Photo

Game Chambers

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

I think you should arrange your dice more neatly...

Yeah. If they were my regular dice set, it would have all the maximum values face up so all the weight in the dice settle at the bottom. Gamers and their silly dice rituals and superstitions, right?

Edited by kaosoe, 03 February 2014 - 02:45 PM.

• DanteRotterdam likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#42 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Yeah. If they were my regular dice set, it would have all the maximum values face up so all the weight in the dice settle at the bottom. Gamers and their silly dice rituals and superstitions, right?

Personally, I've been told to alternately boil or freeze my dice when I get them to show them who's boss. My current personal theory is the Dice Fairy can only inhabit one set of dice at a time, and I have to guess which set that is. But having multiple sets for her (naturally it's a her) to live in makes her happier, which makes my rolls better.

No, I don't think it makes sense, either.

Edited by CaptainRaspberry, 10 February 2014 - 04:17 PM.

• kaosoe likes this

Sic transit gloria.

#43 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

Ok, time to resurrect this topic. So, after the big move from Germany back to the US, I am finally starting to get my area set back up. So I figured I would show you the progress. Hope you all enjoy.

IMG_3219_zpsdcf74645.jpg

1_zpse4debc99.jpg

2_zps69eefbb7.jpg

3_zps902b61cc.jpg

4_zpsca514e94.jpg

5_zps3e87b56d.jpg

6_zps3257e5a4.jpg

7_zpsb9664aba.jpg

9_zps31e58153.jpg

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#44 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

10_zps0d6a4f74.jpg

11_zps700660df.jpg

12_zpse7a20fc5.jpg

8_zps7f5821f5.jpg

• kaosoe and Shawnacy like this

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#45 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

Nice set up.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#46 Shawnacy

Shawnacy

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

I'm quite surprised your game room doesn't look like the Death Star Conference Room.

• kaosoe likes this

#47 LugWrench

LugWrench

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:54 AM

Personally, I've been told to alternately boil or freeze my dice when I get them to show them who's boss. My current personal theory is the Dice Fairy can only inhabit one set of dice at a time, and I have to guess which set that is. But having multiple sets for her (naturally it's a her) to live in makes her happier, which makes my rolls better.

I have been known to microwave badly performing dice.  Only about 4 or 5 seconds, tops, then I toss them back into the dice bag.  You know...as a warning to the others.

• kaosoe and bradknowles like this

#48 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

It doesn't make any sense. Gamers seem weirdly prone to these strange superstitions about luck, karma, dice hate/love, etc... I find it really funny given that most dice at a table aren't rolled often enough for them to roll "average". I played with my various D20s to see if they were off from the expected/variance values and it took over 400 rolls of each die to get the power of the stats high enough to find that they were rolling pretty average (less than .01% deviation from expected norms after 400 rolls each). So, given that amount of rolling vs the, say 20 rounds of combat, means that I use the dice less than 100 rolls a game (skill checks, attacks, random BSing) and so I'd expect to see "streaks" of low or high values, bounces to extremes (rolling 1s and 20s more), sudden falling to the "middle", etc... as they aren't being rolled enough to be "average" each night.

My group hates me for all the "crits" that I roll in games (currently a Ranger in a Pathfinder game), but then, I roll a d20 8-10 times each combat round right now, when I bother to roll at all. So, one roll a round coming up 19 or 20... falls right on the "average" curve (10% chance of rolling a 19 or 20). I'm also the biggest fumbler in the party (roll lots of 1s when I roll) for the same reason.

For games like EotE or D6 Star Wars, rolls tend to be a bit more towards the "middle" as more dice are added to a pool as the variances from the mean for each die starts to counteract each other.

#49 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

I find the most prevalent superstition amongst gamers is the Gambler's Fallacy.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen people try to "roll all the 1's out" before using their favorite d20.  Heck, I have a friend who used to do the same thing electronically when we played D&D using MapTools.  Whenever he fumbled, he'd hit the dice macro a bunch of times until good numbers came up :)

• progressions and kaosoe like this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.4.0, Released 10/30/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#50 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

The guys in my new group didn't like the idea of sharing the dice. They all said they were going to buy their own. I told them they could but explained how "share" them at the table. A few didn't like the idea, but they are coming around to idea. The old ideas and superstitions are fading away!

#51 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

I have 5 sets of dice total. In our games I set up 3 of them on my end of the table and 2 of them on the other end of the table.

Over the evening they'll get passed around between people so they're not organized anymore, but mainly I just like being able to have them in order when we start.

That, and being able to count them easily to know I haven't lost any. It makes me happy to see them all lined up, but I don't have any superstitions about high or low-rolling dice.

• kaosoe likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS