I have seen many posts regarding a new expansión for Runewars. They are mostly great wish lists with some very good ideas. I want to start a discussion to contribute in making an expansión easier for FFG. I play Runewars with the Banner of war expansión, so please whenever I write Runewars consider both.
1) A common issue I see is a claim of adding new races. Dwarves (good alignment) and Orcs (Evil Alignment). In the manual of runewars we can clearly see that these should be the selected races. There is an issue here when talking about gameplay. It would be necessary to print new faction sheets, why? because one of the objectives of the faction sheets is to define the winner in case there is a tie in runes and influence. The faction with the most printed influence would be the winner. There cannot be two factions with the same printed influence. The solution is easy, have the elves start with only 5 influence (or 6 influence and 1 tactic card), then have the humans or dwarves with 4 influence an1 tactic card (or 5 influence and 2 tactic cards) etc. So adding two new races is totally posible in gameplay terms. Remember to include 2 extra units for dwarves and orcs for compatibility with banner of wars (or as someone suggested in a post make a booster pack).
2) The second issue is the number of players (different from number of factions). I have seen some discussion here. Some people claim that you should be able to play 6 players and other state that Runewars is perfect for 4 players. I agree with this second statement. Runewars is an amazing game that is perfectly balanced for a 4 players game.There are season cards, with bets for winning runes. With six players in the table the runes would be divided among more players making the game slower. Also with bigger maps, héroes might be incapacitated from accomplishing their missions if they are on the other side of the world. This would further make more difficult to obtain runes and rewards (the would also Split among more players) since héroes are one of the effective ways to obtain runes. I have played runewars of 6 players (combining two runewars games and its really slow). Summarizing, keep 4 players.
Jus adding 2 new races in this way could be more tan enough for me to buy the expansión, now I will go in detail into some nice extras that could help the game to be less predictable and more fun to play.
3) New héroes, Runewars and banner of wars have many héroes. You also have dungeonquest héroes available and the promotional 4. It would be nice to add some new héroes to the expansión since this helps making the game more unpredictable.
4) New map titles with quest cards: For veteran players that play a lot, It would be a nice addition to include some new map titles. There is a spare dragon in the box (In Runewars you can never start a game with 4 dragons in the map, there is 1 in 4a, 1 in 5c and 1 in 8c) so you could use this dragon. There are also 2 spare hell hounds (1 in 2c, 1 in 6b, 2 in 8a and 2 in 11b) so you could have two hexagons with 1 hellhounds or 1 hexagon with 2. There is also 1 spare sorcerer that would not be a challenge but could anyway be in a hexagon (2 in 3a, 3 in 4b and 2 in 8b). There are 2 spare razor wings (there are 2 in 1a, 2 in 5b and 2 in 9a) so you could easily add an hexagon with 2 razorwings. We already have 4 giants and more beastmans tan those that come in the box. Summarizing, since we have enough spare neutrals (1 Dragon, 2 hellhounds, 2 razor wings and 1 sorcerer) We could easily add from 2 to 4 map titles with their respective quest cards. This would help making the game more unpredictable.
5 New neutrals: This is not necessary, since we have just discussed that the game contains enough neutral units for adding map titles, but it would be nice to add som neutrals from the FFG world (like nagas, bane spiders, deep elfs, shades, ferrox, trolls, goles or demons). Including 4 hexagon demons with 5 new map titles using the other neutrals should do it, also including just a single new neutral unit would be great. Summarizing, it is not necessary but would be fun.
6 New lost city token: For players that enjoy using the rise of the free cities variant like myself, the lost city has a problem. Other tan the extra food it provides is a normal city, its not powerfull enough to make players battle among it for its domain. I would change this allowing it to recruit a neutral hexagon (or maybe 2) moving the rune to the quest cards space and allowing it to give 4 tactic cards or 4 influence making it an amazing city to discover and fight for.
7) New order card: Number 9. It would require to re print card 8 to hacve as suppremacy bonus to switch tokkens and repair damaged strongholds. What would card 9 do? Discard 1 of your dragon runes (not exploration or the ones present in cities) to obtain power. You could get tactic cards as provided by your resources, influence as provided by you resources (or both combined) or a recruit from 1, 2 or 3 of your resources. Sincé runes are a powerful artifact that cannot be used but to win, it would be cool to be able to use them a s a way to obtain power. Some nice combos could be made /like conquering a far away territory with a real rune only to later discard it and obtain power. It would also be cool to have a player play a victory card only to see afterwars everyone else burning their runes to make it more diifficult for him to win. I think it could work and would be fun but need to be tested.
8) More exploration tokens: not many and not new, just adding 2 new teleporters would be really fun, making the game more interesting. Making it not so easy to just wait in a corner and win while the other players fight for nothing.
9) I see no need of: New tactic cards, reward cards, general cards, season cards, titles, fate cards, objective cards, they work fine.
So sumarizing this huge post, just adding to new races would be a great addition to the game. This would require new faction sheets. Keep it 4 players (you could make later an expansión pack for 6 players with different season cards, that for example make the 2 highest bidding players to obtain a dragon rune and also start with 3 quest cards instead of 2). Just the races would be enough, but also making new héroes, map titles, neutral units, los city token for rise of the free cities variant, order card 9, 2 new teleports would add a lot of flavor to this brilliant game that as you can probably tell by now is my favorite.
You are all invited to discuss any of these points or make new ones. What i inted is really to help the producers of this great game to make this new expansión posible.
Edited by The Death, 23 January 2014 - 08:01 PM.