HBOs True Detective **Spoilers**

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GunSlingerZero

GunSlingerZero

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Anyone watching this show?  I literally jumped up when Matthew McConaughey's character opened the murdered girl's notebook and we were able to clearly read the names King in Yellow and Carcosa.  Add that to the small clue so easily overlooked in the first episode of the little girl claiming a "green spaghetti monster" chased her through the woods and it's very clear now that this show is dripping with references to Lovecraft mythos.

#2 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Except...it's McConaughey so...>.>

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,077 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Ask the production to cast a hot chick for Faust, please...

:P

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

Wow, cool! I didn't realize....I really dislike McConaughey (nice to mention fellow nominees Redford and Hanks at the Golden Globes fella, but passing over your other nominees Idris Elba and Chiwetel Ejiofor), but love Harrelson, so I'm gonna have to watch this...is it based on a true story?

#5 GunSlingerZero

GunSlingerZero

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

It is not based on a true story.  So far, I actually see a lot of parallels between the show and the second chapter of the short story "The Call of Cthulhu".  Basically the show starts with the discovery of a murdered woman posed in a manner suggesting a ritual aspect to the murder.  McConaughey actually plays a character very unlike his usual role - he is very cerebral, existential, even fatalistic - not unlike Lovecraft himself.  Woody plays a more stereotypical hardboiled womanizing detective.  The second episode when they find the murder victim's diary and it is full of ramblings about a King in Yellow and Carcosa is one of the first hints that there's something more going on here.  The show is only two episodes in so far so there isn't too much catching up to do at this point. 

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

This sounds interesting...after I watch the entire season of House of Cards in one sitting and while I await the next season of Game of Thrones, this might do the trick.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#7 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Kidding about Water World aside, I am not an HBO kind of guy. I get nervous when I see their name attached to anything because, quality writing or not, they usually don't have programming I would want someone to walk in on me watching it. XD

#8 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

A friend of mine was saying how she really likes this show.  After this additional recommendation I may have to check it out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS