• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xeromus

Xeromus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Okay,

So I dusted off a Anima book I purchased ages ago and am determined to try and get a game of it going.

Then I read the book again...

I contacted players and asked for characters

I did some googling of things that confused me.

I began running a quick game with a Mentalist, a Tao and a Dark Paladin.

This thread is more aimed to try and reach a better understanding, I have a really hard time following the rules of Anima because the format just seems allover the place to me.

That being said I am determined to figure it out and chew through it.

Can someone or a few people try to explain psi powers to me? With a example ideally?

I have a mentalist in the game who is asking questions and even reading the book I'm unsure of the answer to give him.

How does Psychic potential work vs Psychic Projection?

How does one go about actually using a Psi power? (is it just a porjection check, adding a floating amount of Psi pot?)

Hows does one resolve a psi power on a target?

How do innate slots work?

In the case, we have a mentalist telepathy/sentience user. and frankly I'm confused to hell.

any explanation or citations would be great.

Thanks in Advance.

#2 Rudeboygraves

Rudeboygraves

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Psychic potential is how much psychic power you have, so you roll a d100 and add your psychic potential to see how great the power is determined by the chart.

• Say the character wants to use the power Psychic Illusion. They have 80 psychic potential and they roll a 50, that would give them a total of 130 on their psychic potential check which would only give them a Difficult difficulty on the check with the target having a psychic potential of 100.

Psychic Projection is used for targeting with a psychic power or when using a psychic shield.

• Say your character got the Difficult difficulty on their Psychic Illusion, now they have to see if they "hit" the target. They roll their psychic potential versus the defense of the character to see if they hit. 
  • Unless the target can see supernatural, (I think) all sentience and telepathy powers are invisible and make targets take a blinded penalty.
  • It takes a minimum of 10% damage on the combat table to affect an opponent with a psychic power.

Innate slots allow characters to maintain a power at the highest level they can with their psychic potential.

• A character with a psychic potential of 90 would only be able to maintain psychic powers at the Medium (80) difficulty level, unless the lowest successful difficulty level is higher than the character's potential. (i.e. A character with 90 potential would be able to maintain Mind Control at the Very Difficult (140) difficulty level because that is the lowest successful level of the power.)
  • A character must successfully use the power to maintain it. (i.e. Rolling a psychic potential that results in failure would not allow the character to maintain the power.)

I hope that helps.

#3 Latoshi

Latoshi

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

It is as Rudeboygraves said. The best way to look at it is Potential is determining how powerful it is while projections is effectively the attack and defense aspect of it.

As a side note for supernatural shields in case this comes up, as the book is ambiguous about telling you straight forward, If the psychic or mage fails their projection roll to defend themselves against the attack they take damage just as they would normally. The shield only takes damage if the psychic or mage defends successfully and that damage is equal to the base damage of the weapon (applying all modifiers for strength ki abilities etc.)

People are not failures simply because they try and fail.

Only when they fail and give up have they truely failed.

#4 cdcace

cdcace

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

As a side note for supernatural shields in case this comes up, as the book is ambiguous about telling you straight forward, If the psychic or mage fails their projection roll to defend themselves against the attack they take damage just as they would normally. The shield only takes damage if the psychic or mage defends successfully and that damage is equal to the base damage of the weapon (applying all modifiers for strength ki abilities etc.)

Ok I've been playing Anima for awhile now, and I just want to clarify some rule for myself. When you say take damage normally, what exactly do you mean. 

Cause how I've understood it, if you even miss your defense roll by 1 using a magic shield, its like you didnt defend at all and take the full oncoming damage from the enemy opponent that attacked you. If i'm wrong Plz PLZ correct me cause I've always hated that ruling but its how I've understood it to this point.

#5 VoidCabbage

VoidCabbage

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

It's just like failing a defense roll. The shield helps deflect some of the blow but you still take damage equal to the degree of failure on the combat chart.

#6 cdcace

cdcace

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

Oh wow, no idea where my group got our idea. This greatly changes Magic/psychics for my group.

Thx

#7 Xeromus

Xeromus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

I love you guys,

This makes psi powers make a lot more sense for me, you guys are a godsend!

#8 Arikail

Arikail

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

That is what we're here for. Also, welcome to the forums. If you haven't checked them out already, there are some "official" forums hosted at:

http://cipher-studio...imaBB/index.php

Some people prefer one or the other, some do both. I think the other is slightly more active, but not by much. Anyway, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS