The best support NPC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Quoth

Quoth

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

My party has dropped from a 4 man to a 3 man with one player having a lot of university commitments, so Im wanting to bring in an NPC to give them some support.

ATM, we have an Arbitrator who focuses on ranged combat with a Combi Autogun/Flamer with a AUX attachment.
A Lathmaster Scum with enough armour to go toe to toe with a Bloodletter (damn armour crafting...)
And a Sniper guardsman (Controled by the player who cant attend all games)

So what would the party benifit most from?
They are combating a lot of Heritics with some Daemons in a Hive atm and I plan on including a lot more Daemons in the near future.
I want someone who wont steal the lime light, but will help the party to live one session to the next (as much as you can hope for in DH)
Iv said nothing is banned and their part way through rank 4 atm

#2 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

My party has dropped from a 4 man to a 3 man with one player having a lot of university commitments, so Im wanting to bring in an NPC to give them some support.

ATM, we have an Arbitrator who focuses on ranged combat with a Combi Autogun/Flamer with a AUX attachment.
A Lathmaster Scum with enough armour to go toe to toe with a Bloodletter (damn armour crafting...)
And a Sniper guardsman (Controled by the player who cant attend all games)

So what would the party benifit most from?
They are combating a lot of Heritics with some Daemons in a Hive atm and I plan on including a lot more Daemons in the near future.
I want someone who wont steal the lime light, but will help the party to live one session to the next (as much as you can hope for in DH)
Iv said nothing is banned and their part way through rank 4 atm

Possible a Confesser or a Redemptionist.  Either should be able in a pinch to raise Local help, and well keep the team away from Heretics  

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#3 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

I'd pick someone with Medicae. Tech-Priest or Adept. However that runs the risk of stealing limelight by being the most-skilled (and default) person in the party for Lores and Tech-Use.

#4 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

I could have sworn Bloodletters had Warp Weapon?

#5 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'd say either a medic (the 'classic' support position) or a scholar with lots of Lores to draw upon, to 'unlock' key plot points. Or, heck, a Scholarly Medic. Or Scholar with Medicae...

• Green Knight likes this

#6 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

The big problem that I see with NPC Lore-monkey is that it can and does steal the limelight from PCs in a particularly valuable area in this setting. Feels too much like a gimme if none of the characters invest in lore, and having an "ignorant" party isn't going to ruin the game for them, just will prevent them from making as much sense of it - which is a big 40k theme of the scarcity of knowledge. Without that NPC resource, PCs may get more creative about dealing with things they can't understand.

• Green Knight likes this

#7 Quoth

Quoth

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

Cool guys thanks =D

Iv desided to go with a Divination Psyker with some lore skills key to the game. 
That way, they get the lore/info they need as well as some healing.

That should cover the points you guys raised.

Set her up so she has the skills to give the answers but not the skills to find the questions, so its still up to the party to blunder their way through the campain without me leading them too heavy handed 

• Kshatriya likes this

#8 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:43 AM

As a GM for a party without a Psyker: Make sure he has the Minor Healing Power to get them back into fighting condition AFTER their encounters. Otherwise the downtime in the hospitals will slow things down too much.

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#9 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

And don't take any Telekinesis.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS