Photo

Will we ever see a real Online Netrunner game from FFG?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Vonderbread

Vonderbread

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Dear FFG. After seeing a lot of buzz about even more 3rd party, online ways to play Netrunner I wanted to say that if FFG wanted to make it, I would gladly pay a small subscription fee for a professionally done online version of the real Netrunner cardgame. And for what it is worth I would still be buying the physical cards. In fact if FFG did decide to make an online version of Netrunner I think it would be a wise move to just include online codes with each Data Pack that unlocks the Data Packs online versions of the cards.

OCTOGN is fine and all and these other 3rd party ones look promising, but I would really prefer that there "be only one" Netrunner Online and it only makes sense for FFG to be the one to make and sanction it. I encourage FFG to seek out these 3rd party devs and hire them up to band together and make something awesome. Clearly these developers are fans themselves so why not?

Step 1. Make Online version of Netrunner.
Step 2. Include online codes with the Physical Data Packs to unlock online cards.
Step 3. Charge small fee for service or boost price of data packs.
Step 4. Profit!

Will we ever see a real Online Netrunner game from FFG?

#2 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

I'm sure it's occurred to them. Hopefully they recognize that their game benefits tremendously from the online community and the ability to play easily and conveniently online is a huge reason that their Regional, National, and World Championship tournaments were so successful. I hope they find a solution to nuture and support this aspect of play.

#3 Hans Chung-Otterson

Hans Chung-Otterson

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

I dearly hope they do it. If they did, my best guess would be a "buy digital data packs" model, which I think is just dandy. A "small" subscription fee and free access with the purchase of physical packs is not going to happen. A digital implementation of the game would seek to bring in a new audience (rather than just give us players more to play with, though of course we're one audience for the possible digital game, too). 

Charge $6.99 for Data Packs or something like that, $29.99 for 3-ofs of the core set. Or maybe release "faction packs", of 3-ofs of core set factions for $6.99 each ($29.99 for 3-ofs of the core set feels low), giving the neutrals free as soon as you make a faction purchase.

MTGO charges for digital cards and does big business. Paying real money for digital items is a Thing, and it has been for a long time now, and it will be for a long time to come.

Edited by Hans Chung-Otterson, 31 January 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#4 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

There's speculation that this is something FFG are actively looking at. Given recent activity around OCTGN support on cardgamedb and related press statements, plus their current job openings, we could be seeing the first steps toward a digital platform.

This IS speculation though. Until we hear an official announcement I'm keeping my expectations low to avoid disappointment.
  • Hans Chung-Otterson likes this

#5 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

A "small" subscription fee and free access with the purchase of physical packs is not going to happen. A digital implementation of the game would seek to bring in a new audience.

You know this for a fact? I don't think MtG is necessarily what to look at as a basis for comparison. As shown elsewhere, MtG differs from ANR in nearly every identifiable particular.

Firstly, MtG has significant barriers to entry just due to the cost of buying cards which I would think affects the playerbase for the online game. Plenty of people might want to avoid having to spend a few hundred dollars per set to play the game, so WOTC would not want to miss out on that revenue. ANR has lower costs overall and the impression I get online is that nearly everyone who plays the game also owns the game, so I don't think they'd want to cannibalize one audience for another.

For MtG, due to the randomness, there's just no feasible way to package physical purchases with online keys. That problem obviously doesn't exist due to the fixed-distribution model of the LCG. Its whole principle is WYSIWYG. At the risk of straining the connection, more and more these days, when you buy a thing you're also buying the rights to digital copies of that thing--buy a Blu-Ray disc and more often than not it comes with both a DVD edition and a digital key.

I also don't know where you came up with the basis for your price points--remember, the card pool for ANR is dramatically smaller than MtG and is bifurcated between Corp and Runner sides to boot. Does MtG charge $0.35 per card?

#6 Hans Chung-Otterson

Hans Chung-Otterson

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

A "small" subscription fee and free access with the purchase of physical packs is not going to happen. A digital implementation of the game would seek to bring in a new audience.

You know this for a fact?

Dude, of course I don't know it for a fact. I'm stating my opinion blankly. I'm not saying I can't be wrong.

As for the price point, I just pulled it outta my ass. Around 1/2 the price for digital cards seems legit. MTGO charges $3.99 for boosters, which is $0.26 per card. However, that's the same price they charge for physical cards--and I really don't think an ANRO would charge $15 for digital data packs.

However, you do make a good point about MTG and ANR models being fundamentally different, so possibly that would affect digital pricing in a way that's hard to predict.

I can see it going to some other model--subscription, say--but I think the chances of having physical packs scanned and put into the digital game are extremely low.

Edited by Hans Chung-Otterson, 31 January 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#7 jreddick

jreddick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

In the CEO's Interview he did with TC at Worlds (Fast Forward to 54:45 https://www.youtube....h?v=9e4NeNgTDso) he mentioned that they're looking at apps and other digital forms for their games, but that they're moving very slowly and carefully. He also said that the games that they have put out apps for have seen a increase in popularity since the digital version was released.

it would make my year if they announced a online version of ANY of the LCGs. My productivity levels in life would decrease massively if there was a Netrunner iOS app (see; never do anything else again). 

I could see them having a download code in each data pack to get the digital cards. However, I would gladly pay a couple dollars a month for the digital packs without thinking twice. Especially if it funded a premium app for the game.

I get all kinds of excited when I think about being able to play at any time with anyone from any meta (I don't have a PC so I can't get on OCTGN,) and really hope that it becomes a reality at some point. not to mention online tournaments, leagues, and championships... Prizes like 'Online World Champion gets first round bye at worlds' comes to mind, not to mention digital swag like virtual play mats, alt art cards and badges/avatars to show your accomplishments. Oh, the possibilities...

Edited by jreddick, 31 January 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#8 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

The main problem is, Netrunner is owned by Hasbro, so FFG would need to be careful how they get the rights for an online platform and how big a percentage Hasbro would get as a result.

The other obvious issue is that Netrunner is constantly evolving thus would need a regular team for maintenance and DLC/patch creation. A lot to ask for a comp who do board and not video games.

#9 jreddick

jreddick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

The main problem is, Netrunner is owned by Hasbro, so FFG would need to be careful how they get the rights for an online platform and how big a percentage Hasbro would get as a result.

The other obvious issue is that Netrunner is constantly evolving thus would need a regular team for maintenance and DLC/patch creation. A lot to ask for a comp who do board and not video games.

I think the your first point isn't much of a concern since the vast majority of FFG's titles are licenses. And they seem to be pretty good at managing them. 

On your 2nd point; I could totally see an outside company handling the App and updates. Much like Playdek's Ascension, or Summoner Wars. However, given the positions they've been hiring and his comments in the interview, it looks like they're working on stuff internally. I would think it would be manageable to keep up with Data packs since it seems they're planned out fairly far in advance.

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if we see another board game or something more manageable before they tackle an LCG. 

#10 Dstinct

Dstinct

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Netrunner being owned by Hasbro is an issue compared to other competitors. If Hasbro decided not to renew their license, we can continue to play with our physical cards if we want, but FFG will have to shutdown their servers.

If I would go against the other guys and do a subscription model: $10/month or $100/year. They can also include a redemption card in products for a free month of play. All the cards are available to the players while subscribed, and there can be limited edition backgrounds or avatars for players. I don't think limited edition art or animation will work because there is no way to trade for them as most players will have little of value to trade with. If they wanted to, FFG could award physical product to large tournament winners, be it datapacks or alt art cards.

As for design style, I would like them to model it after Soulforge or Shadow Era in terms of platform availability. I would love to be able to play against computer people on my tablet. I don't know if a phone will work as the screen is so small. I tried SE on my iPhone and it was pretty touch to navigate.

#11 AwakeLand

AwakeLand

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

It would be possible to have a game online or app with similar play mechanic, perhaps procedural created virtual 'cards.' Would not be Netrunner, but could be similar, the idea of ice, subroutines, ice-breakers, and so on. Someone is probably going to make something similar, I mean look at the popularity on BGG, off the charts!

It would not need to be official Netrunner to scratch the Netrunner itch, just have a similar play mechanic. Guessing someone will create something similar online or as an App if it doesn't happen for Netrunner.

Still, I'm guessing we all hope it is Netrunner. Yeah, it would keep me from ever getting anything done again, on second thought, better if they *don't* make an online / app version of Netrunner, it would be too addictive. Worse than any addiction I could imagine. The whole bluff / asymmetric elements are like a super modern cool and much more deep poker.

Please don't make an App version of Netrunner, think of the addiction it will create! Think of all the new Netrunner players to play, online ranking, clean rules, the thought boggles the mind!  :D

#12 jkl620

jkl620

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

FFG will not put this online until the industry improves the current standard of ICE. FFG is very concerned about the security of it's agendas, even if they have to take some bad publicity in the mean time.

• MarthWMaster, Hans Chung-Otterson and Smilingknight like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS