FFG trying to put an end to OCTGN?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

EDIT: Please read this title as "Is FFG hindering LCG's on OCTGN?". I worded the thread title poorly and it upset some people.

I was just over on cardgamedb.com building some online decks and noticed the "Convert to OCTGN deck file" button was missing. Did a little research on some forums and they're claiming that cardgamedb.com has been bought up by FFG and were told to shut down the OCTGN support for all LCG's. Anyone know if this is true?

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 22 January 2014 - 02:32 PM.

ITT: Neckbeards use the powers of Autism and a thesaurus to respond to you.

#2 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Yes cardgamedb has been bought by ffg, many months ago. The thread you are referring to discusses this and FFGs request to remove this button, they are most likely distancing themselves from OCTGN not trying to shut it down. I wouldn't over react without more info.

#3 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

Meh, kind of lame of them to do that but whatever. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

#4 FliptheForce

FliptheForce

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

Meh, kind of lame of them to do that but whatever. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

FFG is in the business of selling card and board games.  OCTGN provides a text-based way for players to experience and enjoy those products without paying a cent.  Combined with sites that provide OCTGN images of the cards, some players on OCTGN don't pay anything to play..

Why would FFG want to make it easy for players to have that luxury?

• Foxglove and Toqtamish like this

http://www.fliptheforce.com

Regional Winner - 2013 and 2014 

Winner of Three Store Championships 2014

Worlds Top 16 - 2013 -- Nationals Top 16 - 2014

#5 stevepop

stevepop

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

FFG is in the business of selling card and board games.  OCTGN provides a text-based way for players to experience and enjoy those products without paying a cent.  Combined with sites that provide OCTGN images of the cards, some players on OCTGN don't pay anything to play..

Because it keeps people involved in the game and buying cards. If it weren't for OCTGN I wouldn't spend as much money on the game as I have. They're really blowing it here.

Edited by stevepop, 21 January 2014 - 11:30 PM.

• INtheShadowplay likes this

#6 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

It will draw more people into the physical game. A lot of people aren't just going to shell out money without trying the game out first (especially since they need 2 core sets & 2 Edge of Darkness sets just to have decent decks. Not to mention Force packs). Being a small company, they can't afford to alienate any potential players. This is not a good move for the community or the game.

Because it keeps people involved in the game and buying cards. If it weren't for OCTGN I wouldn't spend as much money on the game as I have.

Yes, this.

#7 FliptheForce

FliptheForce

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

This is not a good move for the community or the game.

1) OCTGN still exists, FFG has only removed their own site from making it easy to port decklists.  

2) There are two other sites that have deckbuilders which export to OCTGN - fliptheforce.com and topteirgaming.com.  Fliptheforce even lets you create and print your decklists right onto deck registration sheets for events like Store Champs, Regionals, Nats, Worlds, etc.

The community is fine and certainly won't 'die' because FFG's site doesn't have an option to export decklists.

Edited by FliptheForce, 22 January 2014 - 12:08 AM.

http://www.fliptheforce.com

Regional Winner - 2013 and 2014 

Winner of Three Store Championships 2014

Worlds Top 16 - 2013 -- Nationals Top 16 - 2014

#8 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

This is not a good move for the community or the game.

1) OCTGN still exists, FFG has only removed their own site from making it easy to port decklists.  

2) There are two other sites that have deckbuilders which export to OCTGN - fliptheforce.com and topteirgaming.com.  Fliptheforce even lets you create and print your decklists right onto deck registration sheets for events like Store Champs, Regionals, Nats, Worlds, etc.

The community is fine and certainly won't 'die' because FFG's site doesn't have an option to export decklists.

Didn't say anything about "dying", but negative aspects (however small they are) do stack up when there's a lot of them. It's just a dumb move and won't help sales. The cardbasedb loader was cool because it automatically lumped the Objective sets together, made it way easier to throw together new decks and try them out. The exporting on both of those other sites you listed simply isn't as good or convenient. Also, being able to print out a deck list for tournaments isn't really relevant to someone trying to load decks into OCTGN.

#9 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

As Flip mentioned, we have a deckbuilder and export on TopTierGaming.com. It's made so you can not only leave while working on decks (and all progress is saved automatically), but you can work on multiple decks at once. And its pretty easy to use.

First, you have to be a registered member, then just go to http://toptiergaming.com/decks and click on the "My Decks" button to get started. From "My Decks" you can create new decks, or publish, hide, and delete existing decks.

To start adding cards to a deck, go to http://toptiergaming.com/database. You can quickly sort cards by set release via the drop box menu and you can click on either Card Title, Side, Type, or Block to sort either in ascending or descending order. You can also sort cards out further via the "Card Search" link.

(Pro tip - If you know what cards you want to add to your deck, you can do it quickly with the keyboard shortcut 'CTRL +F' for in-browser search, then start typing the name).

To view a card, highlight over the card's title. To view in detail, click the card's title. From the card detail, you can view cards stats or add the card to a deck.  To add the card to a deck, there is a drop box that says "Add this card and its entire objective set to deck". Select a deck, fill out the quantity and hit Submit. Once a card is added to a deck, it also adds the entire objective set as well.

Once you have a complete deck with at least 61 cards (1 Affiliation card, 10 objectives, and 50 in the Command Deck) you're ready to publish a deck. Just go back to the "My Decks" section, and select publish. You can also leave your decks hidden if you wish. You can then download the deck in OCTGN format (or you can download any other player's OCTGN deck from the deck view page). 

Edited by JMCB, 22 January 2014 - 01:35 AM.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#10 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

As Flip mentioned, we have a deckbuilder and export on TopTierGaming.com. It's made so you can not only leave while working on decks (and all progress is saved automatically), but you can work on multiple decks at once. And its pretty easy to use.

First, you have to be a registered member, then just go to http://toptiergaming.com/decks and click on the "My Decks" button to get started. From "My Decks" you can create new decks, or publish, hide, and delete existing decks.

To start adding cards to a deck, go to http://toptiergaming.com/database. You can quickly sort cards by set release via the drop box menu and you can click on either Card Title, Side, Type, or Block to sort either in ascending or descending order. You can also sort cards out further via the "Card Search" link.

(Pro tip - If you know what cards you want to add to your deck, you can do it quickly with the keyboard shortcut 'CTRL +F' for in-browser search, then start typing the name).

To view a card, highlight over the card's title. To view in detail, click the card's title. From the card detail, you can view cards stats or add the card to a deck.  To add the card to a deck, there is a drop box that says "Add this card and its entire objective set to deck". Select a deck, fill out the quantity and hit Submit. Once a card is added to a deck, it also adds the entire objective set as well.

Once you have a complete deck with at least 61 cards (1 Affiliation card, 10 objectives, and 50 in the Command Deck) you're ready to publish a deck. Just go back to the "My Decks" section, and select publish. You can also leave your decks hidden if you wish. You can then download the deck in OCTGN format (or you can download any other player's OCTGN deck from the deck view page). 

Dude! Thank you!

#11 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

Being a small company, they can't afford to alienate any potential players. This is not a good move for the community or the game.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I realize that FFG is no Hasbro, but they stopped being a "small" company a long time ago.  Seriously the only thing they're not doing right is giving me to option to pay for an app that I can play LCGs on.  $5 for a core set, $3 for a deluxe expansion, and $1 a Force/Data/Story/Chapter pack and I bet it would be easy money from a lot of people.

• Toqtamish and divinityofnumber like this

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#12 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Being a small company, they can't afford to alienate any potential players. This is not a good move for the community or the game.

I realize that FFG is no Hasbro, but they stopped being a "small" company a long time ago.  Seriously the only thing they're not doing right is giving me to option to pay for an app that I can play LCGs on.  $5 for a core set, $3 for a deluxe expansion, and $1 a Force/Data/Story/Chapter pack and I bet it would be easy money from a lot of people.

Uh, if they weren't a small company I don't think they'd have the chronic delay and distribution problems that they have. 

Also, all that they're not doing wrong? That would be really cool if FFG released an official online platform to play their games on. However, I fear that the current problems they have would become even worse if they put their focus into that. There's a few other things that could be better besides not being able to play LCG's on your phone. Read my full rant on all that here: http://community.fan...-of-the-force/ 

At the bottom of that thread, I get into detail about the problems and listed several ways to fix the things that are wrong with how the company deals with their product and players. It might rub some people the wrong way, but if you don't have that common knee-jerk fanboy defensive reaction (totally not saying that you do, it's just a lot gamers have this bizarre "battered wife syndrome" with the companies that make the games that they play), you'll see that it's constructive criticism and would help the game out immensely. Feel free to add to the discussion with any ideas in that thread.

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 22 January 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#13 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

All that they're not doing wrong? That would be really cool if FFG released an official online platform to play their games on. However, I fear that the current problems they have would become even worse if they put their focus into that. There's a few other things that could be better besides not being able to play LCG's on your phone. Read my full rant on all that here: http://community.fan...-of-the-force/ 

At the bottom of that thread, I get into detail about the problems and listed several ways to fix the things that are wrong with how the company deals with their product and players. It might rub some people the wrong way, but if you don't have that common knee-jerk fanboy defensive reaction, you'll see that it's constructive criticism and would help the game out immensely. Feel free to add to the discussion with any ideas in that thread.

What do we call your knee-jerk reactions then?  I mean this thread is one of them.

If FFG wanted to end OCTGN, it wouldn't be through telling cardgamedb to edit their deck builder.  They'd just send a cease and desist letter to those that create the plug-ins and be done with it. 

Have you thought for a second about the fact that FFG creates games based on larger IPs for the most part.  Their licensees only extend so far.  cardgamedb is now an asset of FFG, they own it.  They've sent no other emails to other sites with OCTGN deck-builder ports, just one to the site they own.  Did you ever stop to think there might be a reason behind that?  That FFG can't support any online LCG play because their licensees don't allow them to?  Allowing OCTGN plug-ins to exist may be one thing, but allowing a site you now own to support it is likely another.

So far you're entire presence in regard to this game has been ego-centric self described rants (and this convoluted conspiracy theory) about how FFG is killing this game because you can't find games in your area (nevermind the fact that others don't have this issue) or only find a few games on OCTGN (nevermind the fact that many others find games quite easily).  I'm not sure why you expect people to be receptive to those types of post to be honest.  Whatever actual points you make get swallowed up by the sensationalism and nonsense of your rants

Edited by ScottieATF, 22 January 2014 - 12:10 PM.

• Foxglove, mischraum.de, Toqtamish and 3 others like this

#14 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

All that they're not doing wrong? That would be really cool if FFG released an official online platform to play their games on. However, I fear that the current problems they have would become even worse if they put their focus into that. There's a few other things that could be better besides not being able to play LCG's on your phone. Read my full rant on all that here: http://community.fan...-of-the-force/ 

At the bottom of that thread, I get into detail about the problems and listed several ways to fix the things that are wrong with how the company deals with their product and players. It might rub some people the wrong way, but if you don't have that common knee-jerk fanboy defensive reaction, you'll see that it's constructive criticism and would help the game out immensely. Feel free to add to the discussion with any ideas in that thread.

What do we call your knee-jerk reactions then?  I mean this thread is one of them.

If FFG wanted to end OCTGN, it wouldn't be through telling cardgamedb to edit their deck builder.  They'd just send a cease and desist letter to those that create the plug-ins and be done with it. 

Have you thought for a second about the fact that FFG creates games based on larger IPs for the most part.  Their licensees only extend so far.  cardgamedb is now an asset of FFG, they own it.  They've sent no other emails to other sites with OCTGN deck-builder ports, just one to the site they own.  Did you ever stop to think there might be a reason behind that?  That FFG can't support any online LCG play because their licensees don't allow them to?  Allowing OCTGN plug-ins to exist may be one thing, but allowing a site you now own to support it is likely another.

So far you're entire presence in regard to this game has been ego-centric self described rants (and this convoluted conspiracy theory) about how FFG is killing this game because you can't find games in your area (nevermind the fact that others don't have this issue) or only find a few games on OCTGN (nevermind the fact that many others find games quite easily).  I'm not sure why you expect people to be receptive to those types of post to be honest.  Whatever actual points you make get swallowed up by the sensationalism and nonsense of your rants

I guess I  titled this thread poorly. Apologies. Should have titled it "Is FFG hindering LCG's on OCTGN?". I'm just posting observations about what I think is lame, you've chosen to respond (reaction) to defend FFG (knee-jerk fanboy reaction). 

Acquring cardgamesdb.com: There's nothing wrong with them doing that, but why acquire the website at all? Like, what's the point? Why not improve your own website and let fan-sites simply be? Not a big deal, I'm glad the guys at cardgamesdb.com got paid out for their hard work.

As far as your last paragraph, you're pretty much just making assumptions throughout and responding with emotion (weirdly hostile, I might add) rather than logic. I've only made 3 posts.... one about the card sleeve size of this game, one asking where I could find the release date for Echoes (which turned into a discussion of a lot of other things among the thread contributors), and this one. The bulk of my responses on the latter 2, were constructive criticism and thoughts on what would help the game. If you'll notice, I say a lot of good things about the game and am only trying to voice how they can make the game better. It may get under your skin that I'm calling out certain aspects of the company (still perplexed as why... you're not drawing a paycheck from them), but I'm certainly not saying there's a conspiracy. That was your own conclusion that you jumped to. Of course the company wants the game to flourish (I'd like that too), I'm just saying they're doing things that are counterproductive to that (never ever said it was on purpose) due to bad business decisions. No company improves without hearing the voice of their customers, so it's helpful to share that with them. As far as the "sensationalism and nonsense" bit, all I can really say is: Ha, what? Everything I've stated in my posts has been pretty articulate and explained pretty clearly.

Annnnnnnd: I'm all for discussion, but you kind of just personally attacked me. This is strange because it's basically because I have a different view than you. Whatever, it's the internet, not a big deal. Just realize that everyone's opinion matters and you shouldn't take offense to someone who has one that's different from yours. In the future, please be a little more tactful and realize that a user didn't make a thread with "I'M GONNNNNNA MAKE THIS POST TO UPSET ScottieATF" as their intention.

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 22 January 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#15 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

What gets "under my skin" about your posts is the ego-centrism of them and the illogical conclusions.

What I mean by ego-centrism is that your views are obviously colored by your own experiences, as are everyone's of course.  However, you go a step further and apply your experiences to everyone.  Specifically in regards to the proliferation of this game.  You see none in your area so you go so far as to predict the death of the game as a result of a lack of marketing on FFGs part.  I can't dispute whether the game exists in your area or not, but it exists in mine.  If I were to take your approach of applying my own experience to everyone I'd say you have no idea what you are talking about this game is doing amazingly you probably just haven't looked for people to play with.  But I realize that statement would be unfair.  Just because a game is or isn't doing well in your area doesn't mean it is or isn't doing well overall.  There are plenty of very popular games that see no play in my area.  Just because a game doesn't do well around you does not mean it's death is upon it.

You've made multiple statement directly stating this game isn't popular, which are solely based on it not being popular in your area.  You don't see how that is a logical leap?

Now we have this thread where you take more logical leaps in making some assumptions that FFG would go around their own asses to get to their elbow to undermine OCTGN, when they could just directly address it. 

I would LOVE to see FFG do certain things better in regards to their production, distribution, and Organized Play.  I have been extremely vocal in my criticism of their Organized Play in the past.  Other posters have given you suggestions on how to grow this and other LCGs in your area and you've dismissed them because you feel it isn't your job to do that but FFGs.  The reality is that is how FFGs games work at present.  And you can claim as much as you want that that approach will kill them, but it's the approach they and alot of other successful game systems have used for years and done well with.  AGoT is how old?  These games are not Magic.  They are not designed to be Magic and they won't ever be marketed like Magic is.  If that is what you want in a game, you aren't going to get it here.  FFG should do more, and over the time I've followed their game has started to do more, but let's cut out the chicken little stuff.  The sky isn't going to fall because FFG is less proactive then you'd like.

And hey maybe if you prefer more cordial posts directed towards you cut out coining every opinion not agreeing with you as a knee-jerk fanboy reaction (or allusions that anyone defending FFG is on their payroll).

I'm not defending FFG, I'm just calling your posts for what they are, overly sensational.

• Foxglove, mischraum.de, Toqtamish and 2 others like this

#16 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

What gets "under my skin" about your posts is the ego-centrism of them and the illogical conclusions.

What I mean by ego-centrism is that your views are obviously colored by your own experiences, as are everyone's of course.  However, you go a step further and apply your experiences to everyone.  Specifically in regards to the proliferation of this game.  You see none in your area so you go so far as to predict the death of the game as a result of a lack of marketing on FFGs part.  I can't dispute whether the game exists in your area or not, but it exists in mine.  If I were to take your approach of applying my own experience to everyone I'd say you have no idea what you are talking about this game is doing amazingly you probably just haven't looked for people to play with.  But I realize that statement would be unfair.  Just because a game is or isn't doing well in your area doesn't mean it is or isn't doing well overall.  There are plenty of very popular games that see no play in my area.  Just because a game doesn't do well around you does not mean it's death is upon it.

You've made multiple statement directly stating this game isn't popular, which are solely based on it not being popular in your area.  You don't see how that is a logical leap?

Now we have this thread where you take more logical leaps in making some assumptions that FFG would go around their own asses to get to their elbow to undermine OCTGN, when they could just directly address it. 

I would LOVE to see FFG do certain things better in regards to their production, distribution, and Organized Play.  I have been extremely vocal in my criticism of their Organized Play in the past.  Other posters have given you suggestions on how to grow this and other LCGs in your area and you've dismissed them because you feel it isn't your job to do that but FFGs.  The reality is that is how FFGs games work at present.  And you can claim as much as you want that that approach will kill them, but it's the approach they and alot of other successful game systems have used for years and done well with.  AGoT is how old?  These games are not Magic.  They are not designed to be Magic and they won't ever be marketed like Magic is.  If that is what you want in a game, you aren't going to get it here.  FFG should do more, and over the time I've followed their game has started to do more, but let's cut out the chicken little stuff.  The sky isn't going to fall because FFG is less proactive then you'd like.

And hey maybe if you prefer more cordial posts directed towards you cut out coining every opinion not agreeing with you as a knee-jerk fanboy reaction (or allusions that anyone defending FFG is on their payroll).

I'm not defending FFG, I'm just calling your posts for what they are, overly sensational.

With regards to the charming ego-centrism comment: I did a lot more research than just looking into my local game shops, I looked into gaming stores all over my state. Not much going on. Taking a look at the regional map was even sparser, (3+ states for a regional? Come on). Then I looked at where I could find tournaments all throughout the USA. Read some posts from the previous regionals that took place all around the country too. Around 20 people was a "good" turnout for those. Yikes. I'm not predicting the games death, but I can recognize things that aren't going well which are always the things that you can point to retroactively after a game has been discontinred. I.E. Delays, poor turnouts for regional events, sparse player base, etc. Take a look at Warhammer Invasion... bye bye, Warhammer Invasion. Leads me into the next thing.

The game is not as popular as it should be, certainly. There are pockets here and there, but that leaves a quite a commute for someone that isn't within one of those pockets. Star Wars is the holy grail of IP's. It is a cultural phenomenon and pretty much anything they stamp that logo on is gold. Any TCG/CCG/whateverCG player should be all over this game. It's fast-paced, has great art, and won't break the bank. However, 20 people is considered a "good" turnout at a regional event. Something doesn't add up.

With regards to AGoT, it seems that the game doesn't suffer from the chronic delays that SW seems to. I'm sure HBO's show is giving it a nice little boost in interest as well. I'm glad for that since I have a core set in the mail and there seems to be players in my area for that (Netrunner too). Often times a business strategy that works for one product will not work with another. Wizards of the Coast did Magic, which is their mega money maker and the most popular TCG on the market. They also made World of Warcraft TCG (discontinued 2013) & Star Wars TCG (discontinued 2005) using the same business plan.

Warhammer Invasion's dead now... so it's not like LCG's are immune.

EDIT: Toqtamish pointed out WoW TCG wasn't made by WotC. Sorry about that.

It's pretty weird that they would buy up a fansite and tell it to turn off a button. Again, why even bother buying it? Whatever, they can do what they like and I can have an opinion on it. So can you! See how that works? No name calling or hostility. :)

You're kind of putting a lot of words into my mouth throughout your post, so it's a little hard for me to know where to start. I never alluded to the fact that anyone defending FFG is on their payroll, I was saying that it's pretty bizarre to attack someone for voicing their opinion on a company that you have no stake in. You gain nothing from that. I think "overly sensational" is a bit of an overstatement when it comes to a post on a card game forum, haha.

I really don't want to argue or have harsh feelings towards anyone, we all enjoy the same stuff and I don't want the forums to be a negative experience for anyone. So after your next round of jabs, let's just call it. I will try to focus more on the positive side of things because I realize that I may be seen as a "downer". Sorry if I pissed you off and hope that we can go forward in a better way.

Edited by INtheShadowplay, 22 January 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#17 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

WoW TCG was not made by WOTC. It was made by Upper deck and then Cryptozoic.

AGoT has had its share of delays during its time as a LCG.

#18 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

WoW TCG was not made by WOTC. It was made by Upper deck and then Cryptozoic.

You are correct, my mistake. Sorry about that.

#19 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

The game is not as popular as it should be, certainly. There are pockets here and there, but that leaves a quite a commute for someone that isn't within one of those pockets. Star Wars is the holy grail of IP's. It is a cultural phenomenon and pretty much anything they stamp that logo on is gold. Any TCG/CCG/whateverCG player should be all over this game. It's fast-paced, has great art, and won't break the bank. However, 20 people is considered a "good" turnout at a regional event. Something doesn't add up.

The idea of a required level of popularity is a non-starter statement.  The reality is you, and I, view a number of aspects of this game in a very positive light (a few I'd even say are universal plus sides, such as the art), but other don't.  I wish I could call the price point and distribution model a universal plus, but there was a time of this board that there was a thread complaining every week about needing to buy two core sets, despite how cheap that still makes this game in comparison.  I can probably go find a fairly recent thread on boardgamegeek about someone complaining about having to buy expansions at all.  Secretly, deep down, I miss openning booster packs.  I can go find a thread on boardgamegeek now with a number of players of other CCGs/TCGs/LCGs saying they don't like the game for it's pacing, or combat mechanics, or whatever; all things you'd probably point to as reasons for every CCG/LCG/TCG player to like this game.  Just because you and I view those aspects as positive, does not mean other reasonable people will take the same view.  We are are back to the e-word again.  I don't like Yugi-oh at all, but 45 kids come to my LGS every week to play that ****. 

In regards to Warhammer Invasion.  That game never even had the turn-out this game had in it's first year at it's peak.

With regards to AGoT, it seems that the game doesn't suffer from the chronic delays that SW seems to.

As noted, it does, and did.  This isn't a SW exclusive issue with FFG, it's all their products.  Annoyingly enough.

Hell AGoT even had a time when you had to buy 2-3 of every Chapter Pack because it wasn't a full playset.  AGoT also had to deal with a time when you couldn't get certain important Chapter Packs because they were out of print.

It's pretty weird that they would buy up a fansite and tell it to turn off a button. Again, why even bother buying it?

I, in this thread, already provided you with a reason FFG would tell cardgamedb to get rid of that function.  And it's a reason that doesn't hinge on some semi-nefarious scheme by FFG to sabotage OCTGN, when they could just get rid of it completely in regards to their games.  And is further supported that no other site, but the one they own, has at this point been asked to remove the function.  So no, it isn't weird.  It is only weird if you are looking for it to support something it doesn't.

I never alluded to the fact that anyone defending FFG is on their payroll, I was saying that it's pretty bizarre to attack someone for voicing their opinion on a company that you have no stake in.

I am attacking your opinions and they way in which you present them, because I do not agree with your opinions and the way that you present them.  You continually misconstrue my, and others posts, in disagreement of yours as defense of FFG as opposed to what they are, disagreement with your views.  I, or anyone else, does not have to have a stake in FFG to disagree with your views

Edited by ScottieATF, 22 January 2014 - 03:34 PM.

• INtheShadowplay likes this

#20 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

The idea of a required level of popularity is a non-starter statement.  The reality is you, and I, view a number of aspects of this game in a very positive light (a few I'd even say are universal plus sides, such as the art), but other don't.  I wish I could call the price point and distribution model a universal plus, but there was a time of this board that there was a thread complaining every week about needing to buy two core sets, despite how cheap that still makes this game in comparison.  I can probably go find a fairly recent thread on boardgamegeek about someone complaining about having to buy expansions at all.  Secretly, deep down, I miss openning booster packs.  I can go find a thread on boardgamegeek now with a number of players of other CCGs/TCGs/LCGs saying they don't like the game for it's pacing, or combat mechanics, or whatever; all things you'd probably point to as reasons for every CCG/LCG/TCG player to like this game.  Just because you and I view those aspects as positive, does not mean other reasonable people will take the same view.  We are are back to the e-word again.  I don't like Yugi-oh at all, but 45 kids come to my LGS every week to play that ****. 

In regards to Warhammer Invasion.  That game never even had the turn-out this game had in it's first year at it's peak.

With regards to AGoT, it seems that the game doesn't suffer from the chronic delays that SW seems to.

As noted, it does, and did.  This isn't a SW exclusive issue with FFG, it's all their products.  Annoyingly enough.

Hell AGoT even had a time when you had to buy 2-3 of every Chapter Pack because it wasn't a full playset.  AGoT also had to deal with a time when you couldn't get certain important Chapter Packs because they were out of print.

It's pretty weird that they would buy up a fansite and tell it to turn off a button. Again, why even bother buying it?

I, in this thread, already provided you with a reason FFG would tell cardgamedb to get rid of that function.  And it's a reason that doesn't hinge on some semi-nefarious scheme by FFG to sabotage OCTGN, when they could just get rid of it completely in regards to their games.  And is further supported that no other site, but the one they own, has at this point been asked to remove the function.  So no, it isn't weird.  It is only weird if you are looking for it to support something it doesn't.

I never alluded to the fact that anyone defending FFG is on their payroll, I was saying that it's pretty bizarre to attack someone for voicing their opinion on a company that you have no stake in.

I am attacking your opinions and they way in which you present them, because I do not agree with your opinions and the way that you present them.  You continually misconstrue my, and others posts, in disagreement of yours as defense of FFG as opposed to what they are, disagreement with your views.  I, or anyone else, does not have to have a stake in FFG to disagree with your views

Cool.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS