Space Hulking

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frosty71

Frosty71

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Anyone ever attempt a Space Hulk style campaign? I've been toying with the idea of getting some players together and sending them into a hulk with intent on actually preventing it from drifting back into the warp. Failing that, they can at least recover a lost warhound class titan. Thoughts?

#2 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

A Space Hulk-themed extended Mission would be awesome. I would do it, but I want a very detailed map, and a lot of places/things/gribblies to fill it with, a la D&D style.

=][=

#3 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

If you need inspiration this may help out:

http://store.fantasy...ls.cfm?SKU=DW14

It's a campaign in its own right but also mentions in the description:

...and a Game Master’s guide to Space Hulks in general.  {...} What’s more, GMs can use the included Space Hulk Generator to create unique adventures set in the forlorn corridors of their own cursed Space Hulks!

Loyal Missionary Father Grim of the Kingston 293rd Storm Troopers

#4 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

If you need inspiration this may help out:

http://store.fantasy...ls.cfm?SKU=DW14

It's a campaign in its own right but also mentions in the description:

...and a Game Master’s guide to Space Hulks in general.  {...} What’s more, GMs can use the included Space Hulk Generator to create unique adventures set in the forlorn corridors of their own cursed Space Hulks!

It's not bad, I just recently picked it up.  It's about 25 pages dedicated to space hulk mission generation.  The pre generated adventure needs a lot of work but essentially is a 60 page space hulk type mission. 

#5 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

As a happy owner of Space Hulk (2013) I have used those tiles for my advantage.

Also found nice program from the interwebs that I have used to make maps I then show from TV screen for my players and use GIMP to layer it behind Fog of War.

Heres a link

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#6 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

The first missions I ran in DW were focused on sweeping a Genestealer infestation out of a Space Hulk so that salvage operations could proceed. In the first few missions, I tried to go without detailed maps, instead describing the general surroundings and direction of travel. That proved pretty unsatisfying, and for the later missions I went to full-on D&D-style graph-paper maps.

Ark of Lost Souls contains no maps, either (a consistent problem with WH40KRP adventure books, i.m.o.)- be warned.

Edited by Adeptus-B, 23 January 2014 - 05:55 PM.

• Brother Orpheo likes this

#7 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Purge the Unclean, while railroad-y, had some amazing tactical maps. Everything that's followed has been decidedly meh.

What gives, FFG?

=][=

#8 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

I actually sat down a few weeks ago and started plotting out how I would run a Space Hulk as a megadungeon/sandbox.

I think it can be done with the random generator stuff from Ark of Souls and a helping of common sense. You really dont need specific maps for anything aside from point of interest locations. An ambush in one hallway is by and large the same as an ambush in any other hallway.

The places I have struggled with are resource meta stuff, like supply and so on and so forth. Also loot drops, a big part of the progression in DW is based around reknown and new requisition which sort of falls apart in the model I have in my head.

Dunno. It's a neat thought exercise even if I never get to run it.

#9 Avdnm

Avdnm

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

We were having a mission on a space hulk some time ago and making maps was somehow pointless, as this space hulk was deforming from time to time...

#10 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

The places I have struggled with are resource meta stuff, like supply and so on and so forth. Also loot drops, a big part of the progression in DW is based around reknown and new requisition which sort of falls apart in the model I have in my head.

I had my Killteam based on a Destroyer that was quarantining the 'hulk; they would return to the ship after each specific mission on the 'hulk, allowing them to re-equip and whatnot. If that helps.

#11 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yeah I had initially thought about going that route, as it's clearly the simplest option. 

I was going more for a pack management model though, sort of "you are stuck on the Hulk as it drops in and out of the warp." Then they have the impetus to push out and explore and expand the area that they "control". It creates the need for a whole bunch of contrivances on the GM end but it seemed neat.

As I said I doubt I will ever run it, mostly a design exercise for myself.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS