30 replies to this topic

#21 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Please forgive this lazy newbie. I hang my head in shame  :(

Done

See you in a few weeks when someone else brings up the topic  :)

Probably ;)
  • Roy Stone likes this

#22 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

From a player end RTs massive travel times are awesome for several reasons if you really think about it, especially regarding recovery from injuries. Say even if you end up a quivering pile of dismembered bruises from your latest adventure, if you then have to haul out for a hundred days of travel it means you have time for them to put you back together in sickbay and undergo whatever physical therapy you might need.

Also it's great for hand waving away your advances when they don't relate to whatever you just did in your last adventure, want a strength advance? "I just about live in the officer's gym for the trip and I get totally ripped"

Picking up demolitions? "Whenever I'm off my shift I'm watching training holo-tapes for guardsmen assigned to sapper squads and reading big books on chemistry and wiring."

Found a jetpack on that guy who attacked you and want to get Pilot (personal)? "I spend lots of time in the cargo hold playing with my jetpack."

• Tenebrae, ieatdeadpeople2 and Roy Stone like this

#23 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

From a player end RTs massive travel times are awesome for several reasons if you really think about it, especially regarding recovery from injuries. Say even if you end up a quivering pile of dismembered bruises from your latest adventure, if you then have to haul out for a hundred days of travel it means you have time for them to put you back together in sickbay and undergo whatever physical therapy you might need.

Also it's great for hand waving away your advances when they don't relate to whatever you just did in your last adventure, want a strength advance? "I just about live in the officer's gym for the trip and I get totally ripped"

Picking up demolitions? "Whenever I'm off my shift I'm watching training holo-tapes for guardsmen assigned to sapper squads and reading big books on chemistry and wiring."

Found a jetpack on that guy who attacked you and want to get Pilot (personal)? "I spend lots of time in the cargo hold playing with my jetpack."

I'm going to use that.

#24 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Most of my players do

#25 Fortinbras

Fortinbras

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

I wasn't suggesting combat at 0.4c.  Only a cruise speed for getting in and out of a system.    

Also: You linked to a three-sentence long post.   I don't want to be rude, but were you expecting that that would somehow bring this thread to a screeching halt and we'd just cease discussing it?   Maybe close the thread?

Actually, next time I may just be rude considering every post in this thread you've basically acted as if this discussion is somehow beneath you.   If it bores you, feel free to not post.  Let us discuss it to death at our own pace.

Edited by Fortinbras, 31 January 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#26 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

Who were you referring to?

#27 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

Who were you referring to?

Me, I rather assume.

I wasn't suggesting combat at 0.4c.  Only a cruise speed for getting in and out of a system.

At 0.4 you're likely to miss a planet with your spaceship by quite a bit if you haven't factored in relativistic effects. And by this I mean on the order of 3-4 AU when approaching from Pluto-orbit.
I assume that the Imperium have largely lost the ability to take relativity into account, because that is how I can reconcile rules and fluff reasonably well.

Also: You linked to a three-sentence long post.

My apologies, I was trying to link to the entire thread and obviously failed.

I don't want to be rude, but were you expecting that that would somehow bring this thread to a screeching halt and we'd just cease discussing it?

...and I clearly came across as rude, for which I apologize.
No, I didn't expect the thread to come to a screeching halt, but I did (perhaps vainly) hope that some of the information in that thread might transfer into the current thread.

#28 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

I feel sorry for any group who can't find anything to occupy their characters for 5 weeks.

[snip]

Good ideas, but to me the focus should be on the characters' interests. Not every cruise needs to have multiple sessions of "transit time" shenanigans. The occasional bit might be fun, as would encouraging players to figure out what their characters might be doing, but playing it out every time would get really stale to me. I had a game die because the players and the GM had different expectations of what happened in transit. The GM wanted to pursue transit adventures, the rest of us pretty much wanted to get on with out main plot and pursue Endeavours in a slice-of-life aspect, not focus on day-to-day stuff. This is a thing to talk to the players about so there's a balance; certainly I'd give the players a few abbreviated transits before zooming in on one, and even then only if the circumstances surrounding the transit scenes had ties to the overarching plot.

#29 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

I feel sorry for any group who can't find anything to occupy their characters for 5 weeks.

[snip]

Good ideas, but to me the focus should be on the characters' interests. Not every cruise needs to have multiple sessions of "transit time" shenanigans. The occasional bit might be fun, as would encouraging players to figure out what their characters might be doing, but playing it out every time would get really stale to me. I had a game die because the players and the GM had different expectations of what happened in transit. The GM wanted to pursue transit adventures, the rest of us pretty much wanted to get on with out main plot and pursue Endeavours in a slice-of-life aspect, not focus on day-to-day stuff. This is a thing to talk to the players about so there's a balance; certainly I'd give the players a few abbreviated transits before zooming in on one, and even then only if the circumstances surrounding the transit scenes had ties to the overarching plot.

I give the option of a "quiet transit" where we just skip the travel and get stuck in with the next mission. Or they can choose to have a little game, series of small games or a mini-campaign.

The second option is often picked when the main plot seems to drag on a bit and they want a temporary distraction. Main plot dragging on is the fault of a certain GM who does go for elaborate plots sometimes.

Not going to say who that GM is.

:ph34r:

#30 ieatdeadpeople2

ieatdeadpeople2

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

I make my players role for every warp jump.  At this point we've been playing for 4 years now we all know the drill it takes all of 4 seconds and it adds a bit of tension.  

Not so much that they could end up in a terrible warp accident (unless their crossing the maw or deep in the expanse which has happened).  The time delay can wreak havoc with their plans and Its important to include that.  Also its been interesting.  We've been keeping track of travel time and the warp effects of travel since we started and the results have been interesting.  In ship time has been about 5 years but compared to "terran standard time" it's closer to 18.

I use the travel time to do the same thing as tenebrae and roy as well.  Healing and a good excuse for leveling.

Occaisonlayy something interesting happens.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon..."-Daenerys Targaryen

"I found my friends their in my head."-Kurt Cobain

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

#31 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

Because session time is limited and we don't want to distract ourselves from the main plot with that kind of thing?   I generally ignore the official word on ship combat time and system transitions.  It's very hard to keep cinematic tension if it's two weeks from jumping into eldritch-horror system to getting to eldritch-horror planet of the damned or 30 minutes for time-to-target.   Pacing is just as important in a tabletop RPG as it is in a video game or a movie.

Auspex Officer: "Captain! Incoming enemy volley!" 

Captain: "Brace for impact!"  

(30 minutes later)

Captain: ........

Captain: ........

Captain: .........

(shells strike ship) 

Remember that you won't necessarily see them coming for that long. Laser weapons (such as sunsear macrobatteries) move at 1.0C and it's a fair bet that most particle/energy weapons (plasma, melta, non-laser lance) are pretty damn close.

That means that no matter how far away the enemy is, you only see the enemy firing their energy broadsides a fraction of a second before the shot arrives. It doesn't matter that it may have been in flight for a quarter of an hour, if you are looking at the enemy's broadside guns through a magnoscope auspex, you see the guns' energy profile spike and then a few seconds later half your lower decks are on fire. Screaming "Brace! Brace!" is a perfectly time-appropriate response.

For the sake of simplicity, I tend to handwave that hard rounds move at a similarly extreme speed.

• Alasseo, Radwraith, Tenebrae and 1 other like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS