions of in game activities.  Perhaps the board moderation should be left to those who own it, eh?

Couple of thoughts.

WH40K is a remarkably non-sexist universe.  Everyone is an object.  That's the point.  What is the main resource of the Imperium?  People.  Got a problem?  Throw more people at it.  You lost 1 million Imperial Guard on a planet?  Send 5 million next time.  That doesn't work?  Exterminatus.

Rogue Trader's literally have the power of life and death in the Expanse.  That is the game.  A Rogue Trader can do ANYTHING in the Expanse.  Even in Calixis, RT's have leeway that normal people can't comprehend.  That's just the way it is.

Edit - it's not canon, but I've been rewatching Red Dwarf, so if I can say smeg, then that's fine with me.

Edit 2 - And I can!  So, use smeg when you need to swear.  We can start a trend!

Edited by Jetpack, 02 February 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#18 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

WH40K is a remarkably non-sexist universe.  Everyone is an object.  That's the point.  What is the main resource of the Imperium?  People.  Got a problem?  Throw more people at it.  You lost 1 million Imperial Guard on a planet?  Send 5 million next time.  That doesn't work?  Exterminatus.

Dark Heresy had a note during character generation that about the same level of sexism exists in the 41st Millennium as modern day. Theoretically women are equal, but in practice most major political and societal figures are male, which is not entirely unexpected given that every famous Imperial figure - apart from Saints - is male, and the whole Space Marine thing. Going through the Frozen Reaches for example, the Planetary Governor, Commander of the ground defenses, commander of the void defenses, principal Mechanicus representative, spiritual leader of Damaris, and named Astropath are all male, while the commander of local law enforcement, and Battlefleet representative are female. Rogue Traders though are split one and one.

I try my best to ignore this in my games, but when looking at the setting, it is a world where our God, his sons, and his angels (of death) are all male, and the most famous female organisation was originally called the "Brides of the Emperor", and they occasionally get turned into hats by other Space Marines. 

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#19 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Why the smeg can I post "Bastard Sword" but can't smeggin discuss a bird named the Blue *** or a English desert called spotted ****?

Smeg that!

While I hate swearing, crudeness and innuendo I'm not so immature as to giggle like a smeggin child whenever I hear a word which isn't actually rude. It's just silly smeg heads who have made words like *****, **** and *** rude.

Grow up people!

Rant over and I hope Jetpack likes my overuse of Smeg.

• ieatdeadpeople2 likes this

#20 Jetpack

Jetpack

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

I thought it was great!  There was a board that changed all filtered worlds to pancake.  Much amusement ensued.

Didn't know the point about the sexism, as hadn't seen it in the books I've read. But, never read the various hat stuff either.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS