Photo

Dance of the Damned or Ghouls of the Miskatonic?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

I ordered both of these (admittedly, for the cards, but I did actually want something new to read), and they just arrived. 

Which of the two should I read first?  I have heard that Dance of the Damned is better.  What are your opinions?

• Krysmopompas likes this

#2 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

Dance of the Damned is the one I am on right now. Has a much more 'Pulp' feel to it. But, if you've ever wondered what Daisy wears to bed, well...

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:03 AM

Of DotD, GotM, BotY, and (so far) LoS, I think Dance is the best.

Actually, I didn't really like Ghouls as it struck me as being rather cheesy. The author uses some questionable prose like using the same descriptive word twice in the same paragraph, and sometimes in the same sentence. The roles of the characters, Rita in particular, are kind of un-believable. The sequel Bones is better but still suffers from the same kind of problems. Two rather major characters from Ghouls that I'd come to appreciate don't appear in Bones at all, for whatever reason. I guess I can understand one of them, but... ah whatever.

Dance was quite good. I was worried about the sequel Lies because it was not by the same author, but it's turning out to be good. Except that it doesn't (yet) seem to have any connection to the first book.

As a matter of fact, I ordered The Feeders Within, The Sign of Glaaki, Dweller in the Deep and The Hungering God yesterday in a panic because they appear to be out of print and unavailable anywhere except the FFG warehouse. The FFG rep didn't really indicate to me whether they would be re-stocked anywhere or if I should just get them now before they're gone. That $12 shipping fee is a pain btw.

Anyway, that's enough from me. It'll literally be years before I get around to finishing these, but currently they're my books of choice if I have to kill time.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Good to know, thanks. I'll avoid the others, then :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'm partway through Ghouls and now that I know I won't be buying the 3rd book (no promo card offer!), I think I'll stop and move on to something else....

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

I got the books on Kindle, so no promo cards anyway.

#7 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

I think I am going to start with Dance of the Damned.  If I enjoy it that will help to inspire me to read the other one.  I haven't read any fiction books in a while, so I am looking forward to this.

#8 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

I really enjoyed Ghouls of the Miskatonic! Yeah, it was cheesy and stuff, but if you go into it just expecting a jolly jape, I thought it was pretty decent! Just started on Bones of the Yopasi yesterday, and that's been as good so far anyway. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

Good to know, thanks. I'll avoid the others, then :)

Well wait! Lies of Solace is the second book in that trilogy. And I think it's in second place of the four. So... why not read that eventually?

I hope The Hungering God doesn't drop the ball.

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Ehm... I hated Dance... no interest in getting bored or irritated even further... the only thing that that book left me is the sensation of having wasted my time... with all the possible respect, I read different (and much heavier) stuff. Sorry folks

• The Professor and Krysmopompas like this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Oh, I misunderstood. Well then... might as well have a glance at Lies! It is a bit different.

After all, if I said Dance is amazing and you didn't like it, perhaps our tastes are unpredictably divergent.

I still think Ghouls is way too cheesy. Like, you'd have to like AH to like it. That's not good.

Edited by Tibs, 01 February 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Oh, I misunderstood. Well then... might as well have a glance at Lies! It is a bit different.

After all, if I said Dance is amazing and you didn't like it, perhaps our tastes are unpredictably divergent.

:laughter: or more likely, I'll hate the second one even more :D I think I read the first chapter of Lies when it was posted on-line, and commented it looked like a bad rewording of The Supernatural Horror in Literature... really, not my cup of tea, sorry

#13 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

I just finished Dance of the Damned.  It was not bad.  It was a little slow at first, but it picked up pretty nicely at the end.  I enjoyed how it sort of played out like the game with the whole collecting clues and whatnot(I do not want to spoil anything).  I will probably pick up the second book in the series at some point.

#14 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

I missed "Ghouls" and started with "Bones of the Yopasi" (to get the Elder Sign card) It's not bad, but not great either. It's good enough that I want the 3rd one to find out how it ends.

The characterizations are very good, it just seems like the author missed some great opportunities- maybe cause it's a sequel. Too much time was spent re-capping book one. Trying not to do a full review, but it should have started with the title scene in which the "Bones of the Yopasi" actually appear and focused more on that mystery.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS