Which supplements to order?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Vindicares assassins can only roll a single dodge from an attack; worse case a re-roll with fate point, but he still can get hit...sure they can dodge 12 different attack, but they miss one roll and they get the wound.

With Unnatural Agility, that Vindicare isn't likely to miss a dodge ever, except in the case of catastrophic failure. Sure, he might fail it once every four sessions, but they can just fatepoint it away that one time they screw it up, and saying: "Well, he might fail it once every four sessions" is hardly heartening news, when you're dealing with a character that is otherwise nearly invulnerable.

#42 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

Then there is the fact that a properly munchkined Primaris Psyker deals enough damage to reliably kill a Lord of Change every round. Or was it several? It was ridiculous, that's for sure :)

• ColArana likes this

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#43 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Again, that also rise up a problem of the player, not just the system.

#44 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

That's not a problem with the system. That's a problem with the Primaris. :)

#45 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Well, we both get the idea on what we mean.

#46 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

With Unnatural Agility, that Vindicare isn't likely to miss a dodge ever, except in the case of catastrophic failure. Sure, he might fail it once every four sessions, but they can just fatepoint it away that one time they screw it up, and saying: "Well, he might fail it once every four sessions" is hardly heartening news, when you're dealing with a character that is otherwise nearly invulnerable.

What's catastrophic failure? DH doesn't have an auto fail/critical failure system unless I've missed something.

#47 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

What's catastrophic failure? DH doesn't have an auto fail/critical failure system unless I've missed something.

My group's always played with the "on a 100 it's an automatic fail" (And the GM will usually cook up something extra-bad for failing that hard-- your sword breaks on the other guy's armor, you actually zone out and miss a bunch of crucial events, etc. etc.) Wasn't aware that there wasn't an auto-fail in Dark Heresy.

...In that case, a Vindicare with Unnatural Agility will be more or less, virtually invulnerable, and pretty much the only thing I personally can think of that could kill one (as the rules are written) is the Primaris Psyker :/

#48 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

My group's always played with the "on a 100 it's an automatic fail" (And the GM will usually cook up something extra-bad for failing that hard-- your sword breaks on the other guy's armor, you actually zone out and miss a bunch of crucial events, etc. etc.) Wasn't aware that there wasn't an auto-fail in Dark Heresy.

...In that case, a Vindicare with Unnatural Agility will be more or less, virtually invulnerable, and pretty much the only thing I personally can think of that could kill one (as the rules are written) is the Primaris Psyker :/

I'm pretty sure you're playing  with a house rule.

Anyway yeah, 99% is close enough to 100%. :)

BTW in RAW the Vindicare can dodge invisible psychic powers, so your Primaris is screwed too.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 30 January 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#49 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

I'm pretty sure you're playing  with a house rule.

Anyway yeah, 99% is close enough to 100%. :)

BTW in RAW the Vindicare can dodge invisible psychic powers, so your Primaris is screwed too.

Would that extend to "non-damaging" psychic powers like Dominate? Stuff like Bio-lightning, Force Bolt, Holocaust, etc. I could see, but even though I'd generally accepted the Vindicare as hilariously OP I didn't realize it actually extended to stuff like mind control.

#50 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Would that extend to "non-damaging" psychic powers like Dominate? Stuff like Bio-lightning, Force Bolt, Holocaust, etc. I could see, but even though I'd generally accepted the Vindicare as hilariously OP I didn't realize it actually extended to stuff like mind control.

It's very vague. "Attacks that cannot normally be dodged" at the GM's discretion.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS