1st local store tourney

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

My local store is having it's first SW:TCG tourney today. It starts in a couple of hours. Can't wait to see the different decks. Should be a good day.

I'm taking a Sith deck and a Sleuth Speeder deck. I know there will be at least 1x Bounty Hunter and another Sleuth Speeder deck, and a Navy and Jedi deck at the tourney as well. Not sure what else will be there.

First time tourney for everyone, no 'professional players', just a group of locals (6+ players) out for a fun day. Can't wait.

I'll do my best to get deck lists if possible, and post results and lists afterwards. If anyone's interested in hearing about a n00b tourney.

Cheers

Edited by DarkFather, 24 January 2014 - 04:03 PM.

• divinityofnumber and KennedyHawk like this

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 3x Firespray, 3x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 3x YT-1300, 1x GR-75, 1x CR-90.

#2 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#3 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

Hi guys/gals;

Well I'm back from the tourney. It wasn't as big a turnout as we had hoped, but we still had 5 players turn up and play. Not only that, but there was a nice amount of interest shown by other gamers, one in particular. Which can only be a good thing.

The five players were (unknown to you all, I'm sure)...

Kim

Declan

Michael

Josh

Phill (me)

The decks played were...

Kim -

LS - Jedi                                                     DS - Imperial Navy

1 - A Heroes Journey                                  27 - Kuat Reinforcements

2 - In You Must Go                                      28 - The Ultimate Power

45 - Preparation For Battle x2                     29 - Death and Despayre

48 - Self Preservation x2                             30 - Defense Protocol

55 - Frozen Refuge                                     35 - Corporate Exploitation

64 - A Heroes Resolve x2                            36 - Reconnaissance Mission

46 - Deploy the Fleet x2

68 - Endless Reserves

88 - Imperial Blockade

Declan

LS - Rebel Alliance                                      DS - Scum and Villainy

8 - The Defence of Yavin 4 x2                     33 - The Bespin Exchange x2

38 - Hoth Operations x2                               47 - Jabbas Orders x2

49 - Prepare for Evacuation x2                    80 - Hive of Scum and Villainy

70 - Raise the Stakes                                  81 - Jabbas Reach x2

72 - Asteroid Sanctuary                               84 - Carbonite Transport x2

74 - Across the Anoat Sector x2                  85 - Trandoshan Terror

Michael

LS - Rebel Alliance                                      DS - Sith

8 - The Defense of Yavin 4 x2                     21 - Black Squadron Assault x2

10 - Fleeing the Empire x2                          26 - Imperial Command x2

12 - Draw Their Fire                                    27 - Kuat Reinforcements x2

13 - Mobilize the Squadrons x2                   30 - Defense Protocol x2

38 - Hoth Operations x2                              36 - reconnaissance Mission

92 - Blue Squadron Support                       95 - Repair and Refurbish

Josh

LS - Jedi                                                      DS - Imperial Navy

38 - Hoth Operations x2                              26 - Imperial Command

39 - Echo Base Defense                             27 - Kuat Reinforcements

43 - Sensors are Placed x2                         29 - Death and Despayre

59 - Attack Pattern Delta x2                        31 - The Endor Gambit

64 - A Hero's Resolve x2                            36 - Reconnaissance Mission

65 - Evacuation Procedure x2                     41 - Lord Vader's Command x2

46 - Deploy the Fleet

51 - A Dark Time For The Rebellion x2

Phill (me)

LS - Smugglers and Spies                          DS - Sith

8 - The Defense of Yavin 4 x2                    19 - Fall of The Jedi x2

38 - Hoth Operations x2                              20 - Counsel of the Sith x2

49 - Prepare for Evacuation                        23 - The Emperors Web x2

59 - Attack Pattern Delta x2                         62 - Vader's Fist x2

70 - Raise the Stakes                                  66 - The Executor Arrives x2

74 - Across the Anoat Sector x2

With only the 5 players we simply played 5 rounds (1 round being a bye). So each player played each other player once. 4 points per 'game' won. 8 Points if you win both games in a 'match'. If a tie happened, revert back to dial count, then back to Objectives destroyed, for a 5:4 victory, if still tied overall then 4 points to each player. The ending scores were...

Declan - 0 points. (Youngest player, not too sure of himself, definitely still learning the mechanics, but he did have some really 'shining' moments, and received nothing but glowing reports from all players. And... He had a great time, and took his overall loss extremely well. Great sportsmanship).

Josh - 12 points. (Quite literally 'got into' the game barely days beforehand. Extremely good player, very very tactical and strategic. With more games, and more cards under his belt, he's going to be quite scary).

Kim - 21 points. (Kim plays... well... EVERYTHING. Every game of anything against him always requires you to wear your thinking cap, and have it on tight.)

Michael - 21 points. (He's my SW:TCG 'wingman'. We are always bouncing ideas of each other, and sitting at my kitchen table throwing random decks together and going at it. He actually built and decimated me, multiple times, with a Speeder Deck, months before they became mainstream in meta's and on forums).

Phill (me) - 28 points. (Won the first 3 matches unscathed. Michael defeated my Sleuth Speeders in the last game of the last match, giving him the 5:4 victory over me. I knew he was going to be my main worry).

** text in brackets are my personal views/thoughts btw **

Anyways, I believe all the players had a great time. There were lots of interesting mechanics being thrown around today. Enough that I for one am going back to the drawing board and am going to be looking a lot closer at cards and Objective sets I would of otherwise just have glanced over previously.

Oh, and I won 2x alt. Art Vader's Tie cards and the 'Hoth' playmat for 1st place. I'm quite chuffed actually. It was awesome to back up my win in the X-wing Tourney from last weekend with a win in the TCG.

Cheers

Edited by DarkFather, 25 January 2014 - 03:00 AM.

• FliptheForce likes this

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 3x Firespray, 3x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 3x YT-1300, 1x GR-75, 1x CR-90.

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Congrats!  I hope you can keep the meta going and have many more awesome events!

#5 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thanks.

Here's hoping. This is a game I have really gotten 'into'. So I'm hoping to work in conjunction with the LGS owner, and organise more events.

Right now, everyone is in post tourney mode, and all we are talking about atm is breaking down 'tourney decks' and going back to fun play, where we try out different combo's and re-visit some of those cards/Obj's we had otherwise overlooked.

Last night for instance, I tore down my decks and have now built a Rebel Smuggler deck. Han x2, Lando x2, Chewie x2, Leia x2, Bail Organa x2... Organic Misdirection, I've called it. So that will be my first deck I will be trying out. Probably tomorrow. 

Cheers

#6 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Last night for instance, I tore down my decks and have now built a Rebel Smuggler deck. Han x2, Lando x2, Chewie x2, Leia x2, Bail Organa x2... Organic Misdirection, I've called it. So that will be my first deck I will be trying out. Probably tomorrow.  

You can only have one of Bail Organa's set in your deck - it's limit 1. =P

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Also could give you resource match issues as you have to run the Smugglers affiliation with Lando and it won't be uncommon to have no Rebel resources available.

#8 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

DOH!!... I looked right over those two conditions... grrr... That's what happens when one makes a deck when half asleep. LOL.

buh bye Organa's... Time to look over other Smuggler options.

Cheers

[EDIT]

Not what I wanted to do really... but It's either Remove Lando x2 and Bail x1 and replace them with ????? x2 and ??? x1, or remove the 4x Rebel Obj's altogether and replace them with Falcon x2 and Lobot x2... decisions decisions.

[/EDIT]

Edited by DarkFather, 25 January 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#9 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

I'm glad you guys had fun at the event!

We run semi-weekly events, and I agree it is very important to break down decks and try things.  It's even important to bring those decks to events.

#10 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Semi-weekly... Oh how I dream of such a thing. I would be happy with 2 days a month set aside for SW (TCG &/or X-Wing). As it is atm, I just have to be happy with what I can get.

I know OCTGN exists, and have tried to use it. I'm ok with the basics, but I get easily lost with the more indepth mechanics of the game and how they interact with the OCTGN software. Getting folks willing to take the time to teach, or even have patience with, us n00bs, is near impossible though.

I currently get my fix by watching Streams. JMCB mainly, and 1 or 2 others if I'm lucky enough to catch them. Covenant YouTube vids also serve to keep me going. But I starve for more 'across the table' action.

One of those sad things, living in a small town, and living in a country at the bottom of the world. All that, and timezones, I guess.

Cheers

Edited by DarkFather, 27 January 2014 - 12:47 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS