First Tourney Report

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Today I played in my first tourney and because of all the help I received here tweaking my list, I want to share how things went.

I apologize for the both the overall length and the lack of specific details since this encompasses four games, and wish I could get the photos to work, but am having some trouble., but I just didn't remember.

First, though, I'll post a snippet I wrote elsewhere about the venue, Universe Games, in Minneapolis:

Best of all, it was the friendliest group of people that I'd never met, if that makes sense.   I've played with in the dozens of tournaments I've attended for other miniatures games.  I've never seen so many losing players enjoying themselves, and it was also the most diverse group I've seen even in such a small tournament, except of course for one thing.  We were all Star Wars geeks.

Now for the games:

I brought: Wedge w/Swarm+R5, Biggs, Green w/ PTL, and a Rookie

In all, there were 16 players and 13 rebels.   I played against all rebels  It made me wish I would have worked more with my Imperial list and brought that, but I had fun nonetheless, though it was a downside.  (Side note: If I were a TO, I might suggest having people who are willing to play either side bring two lists just in case).

Game 1:  I faced a new player who had Jan Ors, a named B-wing, and (obv) Evil Wedge.   

In set up we were slightly kitty corner.

I kept my X-wings in a tight formation and let the A-Wing zip around and get behind his formation.  As it would be for much of the day, it was ignored.    He flew a loose formation with Wedge in front, the B-Wing flanking Ors behind.

We both turned in and met in an asteroid lane and despite the fact that I had more concentrated shots on Evil Wedge than he did on any of my ships, I couldn't bring him down, so he was left with one.

I realized that without K-turning I could line up decent shots on Jan so I flew ahead, but some bad piloting and forgetting that my rookie would go early in the turn caused a major cluster in the middle and the shots were not as effective as they could have been and it took me another couple of turns to get Ors down due to some bad rolls on my part.  Losing Wedge and Biggs in the process as I ignored the Bwing and couldn't get Evil Wedge to die quickly enough.   He did a very nice job of tossing extra attacks and using his supporting to make up for having one less ship.

In the end, with time running out, I made a boneheaded mistake. I boosted with my A-wing and a corner went off the edge.  I wasn't sure if I should have been able to complete the move, but we were having fun and the rules didn't seem to support saving my A-wing so I took it off.    This freed up the Bwing to have enough of an advantage on my rookie and so that was that.

Game 2:   Another new player Vs 2 Rookies, Garven, Dutch.

It was a set up and opening pass to the last game, but I put Biggs on an asteroid when we were taking long range shots, so I had a bit less firepower than I'd have liked.  

Also while my A-wing got around back, he had his PS 6 pilots there so I couldn't move quite as far as I'd have liked and stay close behind the formation.  I think this cost me as we both moved in close range and again I couldn't take out the rookie I focused on who was in close range of Wedge and my rookie, and Bigg's range two shots.

When the dust cleared from the salvo, I was down two ships   

At one point, though, Dutch realized my A-Wing was there and basically started tagging him with the ion cannon, hitting him once and then keeping him close the rest of the game until destroyed, though it was all decided at that point.

Game 3  vs. Han Solo w/gunner and card that allows barrell roll and 2 B-Wings

I set up much better this game.  His B-Wings were on my right and the Falcon was set up straight down the one lane opposite my X-wings.   A-Wing was far right and looked out of it.

The Awing zoomed ahead trying to get behind again but the falcon moved slowly enough that he got in it's way.  Somewhat accidentally, but it ended up working out as Han couldn't complete the move he wanted or adjust it.

The Xwings headed straight for Han but an dial mess up (I changed two of the X-wings but not the third after), left Biggs way behind.  This mistake turned out for the better, though.

His B-Wings turned in toward the lane the Falcon and the Xwings were in. The Falcon and the Bwings had to split fire because of angles at the Rookie and Wedge knocking off some shields.  I focused everything on Han, dropping some shields with lucky rolls.  

The next turn I got Biggs back in there and my Xwings wiped out all of Hans shields and put a couple of points of damage on the hull.  Meanwhile he had to fire at Biggs and that switching of targets plus continued bad luck kept all my fighters in action.

Again, it was a cluster in the lane as ships were crashing into each other but I kept up with any move that would continue focusing on the falcon and brought it down.  While he complimented my flying, it was in no small part thanks to some good dice by me and bad by him.   Had Han w/gunner been shooting anywhere near average I would have been down a ship, even with the spreading of fire.

The falcon went down and it was pretty much a mop of of the B-Wings.

Game 4  Chewie, gunner (also barrel roll) and 2 B-Wings with targeting systems.

My Xwings on the right and Bwings on the left.  Chewie started out on the far left with the B-wings more central. 

The enemy rebels looked like they were headed to clean out the A-Wing, but I moved the X-Wings up slowly towards a good turn in point while feinting with the A-Wing before sending it over to join the X-Wings,  There were a lot of shots at the A-Wing but most were range three and through asteroids.

I went with the opposite strategy this game, mostly due to placement and as my squad turned in it was able to focus on the B-wings and I got one down early.  It still wasn't easy as Chewie stayed in range roving the edges of the fight, using the turret effectively and slowly

Again, I had significant luck against the Falcon, either I was making evades or rerolls on gunner just weren't effective.   By the time I had taken down the second B-Wing, Wedge was badly hurt (down to 1 HP) but the rookie was in good shape.  Chewie still had full hull points though I had knocked his shields out.

As time was running out, the rookie tried to chase Chewie as best he could while Wedge stayed out of it as much as possible.  *No more ships were taken out and I ended up with a modified win.

Overall, I learned a ton and it was a great time.  It was easily one of the most laid back groups of miniature gamers I've seen at a tourney.   Looking forward to more when I get the chance.

Edited by AlexW, 27 January 2014 - 01:32 AM.

• The_Brown_Bomber, LukesFather and Lappenlocker like this

#2 Derbes

Derbes

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Alex, 

You were at Universe Games, correct?  I was at that tournament also.  It was a lot of fun. We didn't get to play, you wrote a nice right up. 

Dion Erbes

New Market, MN

#3 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Alex,

You were at Universe Games, correct? I was at that tournament also. It was a lot of fun. We didn't get to play, you wrote a nice right up.

I was, and thanks! What were you running and how'd it go?

Edited by AlexW, 26 January 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#4 Derbes

Derbes

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I was running Han Shot First (with Rookies, not B-Wings).  I ended up 2/2 for the day. My 7th grader was one of the 3 dark side builds.   

Dion Erbes

New Market, MN

#5 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

So did the last (fourth) game run out of time?  What result did you get for it then?  You went 1-2 for the first three right?

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#6 LukesFather

LukesFather

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

Fellow first tournament player and was also at universe. Had a good time, even with losing. But I got a win, so all was not lost. Was flying 4 reds. I was the one with the wookie shirt on. Should have really been flying the wookie, but didnt know it was a byof event. (Bring your own falcon) lots of yt1300 flying in that universe.

Rebels -  3 A wing - 5 B wing - 2 E wing - 2 HWK - - 5 Xwing - 2 YT-1300 - 2 Y wing - 3 Z95
Imperials - 6 Tie/F - 1 Adv/T - 2 Firespray - 3 Tie/I - 1 Aces - 2 Lambda - 3 TIE/B - 2 Tie/P - 2 Tie/D

EPIC - GR-75

Custom - 1 YV-545 (yt1300 conversion)

#7 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

So did the last (fourth) game run out of time?  What result did you get for it then?  You went 1-2 for the first three right?

Ahh, can't believe I forgot that (now edited).  I did get a modified win in the last game so 2-2 with one modified. 

#8 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

I was running Han Shot First (with Rookies, not B-Wings).  I ended up 2/2 for the day. My 7th grader was one of the 3 dark side builds.   

Ahh yes.  I remember overhearing he was having fun and we talked about how the Xwing scene is more laid back than other miniatures games.

#9 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

Fellow first tournament player and was also at universe. Had a good time, even with losing. But I got a win, so all was not lost. Was flying 4 reds. I was the one with the wookie shirt on. Should have really been flying the wookie, but didnt know it was a byof event. (Bring your own falcon) lots of yt1300 flying in that universe.

Ha. That's for sure!  Yeah, a lot of rebels and a lot of falcons.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS