Nightmare Decks Info

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

For those of you that have played the first 6 (some of you maybe 9) nightmare packs, what do you think of them.  The amount of info on these (especially the first 3 Mirkwood ones) is very very little.  Which ones add the most difficulty, which add the least?  Do the new mechanics and cards to some of them make the quests a lot better while also being more difficult?  I don't want to know all the cards and mechanics (to keep it a surprise) but without mentioning specifics, anybody mind giving a little review on each of them?  They are pretty much the only thing I don't have yet but I'm still not sure if I want to spend the money on them.

Thanks

Khamul

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#2 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Very short review for the first 4:

Mirkwood.  Really penalizes exhausting characters, so need to be very careful with that(one enemy gets +1attack for each exhausted character).  New Ungoliant Spawn is very nasty if she pops up during questing.  Adds high level of difficulty compared to normal

Anduin:  New cards can bring Hill Trolls back from Victory, more surging conditions, can get out of hand quickly.

Dol Guldur:  Basically impossible solo now.  New mechanic where your prisoner can be killed and you lose the game.  Would love to try multi, as it is verrry thematic now.

Gollum:  Unclaimed Clues go onto Mordor enemies at end of round.  New card that becomes engaged with you when 'looking' at a the encounter deck.  Still not super hard, but certainly gets around the strategy of just leaving clues unclaimed.

#3 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Also, if you want to see some spoilers, Grey Compant and Cardboard of the Rings have some card images on Facebook.

#4 Dedalus

Dedalus

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Also, you can download Core Set Nightmare decks image packs from octgn.gamersjudgement. They have been uploaded yesterday.  ;)

Edited by Dedalus, 29 January 2014 - 01:58 PM.

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay."

My blog - 
http://theeanvil.blogspot.com/

#5 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

In brief, the encounter decks are now more thematic, more synergistic, more difficult, and just better constructed than the originals.

I'm curious to see the Nightmare decks for the encounter decks that are already thematic/synergistic but I'm sure they'll make them even more so, or just more difficult.

I love them.

#6 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Do you guys find yourselves playing the nightmare scenarios quite a bit?  When you're trying to figure out what quest to play, and you scan over your options, which ones do you have the feeling of "ehhhhh I just really don't wan't to do that one" and which ones are you like " ooo, that one is fun.  I think I might play that one"

Since I play multiplayer only about 2 times every 3 months, I'm thinking I won't get Dol Guldur.  But are the rest all totally worth getting and amazing?  From the little I've seen, Passage, Anduin, Gollum are all really good with nightmare.  Carrok seems a bit repetitive as the old one.  Same old feeling.  And Rhosgobel I'm not sure.

Thanks

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#7 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Do you guys find yourselves playing the nightmare scenarios quite a bit?  When you're trying to figure out what quest to play, and you scan over your options, which ones do you have the feeling of "ehhhhh I just really don't wan't to do that one" and which ones are you like " ooo, that one is fun.  I think I might play that one"

Since I play multiplayer only about 2 times every 3 months, I'm thinking I won't get Dol Guldur.  But are the rest all totally worth getting and amazing?  From the little I've seen, Passage, Anduin, Gollum are all really good with nightmare.  Carrok seems a bit repetitive as the old one.  Same old feeling.  And Rhosgobel I'm not sure.

Thanks

Yes, I play them every time I get together with buddies. I'll probably never play the original versions again - or at least, not as often. Carrock is a blast and not repetitive, at all (to me).

The purpose in the design of nightmare decks is to:

A) make original quests more thematic (if possible)

B) make the quests more difficult (but not more frustrating)

C) make for a "tighter" experience

D) counter many popular strategies for beating the original scenario, so players have to approach the quest differently

If any of these appeal to you, I say get them all! :)

• OnkelZorni and danpoage like this

#8 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

My copies of the Nightmare Decks for Hunt for Gollum, Journey to Rhosgobel and Conflict at the Carrock arrived this morning. Looking forward to giving them a bash later.

I found the nightmare decks for passage through mirkwood and journey down the anduin to be a blast. Added great twists to old scenarios. I must admit, though, that despite ordering the nightmare pack for Dol Guldur at the same time as passage and anduin, as a mainly solo player, I have yet to build the courage to try it....

#9 soullos

soullos

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

I have all the nightmare decks released so far (9 of them I think?) and I've yet to try them out. I'm afraid haha. I suck at this game. Easy mode gives me a challenge for crying out loud. Might give a go at some point, probably start with Passage and for some odd reason I want to do Hills of Emyn Muil as well.

#10 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

I have all the nightmare decks released so far (9 of them I think?) 

Dang.  How do you get all them before they are even being sold?  

#11 soullos

soullos

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

I have all the nightmare decks released so far (9 of them I think?) 

Dang.  How do you get all them before they are even being sold?  

I buy the game night kits from my local gaming store. They let me special order them. :)

#12 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Once I got the nightmare deck I very rarely play any other versions. Most cases the new cards are better though there are a few game overs before the 1st turn even starts in some of them, but this is fairly rare to actually happen.

I would say Hunt for Golum Nightmare add the lest difficulty of the sets so far.

I buy the game night kits from my local gaming store. They let me special order them.

insane.. how much dose that cost?

Edited by booored, 01 February 2014 - 06:12 PM.

• Glaurung likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#13 soullos

soullos

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

I buy the game night kits from my local gaming store. They let me special order them.

$30 a pop.

#14 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

rofl.. idiotic.

Edited by booored, 01 February 2014 - 10:52 PM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#15 soullos

soullos

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

For the entire game night kit you idiot, not each nightmare pack.

#16 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

yeah cause nightmare packs are not massively over priced as it is you want to pay even more... good thinking.

#17 IchabodtheShadow

IchabodtheShadow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

Not to mention game night kits come with sick playmats. That sell on ebay for atleast $30. Seems like a great value, my flagstore will only order them for events to keep it legit, which I respect, but wish I could get those game night kits!

Edited by IchabodtheShadow, 02 February 2014 - 12:39 AM.

X-wing miniatures: 5 TIE/LN, 2 TIE/ADV, 3 TIE/IN, 3 TIE/SA, 2 FIRESPRAY-31, 1 Lambda-class T-4A shuttle, 2 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 2 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290.

#18 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

Once I got the nightmare deck I very rarely play any other versions. Most cases the new cards are better though there are a few game overs before the 1st turn even starts in some of them, but this is fairly rare to actually happen.I would say Hunt for Golum Nightmare add the lest difficulty of the sets so far.

I like HFG. But is to easy to play now....so I was hoping for NM version.... tell me please is really no challenge there.....?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#19 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Once I got the nightmare deck I very rarely play any other versions. Most cases the new cards are better though there are a few game overs before the 1st turn even starts in some of them, but this is fairly rare to actually happen.I would say Hunt for Golum Nightmare add the lest difficulty of the sets so far.

I like HFG. But is to easy to play now....so I was hoping for NM version.... tell me please is really no challenge there.....?

there is more of a challenge, but it isn't as hard as some of the other nightmare decks.

#20 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

yeah cause nightmare packs are not massively over priced as it is you want to pay even more... good thinking.

Do not call him "idiot" and do not tell him how to spend his money! That is really low class reaction.

• Narsil0420 and Dwarf king Bronze beard like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS