FFG trying to put an end to OCTGN?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 stevepop

stevepop

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the explanation of Top Tier's deckbuilder. I built one of my decks on there. I'll be moving the others over. fliptheforce.com is down right now so didn't get a chance to try that one.

An exception occurred: The Mysqli extension is required for this adapter but the extension is not loaded in D:\Hosting\11818451\html\forum\library\Zend\Db\Adapter\Mysqli.php on line 291

• KennedyHawk likes this

#22 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

FTF is back up.

#23 FliptheForce

FliptheForce

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

FTF is back up.

We'll be down on/off a bit tonight.  Doing some maintenance to get the podcast section up and running.

Thanks for the explanation of Top Tier's deckbuilder. I built one of my decks on there. I'll be moving the others over. fliptheforce.com is down right now so didn't get a chance to try that one.

An exception occurred: The Mysqli extension is required for this adapter but the extension is not loaded in D:\Hosting\11818451\html\forum\library\Zend\Db\Adapter\Mysqli.php on line 291

Both sites have great builders with different strengths.  Hope you are able to check out both of them and enjoy their differences!

Edited by FliptheForce, 22 January 2014 - 06:05 PM.

http://www.fliptheforce.com

Regional Winner - 2013 and 2014 

Winner of Three Store Championships 2014

Worlds Top 16 - 2013 -- Nationals Top 16 - 2014

#24 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

The idea about the licensees not allowing it is the only way this move makes sense.  I mean, taking the option out of CGDB's editor while doing nothing against OCTGN itself serves only to drive traffic away from CGDB and to its unauthorized competitors, which I can't imagine makes FFG happy after they just bought out CGDB.

#25 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

unauthorized competitors

You mean fan sites, which promote their game - for free, mind you? If that's their approach, they would lose business fast...

Edited by JMCB, 22 January 2014 - 10:37 PM.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#26 Bazeleel

Bazeleel

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

http://www.cardgamed...xport-restored/ They brought it back :) 

• oofalong likes this

#27 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

unauthorized competitors

You mean fan sites, which promote their game - for free, mind you? If that's their approach, they would lose business fast...

I think he means that they'd prefer traffic on their site as opposed to pushing it to other sites.

#28 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

And it looks as if I was fairly close to correct in my supposing.

• KennedyHawk likes this

#29 MaceWinduOwnsYou

MaceWinduOwnsYou

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

The game is not as popular as it should be, certainly. There are pockets here and there, but that leaves a quite a commute for someone that isn't within one of those pockets. Star Wars is the holy grail of IP's. It is a cultural phenomenon and pretty much anything they stamp that logo on is gold. Any TCG/CCG/whateverCG player should be all over this game. It's fast-paced, has great art, and won't break the bank. However, 20 people is considered a "good" turnout at a regional event. Something doesn't add up.

The idea of a required level of popularity is a non-starter statement.  The reality is you, and I, view a number of aspects of this game in a very positive light (a few I'd even say are universal plus sides, such as the art), but other don't.  I wish I could call the price point and distribution model a universal plus, but there was a time of this board that there was a thread complaining every week about needing to buy two core sets, despite how cheap that still makes this game in comparison.  I can probably go find a fairly recent thread on boardgamegeek about someone complaining about having to buy expansions at all.  Secretly, deep down, I miss openning booster packs.  I can go find a thread on boardgamegeek now with a number of players of other CCGs/TCGs/LCGs saying they don't like the game for it's pacing, or combat mechanics, or whatever; all things you'd probably point to as reasons for every CCG/LCG/TCG player to like this game.  Just because you and I view those aspects as positive, does not mean other reasonable people will take the same view.  We are are back to the e-word again.  I don't like Yugi-oh at all, but 45 kids come to my LGS every week to play that ****. 

In regards to Warhammer Invasion.  That game never even had the turn-out this game had in it's first year at it's peak.

With regards to AGoT, it seems that the game doesn't suffer from the chronic delays that SW seems to.

As noted, it does, and did.  This isn't a SW exclusive issue with FFG, it's all their products.  Annoyingly enough.

Hell AGoT even had a time when you had to buy 2-3 of every Chapter Pack because it wasn't a full playset.  AGoT also had to deal with a time when you couldn't get certain important Chapter Packs because they were out of print.

It's pretty weird that they would buy up a fansite and tell it to turn off a button. Again, why even bother buying it?

I, in this thread, already provided you with a reason FFG would tell cardgamedb to get rid of that function.  And it's a reason that doesn't hinge on some semi-nefarious scheme by FFG to sabotage OCTGN, when they could just get rid of it completely in regards to their games.  And is further supported that no other site, but the one they own, has at this point been asked to remove the function.  So no, it isn't weird.  It is only weird if you are looking for it to support something it doesn't.

I never alluded to the fact that anyone defending FFG is on their payroll, I was saying that it's pretty bizarre to attack someone for voicing their opinion on a company that you have no stake in.

I am attacking your opinions and they way in which you present them, because I do not agree with your opinions and the way that you present them.  You continually misconstrue my, and others posts, in disagreement of yours as defense of FFG as opposed to what they are, disagreement with your views.  I, or anyone else, does not have to have a stake in FFG to disagree with your views

Seriously?  The dude says he's done arguing with you and you keep going at it?  You know all that time it took you to type that up was a waste, right?  You are arguing over a card game, and not even a big one at that.  Can't you just let it go and move on, dude?  

Seriously, I've seen your posts before and It makes me wonder if you actually enjoy anything.  Give it up.  Stop trying to make yourself sound smart.  You don't have to prove anything to us...nobody cares.

#30 MaceWinduOwnsYou

MaceWinduOwnsYou

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Well, hooray.

#31 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Well, hooray.

I find it humorous you made an account just today to troll people. Maybe you've been a long time lurker but why dig up an old argument... You're account was also conveniently made right after Intheshadowplays last login.... hmm, Interwebs!

#32 MaceWinduOwnsYou

MaceWinduOwnsYou

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Well, hooray.

I find it humorous you made an account just today to troll people. Maybe you've been a long time lurker but why dig up an old argument... You're account was also conveniently made right after Intheshadowplays last login.... hmm, Interwebs!

I'm not trolling.  I just finally decided to give that guy a piece of my mind.  The latest reply isn't even a week old.  How is it an old argument?  Nice detective work, I guess, but I can assure you I'm not that guy...don't give him a bad name.  

#33 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Well, hooray.

Uh, just because 2 people didn't join the circle jerk doesn't mean that they're the same person. "Wait, someone DIDN'T join in??? They did the opposite??? IMPOSSIBLE!!!" I didn't make a 2nd account, but whatever. Honestly, I just stopped posting lately because I read this: 

http://www.glassdoor...07648.11,31.htm

After that, I kind of realized it's a waste of time to expect anything above and beyond from FFG.

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 30 January 2014 - 11:35 PM.

ITT: Neckbeards use the powers of Autism and a thesaurus to respond to you.

#34 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 30 January 2014 - 11:34 PM.

ITT: Neckbeards use the powers of Autism and a thesaurus to respond to you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS