Photo

What makes this better than a computer game?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I was playing Lord of the Rings online the other day, and i was sitting there thinking that i'd rather be playing the card game. And then i wondered Whats the reason?
The computer game should be better in every way — its got loads of real people playing with you, instead of maybe 1 or 2 (or none). There are more places to explore. More enemies and characters, more items... more variety... More of everything. And its got sounds and music too. But i still pulled out the card game which is basically just a load of cardboard and counters.
I think its just nice to have the stuff in your hands, to look at, instead of just mashing buttons on a mouse for an hour. And its much harder too, so its more of a challenge

#2 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Well, they are two completely different mediums for starters, meant to tackle on totally different sets of abilities. I enjoy mostly the "having the stuff in your hands" part, and I see each card as a little individual piece of artwork. But videogames are more about the action, the movement, reflexes, etc. While this game is about calculation, logical interactions, as well as theme. I don'0t think one is really more worthwhile than the other, it's just based on personal preference. I enjoy video/movement games from time to time, but I tend to enjoy card/board games more because of the strategic aspect, the artwork, the storybook aspect, etc. And while I agree that LOTRO has a much wider world to explore, I don't think it'll take that long for this game to catch up.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#3 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

I've never played LOTRO. Is there any strategy to it?

Edited by Bullroarer Took, 29 January 2014 - 09:20 PM.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#4 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Need for Cognition.

Computer games can be shiny and pretty, but some of us crave using our brains for complex cognitive tasks. Computer games calculate everything for you, while you just press the "attack" button. Card games can be, in many ways, more cognitively engaging. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#5 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

But videogames are more about the action, the movement, reflexes, etc.

No offense, but such sweeping generalisations are worthless. In fact, my collection of turn-based strategy games and RPGs may want to have a word with you. :) Not to mention superior reflexes may not win you the game, when your strategy or tactics is inferior.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#6 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

But videogames are more about the action, the movement, reflexes, etc.

No offense, but such sweeping generalisations are worthless. In fact, my collection of turn-based strategy games and RPGs may want to have a word with you. :) Not to mention superior reflexes may not win you the game, when your strategy or tactics is inferior.

You're right, and I stand corrected, then. I actually thought about strategy videogames but was too lazy to edit, lol. Though far from being the norm, strategic, turn based non-realtime video games exist, and in that case, the reason I prefer card and board games is that I just prefer to have tiny colorful objects in my hands.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 29 January 2014 - 10:21 PM.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#7 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

computer games suck. Card / Board / RPGs don't.

/end of thread
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#8 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

I've never played LOTRO. Is there any strategy to it?

No its a classic MMORPG like WOW,Rift,Warhammer online etc.Strategy in mmo's its different from a card game.In mmo's you must make a strategy how you will kill the boss in pve (knowing wen to heal,where and how to tank the boss etc) or to organize your raid in pvp (where you must attack,what keep you must take first etc).

That being said i like both video and card games but i play them for different reasons.Card games is more relaxed and more stategic but wen i am in a mood to kill a horde of brainless orcs with my elven sword a video game like War in the North or the upcoming Shadow of Mordor is a better choise.

As for LOTRO i have only two words:Hobbit guardian :angry: .Really Turbine???

#9 Legoland

Legoland

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Computergames can also be challanging and tricky. Even LOTRO. But the problem I always have is when I logged off and shut down the PC. I asked myself: What have I done the last hours? Moving a electronic 1001110010 character from one to another point fight xy monster get reward upgrad my equipment - fantastic. But nothing of that realy belongs to mi in real life. So I turn off the computer and had nothing. Just changed a few rows fo 1110110101101 numbers.

The card game challange me and it is tricky too. But in the end you still pull the box full of cards in your cupboard and know that you have a fantastic collection with a little worthiness.

Also I´m realy relay afraid about kind of gams with no realy end (not only MMORPG) since scientists discovered that exzessive gamers has the same reaction areas in theier brain as alcoholis (so they talk about an offical addiction)... But thats enough fodder of conversation for a new topic though.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” LotR The fellowship of the ring

#10 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

A computer game has one advantage: it eliminates all the chores like die-throwing by automating them.

Nowadays, they are no shallow that it's often more fun to play an - often more complex - card game. And it adds 'moddability': you can change the rules at will to make it more interesting. You can not always do that in a game on pc;

#11 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

I don't find videogames better that board games, neither the other way. They offer to me different things that I may prefer for different moments. I find board games more relaxing and enjoyable to play with others, competitive or not. But I also love how much concentration action videogames need to success, even more arcade games (Gradius, King of Fighters), but I usually play solo, not even on-line. I hate MMO games.

it adds 'moddability': you can change the rules at will to make it more interesting.

Yes, this is a great advantage of board games. Also is easy to add custom content.

Edited by karagh, 30 January 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#12 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:49 AM

Comparing a board/card game to a video game is like, comparing a book with a movie, no one can say this is better or worst, i'm a gamer all my life and my video game collection is probably bigger than my board game ( except sony prodacts i have any console up to day ) but i can say i like board games more, does this make board games better ? I thing no.

P.S. Lotr lcg is my number 1 card game, LOTRO is not even in my top 10 MMO games ;)

Edited by iznax, 30 January 2014 - 03:52 AM.

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#13 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

I think this is an interesting topic. Personally, I prefer Card / Board Games to Computer Games because they usually leave me more creative freedom (especially true for lotr lcg) and are more strategic and intense.

But I think the discussion will become somewhat more redundant as we see new technologies emerging that make virtual space increasingly transcend into the real world. Computer Games profit from elaborate graphics and sound and you can fully emerse yourself in them - within the scope defined by the designers. 

Computergames can also be challanging and tricky. Even LOTRO. But the problem I always have is when I logged off and shut down the PC. I asked myself: What have I done the last hours? Moving a electronic 1001110010 character from one to another point fight xy monster get reward upgrad my equipment - fantastic. But nothing of that realy belongs to mi in real life. So I turn off the computer and had nothing. Just changed a few rows fo 1110110101101 numbers.

I think this point strongly depends on your personal opinion. Computer games can provide a sensual and rich experience worthy of your time. Personally, I don't question my usage of time as long as I have fun. I don't think it's better to do something in real life just for the fact that there is a real effect on the physical environment. And as said before, the more ICT evolves, the more relevant virtual interaction becomes.

I can relate to the "holding stuff in your hands" aspect, as I also love to just handle cards, tokens and whatnought. However, in terms of community the online world clearly has its benefits and so do digital distribution models. Look at Solforge or Hearthstone...isn't it strange to play a "card" game without actual, physical cards? At first thought one might think so, but the fun factor remains almost intact once you're used to the new concept (but then again I did not find either one very interesting either ;) ). 

Ultimately, I think we will see an increased disappearance between "real" / "virtual" and "online" / "offlline" and this will affect card games, also. Especially competitive ones. But your personal preference remains your own choosing.

For me, whereas I do sometimes play computer games, I still prefer the "real deal" and actually holding my cards in hand. On the other hand I am startled at how comfortably I can pop a quest or two after dinner with OCTGN :P

Edited by faith_star83, 30 January 2014 - 06:30 AM.

#14 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

Need for Cognition.

Computer games can be shiny and pretty, but some of us crave using our brains for complex cognitive tasks. Computer games calculate everything for you, while you just press the "attack" button. Card games can be, in many ways, more cognitively engaging. 

Introducing : Path of Exile... Well, I spent more time on paper, planning my character, than actually playing the game (or close...)

As for Card Game vs Video Game : 

Card Game is a social event where you meet friend in real life and talk and interact and all that.

If there is a lotr lcg video game allowing custom scenario and custom card, I would love it, and I would never buy the card game if it is only for playing solo.

And then, everyone has his reason...

#15 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for raising this; it's a very interesting question.

I play Lotro occassionally as well and enjoy it, but I need to be playing with someone else. (I pretty much solo'd from level 1 to 60 on my main character a few years ago, and am now pretty fed up with playing alone.) The card game is entertaining in groups, but - to me - it also works fine as a single-player experience. Why? Honestly, I'm not sure. I suppose it is in a way more tangible than playing on the computer; I like buying and collecting the cards, and building decks with different characters and strategies. I like the strategy element of the card game, and, even though there are strategic classes to play in Lotro, the card game is more relaxing as you don't have to react quickly but can take time and consider your choices (and drink a cup of tea while thinking). I love playing my Lore-Master in kinship groups, but it demands your constant attention, and you speak of little else than the objective and enemies at hand with your co-players. Sitting around a table with your friends is an entirely different experience - and the battles are just as exciting without "smack!" "clash!" "boom!" "*wilhelm scream*".

I was a pretty serious PC gamer a few years ago, MMO and otherwise, but now I only play casually, and mostly to talk to friends who live far away. Now, I have come to prefer board games.

Short answer: digital and board gaming are totally different media, and I enjoy both in different situations.

#16 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

How about playing Lord of the Rings LCG on the computer? :D

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#17 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

one advantage for the card game — you are also building up a collection at the same time, and it's nice to see your collection of cards grow and expand as time goes on. you don't get that with a computer game

and one advantage for the computer game (specifically LOTR online) — there is a lot more continuity from one game to the next. what you did last week effects what you can do this week. your character's stats get better and his equipment gets better the more time you put into it, which can be satisfying... trying to get better stuff than everyone else

but it looks like the card game is starting to address that with the saga expansions, with all their boons and burdens ideas, and i think it will be nice to see some more of that. picking the card game up tomorrow and having no real continuation from what happened today is it's only real flaw i reckon.

i know they've got nightmare mode, and all that stuff, but i don't think that is the same thing. i like what they are doing with boons and burdens much better. i hope they expand it to include lots more equipment and people too, so you can only use them once you have 'unlocked' them

Edited by Cunir, 30 January 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#18 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

I like the card game more for a few reasons:

1. Less influenced by the Peter Jackson alternate universe.
  2. The cards are beautiful.  I've played LotRO and their characters are NOT.
  3. Most of the time, MMORPGs limit their social interaction to sparce typing or *maybe* voice chat (or emotive animations?).  When I play the LCG, I invite a friend over and we chat and work out strategies face-to-face.
  4. When LotRO is a few years old, it will be shut down and you will be left with an expensive splash screen that tells you how much they thank you for playing all these years.  The LCG will still be in your box, ready to play.
  5. I can control Glorfindel, who makes the Nazgul soil their robes.

• Olorin93 likes this

#19 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

I can control Glorfindel, who makes the Nazgul soil their robes.

This is very true.

It is also true that the card game can be played indefinitely whereas you never know how long an online game will be available.

As Cunir says, it would be nice with some more continuity in the card game. I haven't played any of the saga expansions so I don't know about boons and burdens, but it sounds promising.

#20 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

I like the card game more for a few reasons:

1. Less influenced by the Peter Jackson alternate universe.
  2. The cards are beautiful.  I've played LotRO and their characters are NOT.
  3. Most of the time, MMORPGs limit their social interaction to sparce typing or *maybe* voice chat (or emotive animations?).  When I play the LCG, I invite a friend over and we chat and work out strategies face-to-face.
  4. When LotRO is a few years old, it will be shut down and you will be left with an expensive splash screen that tells you how much they thank you for playing all these years.  The LCG will still be in your box, ready to play.
  5. I can control Glorfindel, who makes the Nazgul soil their robes.

1.Many people don't like Peter Jackson's material from the movies but some  things like sir Ian Mckellen as Gandalf, Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn,Galadriel,Saruman(sir Christopher Lee met Tolkien) and the places,.costumes etc are like they poped up from the books.Sure many things were wierd and far from what Tolkien wrote but i must give a big thanks to Peter Jackson for bringing Middle Earth to life.

2.i' am 100 % with you.

3.Meeting with my friends in real life is always better than speaking to ventrilo,skyoe etc.I agree with you again.

4.Again i agree.

5.Amen brother.If they also give me a Galadriel  hero i will be the happiest gamer in the world :D .

How about playing Lord of the Rings LCG on the computer? :D

The best thing of card games is that you hold the cards in your hands play them on the table and have fun with your friends.Clicking on a virtual card and play alone in your pc makes the magic of a card game disappears.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS