Character roleplay, capabilities, etc.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Drachdhar

Drachdhar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

The most important question is what sort of character do you want to play? There are some Rogue Trader to Only War conversions lying around that open up character building a little more, but at the cost of not defining a role as firmly. 

Hmm, can someone points to any of these conversions btw, or possibly a BC one...? After playing Black Crusade alot the Rank system feels so... restrictive and un-intuitive...

#22 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Here's the Rogue Trader one, which I strongly recommend. Absolutely fantastic. https://drive.google...dnM&authuser=0#

#23 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

What Drach said.  Your Seneschal should be a spymaster and merchant, dealing with little details and arranging for the local crime lords, pirate princes, Guard regiments and naval patrols to be indebted to you or otherwise not in your way.

That said, when you tow a crippled and scavenged Imperial Navy frigate into Port Wander and claim it as salvage, the Navy can ask "where did you get that" and you are 100% justified in replying "I found it, now pay me and piss off."

As long as you are outside Imperial space proper (such as the Koronus Expanse) you as an individual have the authority to do anything you want... as long as you send an appropriate tithe back to the Imperium.  As long as they get their cut and you don't obviously run afoul of the Inquisition or turn to Chaos, the Imperium doesn't care.  Arbitrators, known for keeping the structures of the Imperium nice and orderly, have to ask (nicely, even) you to come back to the station-house after you shoot an Adept in the face right in front of them "so that the proper paperwork can be filed."  And you are justified in saying "No, I'm busy exploiting the Expanse as is my Emperor-given right and duty."

The other party members are your tools- of course they do certain things better than you, just as a boltgun kills better than a fist or a screwdriver drives screws than clutching fingers.  It is their duty and their privilege to serve you; just as the boltgun and the screwdriver are naturally tools, so too are your companions.  They may (and should) excel in their tasks, but you are the engine which drives them, the figure which gives them purpose.

So be arrogant.  Be a jerk.  Be pompous.  Be greedy.  Take your minions for granted, then punish them for failing you.  Model yourself after Darth Vader, for your power is equally absolute so long as you are within your sphere of influence. Or model yourself after a Viking high chief, commanding with an easy, but firm hand and sharing the spoils of your victories with your vassal-servants.  I also recommend reviewing the "You know you're playing Rogue Trader" thread and treating it as a to-do list.

• Drachdhar and Tenebrae like this

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

#24 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:58 AM

That said, when you tow a crippled and scavenged Imperial Navy frigate into Port Wander and claim it as salvage, the Navy can ask "where did you get that" and you are 100% justified in replying "I found it, now pay me and piss off."

If you happened to have "engaged in aggressive negotiations" said Frigate and "salvaged it," hopefully you blocked their Astropath from sending messages, jammed radio waves, "disposed" of all survivors, and mind wiped the crew on your ship was in not so faithful/loyal to you.  If not, "Pirate branded you will be," in a Yoda voice. 

The other party members are your tools- of course they do certain things better than you, just as a boltgun kills better than a fist or a screwdriver drives screws than clutching fingers.  It is their duty and their privilege to serve you; just as the boltgun and the screwdriver are naturally tools, so too are your companions.  They may (and should) excel in their tasks, but you are the engine which drives them, the figure which gives them purpose.

All though I do agree with this (to an extent), it's a horrible way to play if you are too.....  bossy? (Not quite the word I'm lucking for).  No player wants to get pushed around by another player in game.  With that said, you very well can't push around the AdMech, Astropath, or the Navigator PC/NPC's.  Heck, for that matter, pushing around your Arch-Militant could get you "accidently" killed when attacked by a wild beast exploring a planet, the Void-Master could say the shuttle vented itself while in space due a "hull breach," the Missionary can one day leave your employment, and then later you hear you are branded a heretic by the Ecc. because of some religious zealot named (enter Missionary's name).  Just saying.

• Annaamarth likes this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#25 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

The best way to handle the "RT is boss but i dont want to literally boss around the other characters" issue is as follows:

• You get to a situation where a decision by a leadership figure needs to be made.
  • Have an out of character discussion with the other players, asking what they would like to happen.
  • Come to a consensus (RT decides ties for obvious reasons) about what to do.
  • RT acts out the decision and orders appropriate characters to action.

This means everyone feels listened to, even if it is only out of character, and the RT comes across as a confident leader type character.

• Nameless2all and Drachdhar like this

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#26 Annaamarth

Annaamarth

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Nameless and Kasatka both make excellent points.

Adding to Kasatka's list of techniques, I also recommend the 'asking experts for advice' method, as follows:

Like I said- the other players are your tools.  Use them doesn't have to mean 'just tell them what to do,' but should also mean 'use them for their experience and rely on their knowledge.'

This leads to scenes such as those in Star Trek where the captain- who is the boss, period- asks the science officer, medical officer, tactical officer, engineering officer or whomever what their expert opinion is.

Rather than just issuing orders in ground combat, tell your arch-militant to take the lead.  Ask your techpriest whether engaging in certain tech-heresies that may be profitable would be against his sensibilities.  Tell your navigator to plot the best course from one place to another, but be ready to listen to his advice if he says such a course might be dangerous.

RIP AND TEAR THROUGH THE TIDE OF BLOOD WITH BATTLESUIT PILOT. SUPLEX HIVE TYRANTS. DO WHATEVER, YOU'RE PILOTING A HUGE-ASS MECHA.

-Errant, on how Rogue Trader ought to be played

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS