Gold Rush

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jondifool

jondifool

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

I am looking for ideas and material for a Gold Rush scenario, something like in the wild west.

Thinking of something like an old abandoned dwarven mine that has been rediscovered because of landslide giving access to the valley it entrance is found in.

Adventures, criminals, merchant, outlaws and workers are rushing in creating a camp (and soon a city).

Everyone knows that the local barons are going to claim ownership, if not the merchant houses of the nearest big city. Some fears the mine is not really abandoned and someone even thinks the dwarfs might return. So everyone is in a frenzy to earn a profit while there is time.

Lots of reason to have social encounters and small stories that follows some of the wild west movie plots, and space for some dungeon crawl as well.

Anyway is there any material that comes to mind as aid to set this up. I am looking for something that takes the players off the beaten track and is thinking of using it at as break for some of the more city oriented campaigns (the enemy within.)

#2 Croaker13

Croaker13

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:16 AM

That sounds like an awesome idea. I'd very much like to see that.

I'd probably set it in the Border Princes, which already has that wild west "feel". The Renegade Crowns sourcebook for 2nd Ed would be a good place to start.

For futher inspiration, you should really read Red Country, by Joe Abercrombie. It's basically a western set in a fantasy universe.

#3 Preacherman

Preacherman

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

As Croaker said, Renegade Crowns would be an excellent starting place. The Border Princes would probably be the perfect location for this adventure.

#4 khaali

khaali

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

You should read "Red country" from Joe Abercrombie. Very good book, and it's exactly the theme you're looking for: a gold rush in a medieval low fantasy setting.

#5 jondifool

jondifool

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

thanx - now i have something to start with. Yeah Border Princes is a very likely place to set this up, but i am actual given it a thought to put it in the Empire somewhere in a weak war torn province bordering mountains. ( could be during the enemy within campaign).

#6 Croaker13

Croaker13

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

*Spoiler Warning for the original Enemy Within campaign*

If you mean the original EW, you might consider tying the Von Tasseninck "red herring", from Mistaken Identity, into the whole thing. Maybe a lone member of the expedition returns to the Empire to report of gold in the Grey Mountains, which starts a crazy gold-rush.

The only problem is that the Grey Mountains border some of the more civilized provinces (Reikland and Wissenland), but on the other hand, the Von Tasseninck expedition is supposed to go into the "unexplored" regions of the Grey Mountains, so they aren't wholly civilized.

Edit: And if you mean the new EW, then I'd go with the Black Mountains, near Black Fire Pass, which would tie nicely into the backstory.

Edited by Croaker13, 01 February 2014 - 03:02 AM.

• Emirikol likes this

#7 jondifool

jondifool

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

the new  one !

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS