" Fel's Wrath" Worth it or not?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 rebelscum84

rebelscum84

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Okay first of all, I have used him in conjuction with Soontir Fel. More to play around than anything. PS5 and costs 23 points. His ability is iffy at best I admit but sometimes it has come in handy. Question is, is he really worth taking for the points? To me it seems situational. Staying alive after being destroyed until the end of the combat phase doesn't really help unless in that very rare situation you can destroy a ship with you. I used him after reading he was Soontir's wingman for a time. He usually stayed back while Soontir did his thing. So has anyone used him and had any luck or is he just another pilot we all just set aside forever?
Imperial: T.I.E. Interceptor (2) T.I.E. Fighter (4) Lambda Class Shuttle (1) Firespray-31 (1)

Rebel: X-Wing (2) Y-Wing (2) YT-1300 (1) B-Wing (2) A-Wing (2) HWK-290 (1)

#2 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

I dare say that he is a pilot that I won't use often.  His ability is only of benefit when he actually dies in a battle, so you're essentially paying points for an ability that you can't use if he survives, or may not be able to use when the situation occurs as you may not have any targets.  Also the only time it will come into play is when he is killed by a high PS pilot which further reduces the chances of being able to use it.  Essentially you're paying 2 points for PS5 over PS4.

Edit: On further consideration he may see use a bit more after all.  A TIE/IN works best when you get to see where your enemy has moved so that you can barrel roll or boost into and out of fire arcs.  Since he is above PS4 which is what most ships will have or lower, you can position him better to avoid fire.  So yes he is useful and that probably is worth it on a TIE/IN but probably wouldn't be worth it for other ships.

Edited by Eltnot, 23 January 2014 - 07:19 PM.

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#3 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

he's the Arvel Crynyd of the Empire.

• Johdo, PS10 and rebelscum84 like this

It's read as "Merlin"... and yes, like Ivlagic...

#4 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

nope. for 25pts you can get a lot more for ur money.

• omicron group pilot + vader crew with a point to spare anyone?
  • two academy pilots?
  • sabre squadron pilot with PTL or stealth device with a point to spare?
  • howlrunner + stealth device + PTL with 1pt left over?
  • sign me up. lots more examples.

id actually rather go with an alpha squadron pilot or backstabber and spend the saved points on upgrades.

in summary. nope.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 23 January 2014 - 11:10 PM.

• rebelscum84 likes this

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#5 rebelscum84

rebelscum84

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

• two academy pilots?

sign me up. lots more examples.
in summary. nope.

I agree with you. There are a lot of other ships that you can use that are way better for the points and have room for upgrades. So Fel's Wrath will sit in the " only play for fun" pile next to all the TIE Advanced pilots and Arvel Crynyd. Not really a loss tbh.
Imperial: T.I.E. Interceptor (2) T.I.E. Fighter (4) Lambda Class Shuttle (1) Firespray-31 (1)

Rebel: X-Wing (2) Y-Wing (2) YT-1300 (1) B-Wing (2) A-Wing (2) HWK-290 (1)

#6 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

• two academy pilots?

sign me up. lots more examples.
in summary. nope.

I agree with you. There are a lot of other ships that you can use that are way better for the points and have room for upgrades. So Fel's Wrath will sit in the " only play for fun" pile next to all the TIE Advanced pilots and Arvel Crynyd. Not really a loss tbh.

yeah for sure. the thing that hurts more than Fel's lackluster ability are the tie-advanced pilots (Vader is the obvious exception - but even he is saddled with a 'too defensive ship' imho. it seems FF priced all the tie-advanced ships out of the market, similar to Fel's Wrath those 21, 23, and 27pts you MIGHT spend on a tie advanced... there are WAY BETTER choices out there for those points.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 23 January 2014 - 08:05 PM.

• rebelscum84 likes this

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#7 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

If you we're running a mostly interceptor list he's the one you fly most directly at the enemy ace. Make sure the pilot with the higher PS is shooting at him and you get an extra round of firing.
  • rebelscum84 likes this

#8 BattlePriest

BattlePriest

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

No, Fel's Wrath is not worth it, unless you want to play a 'themed' game, which is fun all by itself.

I find 'Fel's Wrath' lacking, Saber Pilots have more versatility due to the Sabers having an elite talent, "Fel's Wrath" does not :(

However, if it is for someone like me, whom the "dice gods" hate, the ghost of "Fel's Wrath" having the opportunity for a last shot is pretty good.

• rebelscum84 likes this

#9 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Fell's Wrath is not a great pilot but he is decent as Soontir fell's wingman. Soontir is often flown with PTL which means he is usually going to have a least a focus, if not a focus, focus, evade, on him. A tanky, turtled up target you'd be best to save for later. If the only other option in range is fell's wrath though... well he's going to get to fire no matter what right? Might as well take the riskyshot on Soontir and hope for the best.

It's not amazing put it does force the opponent to choose between several not great targets, especially if they have high pilot skill.

#10 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

However, if it is for someone like me, whom the "dice gods" hate, the ghost of "Fel's Wrath" having the opportunity for a last shot is pretty good.

I've killed Wedge like this once or twice. I felt the trade was a good one. It at least gives you one last shot, this can be especially important near the end of the game if things aren't going so well for you and you're facing high skill pilots.

• BattlePriest likes this

#11 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

Fell's Wrath is not a great pilot but he is decent as Soontir fell's wingman. Soontir is often flown with PTL which means he is usually going to have a least a focus, if not a focus, focus, evade, on him. A tanky, turtled up target you'd be best to save for later. If the only other option in range is fell's wrath though... well he's going to get to fire no matter what right? Might as well take the riskyshot on Soontir and hope for the best.

It's not amazing put it does force the opponent to choose between several not great targets, especially if they have high pilot skill.

I disagree, always take out Soontir early while you can focus fire him... He's a nightmare late game. Very few ships can out fly or even touch him 1 on 1.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind, 24 January 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#12 zymurgy65

zymurgy65

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

I've only used him once, and had the satisfaction of his taking Wedge down with him. Once the Imperial Aces expansion come out in the UK, however, I think I'll be using Tetran Cowall.

#13 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

IMO, not worth it. You'll get better much better results with a normal saber pilot + EPT. For starters, a saber pilot with VI is initiative 6 and costs the same.

Honestly, I don't know what exactly were FFG thinking when they designed this ability. It's the only ability usable only once per game, and on pilot's death, on top of that, which you normally try to avoid at all costs.

If you ask me, his ability should have let him to perform an additional attack, just before removing him from table. 

• Johdo, TheRealStarkiller and rebelscum84 like this

#14 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

If you ask me, his ability should have let him to perform an additional attack, just before removing him from table. 

Absolutely!

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#15 PS10

PS10

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:20 AM

Arvel Crynyd:

How about if Arvel, immediately after he lost his last hull point, he may execute a boost action. If he manage to overlap an enemy ship, this counts like a Concussion Missile hit. Afterwards remove Arvel from game, and the enemy ship too, if Arvel managed to destroy it. ^^

This would cover his performance like seen in the movie  :)

This would be a nice ability, and makes the boost ability of a-wings more prominent. 

Fell's Wrath:
As soon as Fell's Wrath loses his last hull point make an attack. This attack cannot be affected by focus or target lock. 

• Johdo and TheRealStarkiller like this

Arvel Crynyd - "AAAAaaaahHHHH!"

Green Squadron

#16 Shaadea

Shaadea

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

IMO, not worth it. You'll get better much better results with a normal saber pilot + EPT. For starters, a saber pilot with VI is initiative 6 and costs the same.

actually, a sabre with VI is 1 point less (only 22 points), so get better PS for less points :-)

#17 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Fell's Wrath:
As soon as Fell's Wrath loses his last hull point make an attack. This attack cannot be affected by focus or target lock. 

This! I like the fact that you cant use focus. It's just a last twitch on the trigger ...

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#18 Disgruntled

Disgruntled

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Completely useless pilot, you pay 2 points over a generic Saber Squad to add 1 to pilot skill and give up an elite slot. The ability is not quite useless, as you could put him right into the face of the enemy fighters and then give them the choice to either shoot the guy who will get a shot anyway with extra dice or shoot a target further away and maybe take a shot away from you this round. It's still a pretty horrible ability because it requires you to play him in a way that makes it likely for him to die to use it effectively.

Every other pilot in the game could be improved enough to be used without having to directly change them. The TIE advanced pilots can get a buff from abilities/upgrades that have synergy with secondary weapons or new missiles. Arvel is good against high PS large ships so if there's a new popular high PS pilot for a large ship he'll get a buff. I can't imagine anything that will make Fel's Wrath better than the alternative interceptor pilots. 

#19 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Since you are basically paying for the pilot skill (Pilot skill matters a lot for Interceptors) I don't take him

Instead I take Saber Pilots and give them Veteran Instincts.  That is 1 better PS for 1 less point.

If his ability worked more like Attack Wing's Cheat Death, that would be worth it. 

In case you don't know, cheat death activates when your ship would be destroyed, you then flip all crit cards over and discard damage cards until you have 1 hull remaining.  

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#20 BattlePriest

BattlePriest

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

I also think that the ability does not work against lower skilled pilots because 'Fel's wrath' shoots first, he won't be shooting again if the lower skilled pilot kills him.

*correct me if I'm wrong.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS