• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

I would like to see a secondary weapon you could add to a ship to remove an asteroid from the play field. unlimited ability would be over kill but perhaps a card like this:

missile:

Attack value:2

requires focus: roll 2 attack die, on a hit or crit hit remove asteroid from the play area.

Squad value: 3

This would allow the removal of one asteroid for one missile. With the missile to require a focus there is a small chance to miss. It would take away a chance for a ship to attack but in some builds open up the field for large ships. Thoughts?

#2 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

I think any turn you want to spend shooting at rocks and not at me, let alone spending SQUAD POINTS to do it, is fine by me.   :P

• oneway, a4rino, Duke of Advil and 1 other like this

#3 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

I think any turn you want to spend shooting at rocks and not at me, let alone spending SQUAD POINTS to do it, is fine by me.   :P

I would agree. :D

Also, a large part of the strategy I've observed by very experienced players hangs on precise astroid placement and excellent flying skills. Giving someone an way to remove that strategic element probably would only be used by someone like me: a very inexperienced player.
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#4 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

I think it's workable if you can also do something to ships and/or mines. Like, blowing up the asteroid causes shrapnel or something.

Possibly a use for the as-of-yet-unreleased Thermal Detonator (the only bomb in cannon not yet used in-game :D)

#5 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

I think mostly because it's a hand held grenade like weapon, and not ship launched...

I don't feel asteroid destruction is feasable in this game, the asteroids would have lots of hit points.. look at the asteroid field fight, after a TIE hits one the asteroid barely reacts to it.. you would need massive amounts of either ordnance or concentrated fire.. and by then your opponent will have eaten you up.. very impractical..

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#6 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

I think mostly because it's a hand held grenade like weapon, and not ship launched...

I don't feel asteroid destruction is feasable in this game, the asteroids would have lots of hit points.. look at the asteroid field fight, after a TIE hits one the asteroid barely reacts to it.. you would need massive amounts of either ordnance or concentrated fire.. and by then your opponent will have eaten you up.. very impractical..

Thermal Detonators weren't grenade-like weapons, even though they could fit in your hand. Bombers threw them from orbit.

#7 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Well that's news to me, never heard that before.. and I've done RPGs and am a huge SW nerd.. can you point me where you saw that.. cause that sounds whacky to me lol

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

#8 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Well that's news to me, never heard that before.. and I've done RPGs and am a huge SW nerd.. can you point me where you saw that.. cause that sounds whacky to me lol

http://starwars.wiki...i/TIE/sa_bomber under Armaments.

• oneway likes this

#9 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Interesting.... i may try to make a heavy bomber.. a 3rd hull mounted on top.. way cool.. lol double up the load of a bomber.. that would rock ... haha

Thanks for pointing that out.. I should have checked that long ago.

Edited by oneway, 21 January 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#10 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Wookiepeedia contradicts itself?  Say it ain't so... ;)

http://starwars.wiki...ermal_detonator (linked right off the Tie Bomber page)

Maybe Thermal Detonators are a type of explosive, and come in a variety of sizes? 

#11 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

first, you'll need an Awing

Edited by Duraham, 21 January 2014 - 08:37 PM.

• DraconPyrothayan, Duke of Advil and Lappenlocker like this

#12 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well.. wookieepedia is .. information entered by individuals.. I rarely trust it 100%

I know most people think of Leia masquerading as Boush and her holding out the detonator as barganing power with Jabba.. if they are used as weapons for bombing, they would be effective. As I mentioned, this was the first time I'd heard of it.. and I have been a fan since seeing it in the theater in 77 as a teen.. lol

Edited by oneway, 21 January 2014 - 08:46 PM.

• Duke of Advil likes this

#13 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I would assume the thermal dets on the TIE bomber would be larger versions of the hand held grenade, but not an orbital weapon. The bomber is designed to get up close and personal. If you wanted to attack from orbit, use a Star Destroyer, or better still a Death Star, but only if you've got one handy.

I do like the idea of asteroid removal/destruction, but if you shoot something like that, it's going to create debris, just like the Atari game from so long ago. Shoot a big one, get two or three small ones. Ep V saw the Imps blasting asteroids in an attempt to get to the Falcon.  Ep II was another example of how to create debris. It seemed George Lucas loved the asteroid fields and the hazards they created for the heroes. 

Playing a 50-60point chase through an asteroid field on a larger table (6' x 3') could be a lot of fun. Doesn't have to be an asteroid field either, could be a debris field from a destroyed starship with big hunks of hull floating around. The options are endless. Probably wouldn't limit it to secondary weapons though, some of them are one shot and it's used, and that wouldn't last long enough.

• oneway likes this

Rick   -   Hastings, New Zealand

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

Scum & Villainy: 2 Z-95 (planned), 1 Y-Wing (planned) + 1 HWK-290, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Firespray-31 (ready to go)

#14 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

My comments were not meant in limiting, my thought was that that would probably be a way to do it.. I think blasters, lasers, missiles and torps are easily useable... but I feel its a wasted use in this game. If you're shooting asteroids, your opponent might be shooting you and flying around them.
As for the thermal detonators, we only see them in use.. really.. once in the movies, that I recall. The part in Jabba's palace where Leia uses it for barganing power.. that would be a hard sell for a "bombing" weapon, but I suppose if they were hung in a rack and could be set electronically.. they could be used.. I also feel that a larger version would be more logical for a bombarding weapon, but the small hand held version is really the only one seen in movies or RPGs... hence my confusion in their use as a bombing weapon.
Though 64 dropped on an area could be quite the show of fireworks, as the damage from them is supposed to be quite dramatic.. I know in RPGs they are fairly detrimental to ones health.. lol

Just how I see things..

#15 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

first, you'll need an Awing

LOL, guess what I was working on today...

Asteroid_Token.jpg

I did put some destroyable objects in the Celestial Phenomenon cards. They were treated as one hit killed, but given a high agility it being hard to target week points (this cut down on record keeping, they were either in play or not.)

Edited by Rodent Mastermind, 22 January 2014 - 05:45 PM.

• oneway likes this

#16 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

I just got some lava rocks and will be making some asteroids with them.. large ones.. lol. 2 are fairly large, and 1 is 'huge' lol.. size of my fist or so.. just need to drill holes for stands and paint stands black.. love your stand there Rodent.. looks awesome..

#17 Duke of Advil

Duke of Advil

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

-snip-.... and I have been a fan since seeing it in the theater in 77 as a teen.. lol

is it possible there is someone here older than I?

EMPIRE SHIPS [TIE Fighters(5)] [TIE Interceptor(1)] [Firespray-31(1)] [TIE Advanced(1)] [TIE Bomber(1)]

REBEL SHIPS [X-Wing(3)] [B-Wing(1)] [A-Wing(1)] [YT-1300(1)] [Y-Wing(1)] [HWK-290(1)]

Vaders Redemption

#18 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Haha.. Advil, I turn 50 in june..
  • Duke of Advil likes this

#19 Darth evil

Darth evil

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

you know it's kind of funny that every game in tournaments always has 6 asteroids but in episode 5 Leia and C3PO both consider it absolutely crazy to go into and asteroid field,so why exactly are we always flying around them?not to mention the fact that they have to be no cliser than range 2 to any board edge, wth!

Edited by Darth evil, 22 January 2014 - 08:40 PM.

• oneway likes this

Empire ship: Tie Fighter x7, Tie Interceptor x6, Tie Advanced,Tie Bombers x4,Lambda Shuttle ,Firespray,Tie Phantomx3,Tie Defender x2

Rebel Ships:X-wing x4,B-wing x3,Y-wing x2, A-wing x2, YT-1300,E-wing x1

#20 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Haha.. Advil, I turn 50 in june..

Woo hoo! I'm NOT the oldest here (barely).
  • oneway and Duke of Advil like this
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS