• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

For those of you who haven't read this already at BGG:

At the moment there is an interesting kickstarter project ongoing, which aim it is to produce custom dices for Lovecroft-themed board games. There will be dices that show Elder Signs for successes and tiny numbers for other gameplay purposes. These dices will be produced in three different colors: green for normal status, blue for 'blessed' and red for 'cursed'.

Im not involved in the project (except for I am backing it) but I thought it would be nice to share it over here as well...

If you interested check the kickstarter page for further information regarding the project:

here

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

That's curious, especially considering that Fantasy Flight already has those. And while they're a bit more garish, they at least print all numbers.

#3 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

I don't know about the original intention of this project, probably it had something to do with the availability of the FFG-Dices, but you should not be misled by the first picture at kickstarter: the dices there will also have all numbers, just as elaborated in the more detailed description.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

That's basically the dice ColtsFan raised funds for for several years on BGG. I don't see the reason to go via KS: all other runs were done directly by Brian on the forum (got mine this way).

Happy to see the project still alive, but I've got several question marks in my head.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 ced1106

ced1106

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Chessex basically told the current project on BGG they weren't interested. The dice weren't a priority *and* the dice were a buck apiece. If anyone's waiting on the BGG project... let's hope the tentacled one doesn't wake up first!

The creator of the KS project was part this project (and is designing his own self-published games), so did the networking and contacted manufacturers himself, bringing down the price below 65 cents per die. $9 gets you 14 dice and $4 per large dice bag!

Edited by ced1106, 28 January 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

I see. Thanks for the summary of the past events. Sorry to hear Cessex ditched the project. Do you know what factory was then supposed to do create the dice? Prices are good, though (somehow cheaper than Brian's last run, could be?)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Julia,

I was surprised, as well.  I've been in touch with Tom (the Dice KS Project Owner) over the past few weeks and we're trying to build a bit of synergy between our projects (both fully-funded!) and he had mentioned that Chessex simply wasn't interested, which had also shocked me as this would be "found money" as they say.  Like Brian, I had an order back in Oct '10 for approximately 1,000 dice.  Not an insignificant amount of money for one order.

Ciao,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS