Card Sleeves

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

hah!  I don't mind bridging my cards even though I cared enough to put them all in sleeves.  But I am a horrible shuffler overall... and the sleeves are so slippery, it makes it worst.  Most of my shuffling I end up doing by dealing out the deck into 6 stacks, then randomly putting them back together.

I would love an automatic shuffler, but I am sure nothing exists for sleeved cards, and anyway the potential to damage the cards would be a lot higher in the cold, unloving hands of a machine...

#22 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

I have tried them before... not for collectable games.. just poker with the guys. One of our wives got it for a mate for xmas. They work.. but they are really noisy and they do damage the cards, badly.. at least the cheap one we had.

If someone could invent a shuffler that would work on sleeved cards (dragon shields please) and show they are not destructive, then they would make a fortune in kickstarter.

Games like Arkham Horror need this so badly, that many people do not even sue the cards and not use mobile apps to draw the cards.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#23 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

Most of my shuffling I end up doing by dealing out the deck into 6 stacks, then randomly putting them back together.

Same.  That's the only reason I don't have sleeves for my cards.  When you shuffle them that way they don't get damaged.

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#24 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Funny, I actually find shuffling with sleeves so much easier than shuffling by hand. Check out this video to see my preferred method. It's fast, easy, and works great.

I find the trick with sleeves is to train yourself to always hold your cards and decks by the edges instead of trying to compress them (compressing them causes them to spray everywhere, not fun). When you're shuffling, just let your grip slack off a little so the cards open up and just jam your piles together. Presto! shuffled deck.

• Fippin likes this

#25 Fippin

Fippin

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:35 AM

Ok. Guess I'm a sucker. I started using the FFG art sleeves that match the card backs. (Of course clear would have gotten me the same result, right?) Still they look great even though they are more expensive.

I'm a terrible shuffler. But I feel better after seeing Style75's video, because that seems a lot easier than what I've been doing. How many times do you split and combine?

#26 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:51 AM

As many times as you like.

Tragic did a cool bit on shuffling on one of his vids.. even has a guest spot fomr the mad Russian.

In it he linked a cool tutorial vid

Edited by booored, 04 February 2014 - 06:02 AM.

• Fippin likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#27 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Dang, both videos are pretty cool with different shuffling ideas. Thanks for posting those guys!

#28 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

So far Ive had my Fantasy flight clear sleeves for almost a week and i still could not be more pleased so far. They are not the cheapest sleeves but they are definitely not the most expensive either. I find them right in the middle of the road. I shuffle some a little like the first video above then use the old random 8 stacks trick and then cut and it seems to work well most of the time without any problems. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS