Help me build a ship

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

With no more Battlefleet Gothic, I am forced to look elsewhere for my space ship models. Not that I'm complaining. In fact, I've found a ship I'm very happy with:

large_2390_SPGFAAT02.jpg

However, there is one small problem....

All I know about it is a picture since I've never collected anything from Spartan Games. There were some downloadable stats for the ship but, without knowing the game, it was all gibberish to me. What I have picked up are the following:

3 Shields.

Forward Strength 8 Torpedoes.

It mentions 4 Wings which I assume to mean squadrons of attack craft.

From the photographs I think it looks like it could be cruiser/grand cruiser sized. Personally, I thought of using it as a Grand Cruiser since it's clearly armed to the teeth. I'm going to think about this myself, but I've only got the Rogue Trader rulebook and Battlefleet Koronus to work with.

Your thoughts on how to make this into my Rogue Trader ship would be appreciated. Especially if you know Firestorm Armada and know what the ship is capable of.

#2 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

I wanted to see what the stats were and they were gibberish to me.

(For those interested, some Googling resulted in this: http://www.spartanga...urces/downloads

Look for the "Alliance of Kurak", the Ganak is on P4.)

I have no idea what the stats indicate... other than a guess that it's a lot of macrocannon on the broadsides. Seems to even have Torpedoes on the Port and Starboard and has Medical and Repair shuttles. 

I'd say Battlecruiser or Grand Cruiser stats to work from. The Mars could work, replacing the Nova Cannon with Torpedo Tubes. Or perhaps the Repulsive could be a good base. 

It's sad they cancelled BFG. It was never properly supported in my eyes, and I knew a lot of people who collected them, including myself. 

• Tenebrae likes this

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#3 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

According to the conversion rules, three void shields means Grand Cruiser unless you're using Archeotech. Since torpedoes can only (normally) go in the Prow then you're looking at a Repulsive. You'll have ample power and space to work with, so I would give it a Torpedo Launcher in Prow, a Voidsunder in Dorsal, two launch bays and two Hecutor Broadsides in Port/Starboard.

• Sebastian Yorke likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#4 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

I was going to go for Grand Cruiser with 3 Void Shields.

Prow Torpedoes. Though I'll stick with Strength 6 and not try copy the actual FSA Kurak ship.

No port or starboard torpedoes.

Launch bays are a must here too. In fact, such a big heavy brute needs some fast moving support. Fighters to tackle enemy bombers and torpedoes are a must, while sending out bombers to catch enemy ships if they try to get away.

So that was the easy decisions to make.

Lances and Broadsides are the next issue here. I'm thinking that Erathia has made a good suggestion. Later, I'll do some notes and maths to create my ship. I've really got to pick up Into the Storm, but I'll use the books I've got to piece the ship together.

As for the medical and repair shuttles Marwynn mentioned, this could be a good addition to the ship. It is meant to be a long distance ship, capable of being self-reliant for at least twelve months.

#5 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

So after much mathematics and head scratching, this is what I've been able to come up with. Please bear in mind that I am a generous Games Master so have done some tweaks to make it more like it looks:

BARON EUPHRATES

Based on the Hull of an Avenger-Class Grand Cruiser

Space: 90

Ship Points: 70

As I add components I'll be reducing the Power, Space and Ship Points. It's how I worked out my ship design.

Saturine Pattern Class 5 Drive: Power: 95 Space: 75 Ship Points: 70

Strelov 2 Warp Engine:   P83 S63 SP70

Gellar Field:                      P82 S63 SP70

Triple Void Shield Array:  P73 S60 SP70

*Bridge of Antiquity:         P71 S59 SP68

*Ancient Life Sustainer:   P69 S57 SP66

Voidsman Quarters:         P67 S53 SP66

Deep Void Augur Array:   P60 S53 SP65

*Both the bridge and life sustainer are Archeotech but I feel they are acceptable.

*Mars Pattern Macrocannon Batteries: x4 P44 S33 SP61

*Godsbane Lance Battery:                       x2 P18 S21 SP55

Prow Fortis Pattern Torpedoe Tubes:        P16 S13 SP52

*Lathe Pattern Landing Bay:                    x2 P14 S3   SP48

*These are split equally between Port and Starboard. I'm very much aware that I have exceeded the 3 Port and 3 Starboard limit for the ship, as well as giving it a Prow weapon.

Originally I wanted to include Extended Supply Vaults to allow for 12 months of space travel before supplies started to run short. This would result in S-1 however.

Medicae Deck:  P12 S2 SP47

Manufactorum:  P10 S1 SP45

Brig:                    P9  S0  SP44

Being the great guy that I am, and knowing that I want this ship to be the star of the Rogue Trader games, I'm thinking of just granting the Extended Supply Vaults....

....resulting in: P8 S-4 SP42

Opinions, criticisms or simply "like" if you like it.

#6 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

That ship needs to be way more than 70 SP. Even assuming that you're not going to allow your players to customize anything, double broadside + lance and the ability to launch torpedo bombers while also just having a prow torpedo tube for good measure means the damage output on this thing is insane.

I notice you didn't provide Hull Integrity or Ship Armour. Do you intend for it to have the same as the Avenger as well?

• Tenebrae likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#7 BossTroll

BossTroll

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:45 AM

In my humble opinion: You've created a battleship :-)

Nothing wrong with that per se, but Ship points should be in the 110-120 range (inc the kit you put on), as well as bumping the hullpoints a bit.

9 weapon components is a tad much for anything classed as a cruiser.

To keep it a bit more in line with BFG, I would remove either 2 batteries or the lances.

If you decide to keep it like this, keep in mind that you need to bump up the opposition aswell, nothing duller than a continual cakewalk through space combat.

• Tenebrae and Wincent like this

- Paranoia is a comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter. - Gilbran Quail - Collected Essays -

#8 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

That ship needs to be way more than 70 SP. Even assuming that you're not going to allow your players to customize anything, double broadside + lance and the ability to launch torpedo bombers while also just having a prow torpedo tube for good measure means the damage output on this thing is insane.

I notice you didn't provide Hull Integrity or Ship Armour. Do you intend for it to have the same as the Avenger as well?

Hull Integrity and Ship Armour are the same as the Avenger. Because it is meant to have attack craft as well, I had thought of using the Exorcist Class but I preferred the Avenger.

Though the ship packs a punch, much of it's armaments are close range....for a Grand Cruiser that is. Hecutor Broadsides are almost double the range of the Macrocannons. Might cut out a Broadside (for both sides) and swap to them instead.

I did wonder if I'd gone a bit too far with firepower.

In my humble opinion: You've created a battleship :-)

Nothing wrong with that per se, but Ship points should be in the 110-120 range (inc the kit you put on), as well as bumping the hullpoints a bit.

9 weapon components is a tad much for anything classed as a cruiser.

To keep it a bit more in line with BFG, I would remove either 2 batteries or the lances.

If you decide to keep it like this, keep in mind that you need to bump up the opposition aswell, nothing duller than a continual cakewalk through space combat.

I'm seriously thinking of taking out a Broadside from each side. Replacing the Macrocannons for the Hecutor Broadsides. Sacrifice number of shots for longer range.

This ship is intended to be a beast. Slow as a tortoise on valium, but very dangerous.

Opposition will be equally nasty. Though the worst will come when the ship ventures into a region of space where the warp and real space are one. I'll be creating some sentient storms, mutated void Kraken and at least one daemon ship. Not forgetting a Chaos Space Station and orbital docks.

Hence why I wanted to give the players a sporting chances of not being smashed to oblivion.

But I do agree with you both that I may have gone a little too far when arming the ship. How about removing the torpedoes in favour of keeping the broadsides? Or stick with changing broadsides and keeping torpedoes?

#9 BossTroll

BossTroll

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

I'm seriously thinking of taking out a Broadside from each side. Replacing the Macrocannons for the Hecutor Broadsides. Sacrifice number of shots for longer range.

This ship is intended to be a beast. Slow as a tortoise on valium, but very dangerous.

Opposition will be equally nasty. Though the worst will come when the ship ventures into a region of space where the warp and real space are one. I'll be creating some sentient storms, mutated void Kraken and at least one daemon ship. Not forgetting a Chaos Space Station and orbital docks.

But I do agree with you both that I may have gone a little too far when arming the ship. How about removing the torpedoes in favour of keeping the broadsides? Or stick with changing broadsides and keeping torpedoes?

I'd keep the torps and remove a broadside slot, just to keep the ship more within the regular ships size/format/etc. Plus having a frontal weapon beats an extra side weapon. And torps beat weapon batteries, for the simple reason that your characters will be able to give the order: "Torpedoes, Full Spread!", which is just cool.

And: statsprettyplease for the mutated void kraken :-)

- Paranoia is a comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter. - Gilbran Quail - Collected Essays -

#10 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

I'd keep the torps and remove a broadside slot, just to keep the ship more within the regular ships size/format/etc. Plus having a frontal weapon beats an extra side weapon. And torps beat weapon batteries, for the simple reason that your characters will be able to give the order: "Torpedoes, Full Spread!", which is just cool.

And: statsprettyplease for the mutated void kraken :-)

Patience will be needed as I haven't got Koronus Bestiary yet....but it is on my hobby shopping list. It should make a good pet for a Chaos Lord. As soon as I've got the book, expect to see some silly topic title like Chaos Spawn Kraken or HelKraken.

My favourite trick with torpedoes, usually with a faster ship, is to get within range of the enemy so that on the turn they launch the torpedoes attack. I do a similar thing with bombers. Great to see the look on opponents faces when you unleash a salvo of torpedoes point blank.

Edited by Roy Stone, 30 January 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#11 BossTroll

BossTroll

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Patience will be needed as I haven't got Koronus Bestiary yet....but it is on my hobby shopping list. It should make a good pet for a Chaos Lord. As soon as I've got the book, expect to see some silly topic title like Chaos Spawn Kraken or HelKraken.

My favourite trick with torpedoes, usually with a faster ship, is to get within range of the enemy so that on the turn they launch the torpedoes attack. I do a similar thing with bombers. Great to see the look on opponents faces when you unleash a salvo of torpedoes point blank.

I now have a mental image of a Chaos Lord with a VERY long leash :-)

That trick works even better when combined with silent running, my players did NOT enjoy the three destroyer squadron that 'decloaked' 4 VU from their battlecruiser ;-) (Offcourse their jammy dice than let them obliterate the squadron without even being hit by a torp, but oh well)

• Roy Stone likes this

#12 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

That trick works even better when combined with silent running, my players did NOT enjoy the three destroyer squadron that 'decloaked' 4 VU from their battlecruiser ;-) (Offcourse their jammy dice than let them obliterate the squadron without even being hit by a torp, but oh well)

I am Vlad the Merciless and this is my pet, Mr Tickles. When not roaming around the warp, I keep him on this twenty VU long ten foot thick adamantium leash. He's very affectionate. Caught him hugging an Imperial Cruiser, even though they didn't appreciate it and tried to shoot him.

Mr Tickles was so scared, he was sick. Ah, how I smile when I remember the corrosive vomit melting through the hull. Poor Mr Tickles.

;)

• BossTroll likes this

#13 BossTroll

BossTroll

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:27 AM

I am Vlad the Merciless and this is my pet, Mr Tickles. When not roaming around the warp, I keep him on this twenty VU long ten foot thick adamantium leash. He's very affectionate. Caught him hugging an Imperial Cruiser, even though they didn't appreciate it and tried to shoot him.

Mr Tickles was so scared, he was sick. Ah, how I smile when I remember the corrosive vomit melting through the hull. Poor Mr Tickles.

;)

But Mr Tickles is ok now, isn't he? ;)

• Roy Stone likes this

#14 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

;)

But Mr Tickles is ok now, isn't he? ;)

Nurgle gave him some gripe mixture while Slaanesh cuddled him. Later on Tzeentch gave him a fireworks display to the sound of Chaos Punk Techno. Khorne is now taking Mr Tickles out for a game of fetch....

....those on the cruiser got their just desert....Chaos Kraken Acidic Vomit soup.

Edited by Roy Stone, 31 January 2014 - 01:15 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS