What defines an "attack"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheBishopsBane

TheBishopsBane

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

This question arose last night and wasn't fully resolved. A pet was purchased from the Menagerie (City Expansion) called the Stinker. The card says:

Instead of attacking an enemy, the player may move that enemy one square clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Now I'm paraphrasing a little as I don't have the card with me, but it definitely said "attacking" and the interpretation of what constitutes an "attack" was disputed. Does this card mean any enemy encountered, or only one which was already on a square when the player moved in to that square?

The one argument here is that if you encounter a square and flip over an adventure card with an enemy, you are "defending" against it rather than "attacking" it and the Stinker is unplayable against it.

The counter-argument is that in any battle the two combatants are "attacking" each other, so the card is playable. It raises the question of whether an "attack" is only considered such from the point of view of the instigator, or if "attack" is essentially just any form of combat.

#2 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Page 10 of the rulebook -

Attacks

Attacks are split into two types: battles and psychic combats.
A battle occurs when a character is attacked by a creature
whose Strength is given, and a psychic combat occurs when
a character is attacked by a creature whose Craft is given. If
a player decides to attack another character, they must fight
a battle unless the attacker has a special ability that lets him
use psychic combat instead.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS