Centurion warsuits for Deathwatch

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Marrok

Marrok

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

My second attempt at conversions, hope you like it, but as before if you can make it better post bellow so everyone can enjoy.

Devastator Centurion Armour

Kilograms: 600
Type: Walker 
Tactical Speed: 14m
Cruising Speed: 20 kph 
Manoeuvrability: —
Structural Integrity: 15 
Size: Enormous
Armour: Front: 20, Side 20, Rear 18
Carry Capacity: None
Crew: One Space Marine
Requisition: 80
Renown: Famed
Special:
Provides the Auto-Stabilised Trait and grants +40 to Strength. A Centurion cannot Run, and the wearer suffers –30 to Agility, and cannot Dodge (but may still Parry). Also roll once on Table 5–12: Power Armour History.
Special Rules
Walker: Walkers are able to ignore penalties for moving through difficult terrain, and negotiate obstacles such as rock slides, tank traps, fallen trees, and shattered buildings without penalty.
Combat Walker: Centurions always have a Basic Melee Attack (representing their ability to charge, batter, and smash targets): (Melee, 1d10+8 I, Pen 2, Unwieldy)
Reinforced Hull: When a vehicle with a Reinforced Hull receives a Critical Hit, halve the results, rounding up. This does not affect rolls on the Critical Hit chart generated by Righteous Fury.
Omni-scope: Attack Modifer: +10 to hit
Special: Combines Preysense Sight- No Darkness Penalties
Weapons
A Centurion may equip its left and right arms with any of the following options. These weapons have a facing of forward, left, and right, and are always pilot-operated. Centurion weapons must be reloaded by support teams, and reloading takes several minutes. The chest may be equiped as well.:
Arm weapons
- Two Heavy Bolters (Range 150m, Heavy, –/–/10, 1d10+12 X, Pen 5, Clip 400, Reload 2 Full, Tearing)
- Two Lascannons (Range 300m, Heavy, S/–/–, 5d10+10 E, Pen 10, Clip 60, Reload 3 Full)
- Two Grav-Cannons (Range 45m; S/-/-; 0d0 S; Pen 0; Clip 50; Reload 4 Full; Blast (5) Rites of Battle page 137 for more on grav-cannon)
Chest weapons
- Hurricane Bolter (Facing Front, 50m, –/6/12, 2d10+5 X, Pen 4, Clip 300, Reload 4 Full, Tearing)
- Missile Launchers (Facing Front, Range 250m, Heavy, S/–/–, 6 missiles may fire any missiles found on page 150 of the DEATHWATCH Rulebook)

Assault Centurion Armour

Kilograms: 600
Type: Walker 
Tactical Speed: 14m
Cruising Speed: 20 kph 
Manoeuvrability: —
Structural Integrity: 15 
Size: Enormous
Armour: Front: 20, Side 20, Rear 18
Carry Capacity: None
Crew: One Space Marine
Requisition: 80
Renown: Famed
Special:
Provides the Auto-Stabilised Trait and grants +40 to Strength. A Centurion cannot Run, and the wearer suffers –30 to Agility, and cannot Dodge (but may still Parry). Also roll once on Table 5–12: Power Armour History.
Special Rules
Walker: Walkers are able to ignore penalties for moving through difficult terrain, and negotiate obstacles such as rock slides, tank traps, fallen trees, and shattered buildings without penalty.
Combat Walker: Centurions always have a Basic Melee Attack (representing their ability to charge, batter, and smash targets): (Melee, 1d10+8 I, Pen 2, Unwieldy)
Reinforced Hull: When a vehicle with a Reinforced Hull receives a Critical Hit, halve the results, rounding up. This does not affect rolls on the Critical Hit chart generated by Righteous Fury.
Weapons
A Centurion may equip its left and right arms with any of the following options. These weapons have a facing of forward, left, and right, and are always pilot-operated. Centurion weapons must be reloaded by support teams, and reloading takes several minutes. The chest may be equiped as well.:
Arm weapons
- Two Flamers (Range 20m ,S/–/– ,1d10+9 E ,Pen 3, Clip 40, Reload 3 Full, Flame)
- Two Meltaguns (Range 30m, Basic, S/–/–,2d10+14 E, Pen 12, Clip 40, Reload 3 Full)
- Two Siege Drills (Melee - Primitive 2d10+11 R; Pen 7; Tearing, Unwieldy, Power Field)
Chest weapons
- Hurricane Bolter (Facing Front, 50m, –/6/12, 2d10+5 X, Pen 4, Clip 300, Reload 4 Full, Tearing)
- Frag Assault Launchers: Assault Centurion Armours are armed with Frag Assault Launchers, single-shot scatter grenades employed to cover the Centurion’s final assault (Facing Front, Range 50m, -/3/-, 2d10+2 X, Pen 0, Clip 6). Frag Launchers may be fired as a Free Action, and fire in a 45 degree cone from the Centurion, hitting everything within range. When they fire, they force automatic Pinning Tests from all eligible targets within range.

But if you ask me you should be able to put mixed weapons on your arms for more tactical diversity.

Edited by Marrok, 28 January 2014 - 01:03 PM.

• Roy Stone likes this

#2 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

I was hoping to see this in a future book but I think you've done a good job there.

After a bit of thinking (few minutes) I won't use mixed weapons of arms. But that is a personal opinion and not a criticism.

Edited by Roy Stone, 27 January 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#3 Marrok

Marrok

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

I was hoping to see this in a future book but I think you've done a good job there.

After a bit of thinking (few minutes) I won't use mixed weapons of arms. But that is a personal opinion and not a criticism.

The only thing left is the renown and what happens when it explodes while your in it.

#4 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Again this is my opinion:

I plan on creating a chapter which lacks Terminator Armour. Centurion squads are their veterans so would require the same renown as a suit of Terminator Armour.

As to the explosion....hmmmm....pilot takes a 2D10 Pen 4 Explosive damage and must pass a Hard Toughness or be stunned for 1D5 rounds. Either way, he will be knocked prone.

Naturally the bang will need a "blast" radius but I'm currently blanking on that. My best guess would be something like a frag missile going boom.

#5 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

I made a thread for brainstorming on this exact topic. You can see it here: http://community.fan...or/#entry916024

The first thing I noticed is the rear armor. If I remember correctly, Centurion armor is a suit that Marines step into and thus only provides extra armor to the front of the marine (not even covering the head). I think it would be more "accurate" if you either dropped the rear armor entirely or lowered it significantly.

The difference here, however, is that you are treating it as a vehicle rather than another suit of armor. So that may make my comment obsolete.

Obviously you prefer pre-errata weapon stats, but that is one thing I would personally change if I were to use this layout.

I would also give them one size larger. Marines are already hulking and this armor is bigger than even the termy-armor. They should definitely be an easier target when wearing these suits; at the very least, keep hulking but remove the Black Carapace bonus so that the to-hit penalty is imposed.

Edited by pearldrum1, 27 January 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#6 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

As to the explosion....hmmmm....pilot takes a 2D10 Pen 4 Explosive damage and must pass a Hard Toughness or be stunned for 1D5 rounds. Either way, he will be knocked prone.

Too weak. Not really a threat. Make it something like 1d10+10 Pen 5, armor does not apply (obviously). TB will still obviate most of that.

• Roy Stone likes this

#7 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

I agree. There needs to be a real threat of getting messed up if the Sh*t hits the fan; this will take some of the "invincibility" factor away from the Marines piloting the suit.

There should always be the threat of death and defeat.

• Roy Stone likes this

#8 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

One comment - no force field. Centurion Warsuits are big on heavy, ablative plate. This is why they don't have an invulnerable save (unlike the more sophisticated and compact terminator armour).

Definitely size (enormous) - it's the same size as a tyranid warrior, and you have next to no agility whilst wearing it.

Also, probably worth figuring out what the omniscope does. I would suggest it counting as an astartes targeter, as that's the most sophisticated 'scope' available.

Finally, you do need to figure out how to model decimator protocols (or whatever it's called). Whether vehicle or armour, the pilot needs to be able to fire both arm weapons and the chest mount simultaneously. If he can 'john woo' the heavy weapons as a full action, I might suggest taking a lead from the servo-harness and allowing him to give up his reaction to fire the chest mount as well.

Edited by Magnus Grendel, 28 January 2014 - 02:08 AM.

• pearldrum1 likes this

#9 Roy Stone

Roy Stone

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:43 AM

Too weak. Not really a threat. Make it something like 1d10+10 Pen 5, armor does not apply (obviously). TB will still obviate most of that.

Phew! I thought I had been too strong. Guess I'm too good to players.

I like your correction better.

I agree. There needs to be a real threat of getting messed up if the Sh*t hits the fan; this will take some of the "invincibility" factor away from the Marines piloting the suit.

There should always be the threat of death and defeat.

That was why I started thinking of adding "blast". Piloting the suit when it goes off should result in a big badda boom.

#10 Avdnm

Avdnm

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:53 AM

For the size discussion, this might help:

6QRVo5Q.jpg

Quite big, but the Centurion armor does not interfer with the black carapace. So I guess increasing size and keeping the black carapace bonus would be correct here. Would be interesting how size and agility malus affect movement rate in the end.

#11 Marrok

Marrok

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:04 AM

For the size discussion, this might help:

6QRVo5Q.jpg

Quite big, but the Centurion armor does not interfer with the black carapace. So I guess increasing size and keeping the black carapace bonus would be correct here. Would be interesting how size and agility malus affect movement rate in the end.

Thanks i had no idea that that was their size. I based Hulking on the size of the bikes and thought thats more or less as much hardware as a warsuit.

Edited by Marrok, 28 January 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#12 Marrok

Marrok

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Also, probably worth figuring out what the omniscope does. I would suggest it counting as an astartes targeter, as that's the most sophisticated 'scope' available.

Already existed, no darkness penalties and +10 to hit

#13 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

Have you thought of using Breaching Augur as the basis for those huge drills Assault Centurions sport?

Might be pointless to make this chart but for people who asked

Size affecting movement (away from books so from memory, correct is wrong):

Size 4 movement = AB

Size 5 movement = AB+1

Size 6 movement = AB+2

etc etc

Also for some reason popped into my mind that there was one question pertaining Terminator Armours -20 to Agility and movement in Black Crusade (differend line but might be applicable to this situation).

Question: Terminator Armour gives the wearer a –20 to Agility 
when worn. It is entirely possible that this might bring a character 
to 0 or less Agility. This, according to page 256, renders the 
character Paralysed and unable to act though. Is this correct?

Answer: The dropping Agility to zero and being Paralysed 
is only from Characteristic Damage, not temporary penalties. 
Although it could drop one’s Speed to zero (although this 
should be partially offset by one being Hulking) it does 
not paralyse them. Remember, Tests can apply all sorts of 
penalties or benefits, and this is just one more penalty to 
apply to any Agility Test. If the Test was normally Easy 
(+30), you’d still be making it at a +10.

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#14 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Breaching augurs are broken if allowed as weapons. They should not be in most ways better than a power weapon purposefully designed for combat instead of utility.

I'd make the radius blast 8 or so, and impossible for the pilot to evade it.

Agree on no force field.

I wonder why you're using vehicle rules for this though? To let it get wrecked?

#15 Marrok

Marrok

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Breaching augurs are broken if allowed as weapons. They should not be in most ways better than a power weapon purposefully designed for combat instead of utility.

I'd make the radius blast 8 or so, and impossible for the pilot to evade it.

Agree on no force field.

I wonder why you're using vehicle rules for this though? To let it get wrecked?

I think it could work (the erata version)

Breaching Augur Two-Handed Melee - Primitive 2d10+11 R; Pen 7; Two handed;TearingUnwieldyPower Field

The other options kinda suck.

Heavy Mining Drill One-Handed Melee - Primitive 5d10 R; Pen 15; TearingUnwieldy          

Steam Drill Two-Handed Melee - Primitive 1d10 I; Pen 3; Two handed;Primitive ()UnbalancedUnwieldy

And i used it as a vehicle cuz:

1. He is not walking, the warsuit is

2. its HUGE

3. Its practically Nemesis Dreadknight Junior

Edited by Marrok, 28 January 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#16 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Didn't Remember Breaching Augurs pre-Errata was that broken.

Emperor help us. 4d10+3 Pen 7 Tearing, Unwieldy, Power Field.

Have used so long post-Errata stats, that monster had faded from my memory

Centurion%2Band%2BDreadknight.jpg

Edited by Routa-maa, 28 January 2014 - 12:45 PM.

• pearldrum1 and Roy Stone like this

#17 Marrok

Marrok

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Centurion%2Band%2BDreadknight.jpg

Case in point (How long have you been lurking on here for someone to finally give you an excuse to use this pic? :) lol )

• pearldrum1 likes this

#18 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Not long ^_^ , remembered that had seen that in the Interwebs so I had to use it.

#19 pearldrum1

pearldrum1

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

IT HAD TO BE USED.

Again, I would not use it as a vehicle (personal opinion, sorry if I sound redundant).

I would give it some sick frontal armor for body, arms and legs, but leave the back and head lacking. Maybe even drop some levels of ablative armor on it as well instead of the force field. This thing is already going to be a beast. I think the force field will kill a lot of the fun-factor because it kills the risk factor. As I stated before like a stupid broken record.

I am still thinking of allowing these in my games but only as a very special mission-specific item; I don't think I will allow them to requisition it freely whenever they like. It might be better suited under the Imperial Assets rules in RoB: Astartes Assets.

Edited by pearldrum1, 28 January 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#20 Marrok

Marrok

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:24 AM

IT HAD TO BE USED.

Again, I would not use it as a vehicle (personal opinion, sorry if I sound redundant).

I would give it some sick frontal armor for body, arms and legs, but leave the back and head lacking. Maybe even drop some levels of ablative armor on it as well instead of the force field. This thing is already going to be a beast. I think the force field will kill a lot of the fun-factor because it kills the risk factor. As I stated before like a stupid broken record.

I am still thinking of allowing these in my games but only as a very special mission-specific item; I don't think I will allow them to requisition it freely whenever they like. It might be better suited under the Imperial Assets rules in RoB: Astartes Assets.

Of course its only meant for you to use when your either defending or attacking a location.

And i gave my reasons for it not being a vehicle, i mean come on its a suit for your suit.

Besides you ask me armour cannot walk for you, if you ask me, and the warsuit has mechanized legs for movement so you dont get tired, meaning its a vehicle.

Centurion6.jpg

If it was armour, it would only have head armour the same at best, i meant look at that BACK.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS