Photo

Episode 25 of the Order 66 Podcast is UP! Starship Combat with Sam Stewart...

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 Agatheron

Agatheron

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

My current work commute is rather lengthy, at least an hour in each direction. While I work from home 2 days out of the week, I've used those commutes to listen to the podcast. This past Sunday was my first time listening via Echo Base (live), and I really appreciated being able to respond to things as they came up, and it felt like I was contributing to the show. Granted, I won't be able to always do that, but I'll certainly try.

#142 lupex

lupex

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for responding to the comments and criticism Dave, on the whole I enjoy the show, some bits more than others but you can't please everyone all of the time and nor should you. I don't mind slight digressions if it doesn't detract from the show or throw a guess off his/her subject, I don't mind some clowning around and geek references as we all probably relate to this, I don't mind adult language but I haven't appreciated some of the recent outbursts (just saying), but I have appreciated a lot of fun and informative discussions from a podcast organised by two guys that seem to care a great deal about this community.

I welcome a tighter format, although as I listen to the show on long drives I don't mind the length of the podcast it just needs to keep the content more relevant (slight diversions accepted), so don't change things too much as you wouldn't want to throw out sections that listeners really enjoy.

I honestly can't imagine how you could fit everything in within 75 minutes without becoming an infomercial, and we can't have that as people really won't listen. As an aside, I first listened to this podcast at the birth of the FFG Star Wars system and this is the first podcast that I have actually stuck with as I usually get fed-up with hosts being either opinionated or very boring. Whilst you guys may sometimes be the former, you will certainly never be the latter. :-)
  • kaosoe likes this

#143 snapeye

snapeye

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

The changes sound good; thanks so much for making the account and commenting here, Dave. I'll definitely tune back in during that time frame. Some of the tone has bothered me and I don't regularly listen. But I can tell there are some great nuggets of discussion in there. Having FFG reps on so often makes it feel like an endorsed podcast for the game; so while it's certainly not up to the hosts to maintain professionalism, it is up to FFG to choose who they want to associate with for their company. I want them to have a show on which they can appear and talk about Star Wars! Without the women or the trans-woman I game with cringing!

A question about something on the starship show...

They talked about using the Aiming rules during starship combat in order to target specific components. The implications aren't outlined in the rules. Taking a setback die in order to, if successful, roll on the component critical list seems imbalanced, so I don't think I'd do that. What do other people do?

#144 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

I allow them to take 2 Setback (or 1 with a double aim) to hit a Component. The Component can be fixed with an Average mechanics check, but the attacker can spend Advantages to add a Setback die to the Mechanics roll.

(Very similar to what is described under 3 Advantages on the table on p.236)

• kaosoe likes this

#145 Lakridspibe

Lakridspibe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

Having FFG reps on so often makes it feel like an endorsed podcast for the game.

For me, that's the main problem with those shows, the hosts seem starstruck and not willing to debate any of the developers' choices; the developers are never challenged in any way. And while I realize that the mandate of the podcast is not hardball journalistic integrity, I'd like to see a real discussion once in a while, not just knee-jerk affirmation that every answer is "cool". 

Don't get me wrong, EotE is my favorite rules system I've used in my 30-year tabletop gaming career, but I bet we'd learn more about the game design philosophy of FFG if the hosts occasionally went "well, why not this instead?"

GM Dave: props for responding in this thread. I look forward to a taste of your segment contributions.

#146 Zar

Zar

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

I really don't mind how they do their podcast.  Whether it's viewed as the mouthpiece of FFG or not, it's their show.  I enjoy listening to them talk about things that my own group talk about.  

I do have to say that their interviews do seem way biased and could use a bit more debate.  As a GM and Player of EotE, I have some issues with the game (especially space combat) and reading these forums tells me that I'm not the only one.  I didn't find the starship combat podcast that useful because it basically told me how I should love the rules as they are.  Granted it's a little late to make changes to the rules, I just wanted to hear more "Why did they do this?"s than "How does this works?'s" . 

And really, please don't shorten the podcasts.  My favorite episodes are several hours long and there aren't enough of them lately for them to be short.

• Lakridspibe likes this

#147 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

Quick question around 2:15-2:18 or so you guys start talking about component hits. Now I know this is achievable through a crit but in your example on the cast you talk about a player going for such a hit instead of doing damage when they gathered a high dice pool, I'm not finding this in the rules can someone clarify for me where that is? Is it just like shooting a weapon out of someones hand or...?

Also I know you can achieve this by choosing the spend 3 advantages on knocking one out (likely instead of spending them on crit), I'm talking more about purposely taking set back dice to do so.

Edited by Dark Bunny Lord, 18 April 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#148 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

The Aim maneuver on p.201 says this in not so many words. (It's mostly focused on personal combat, but it's applicable to Gunnery as well)

For how I run it, just look a few posts up from this one.

#149 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Zar,

I listened to Episode 25 a number of times to absorb the 'how to run starship combat' stuff. 

Once I did that, my starship combats started to be more fun. For me this was all the "why" that I needed.

• Gallandro likes this

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS