A cry for more universal cards

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:06 AM

As i said before maybe my English are so bad and you may misunderstood me.

I never said if you are not a fan of Tolkien you can't enjoy and have fun with this game.I talked about freedom and that Lotr games can be very restricted.This game called Lord of the rings for a reason.Have you seen the description of the game?If you read the category of this game says:Fantasy,Novel-based.FFG payed Lotr license for a reason.So if someone comes in this forum and blames the game cause he can't use Sting on Boromir or Narsil on Gimli it is not FFG's fault.

As for Tolkien nuts, are you sure you used the word correctly mate?Appreciating the work of an English philologist who created a hole genre with his work doesn't make you a nut.Wanting to play a game based on his novels and this game can be true to the story events and characters doesn't make you nut.I can agree that some people over react wen something is not true to Tolkien writes but calling some one a nut it is not very polite.

Anyway everyone has his own taste and reasons to play a game and my post wasn't meant to criticize anyone and i don't want to start a fight.

Margina:I don't really take my sources from internet i don't really trust internet so if you want (and you don't already know) and you like fantasy genre and Tolkien's work take all his books(from silmarilion to unfinished tales) and some books of his son and you can have all the informations you need.

Again i am sorry if i offended someone with my post.

#22 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

Nut, Fan, Lunatic, Aficionado, Connoisseur.. w/e. To me anyone that likes that crap is a bit off in the head.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#23 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

Nut, Fan, Lunatic, Aficionado, Connoisseur.. w/e. To me anyone that likes that crap is a bit off in the head.

LOL ok. And someone like you is very mature, reasonable and intelligente person pffff.So those who voted him 6th on the list of the greatest British writers since 1945 are Lunatics and you are the voice of reason.Sleep well Einstein...

Really how old are you 10?Nah forget it i am done with you.

• karagh likes this

#24 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, probably as much as anyone spending many of hours in the internet writing about a game.

• servant of the secret fire and John85 like this

#25 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

not just one game!
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#26 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:13 AM

not sure exactly how having a deep understanding of the methodologies of teaching academia has anything to do with a card game having multicultural themes but w/e. Sure you using that word correctly, mate?

Yes, but I take it from the 'mate'-ing and your conceptualisation of the word that you are British? You guys have a different understanding of the word. In continental Europe it's actually aligned with socio-cultural themes. To you, I'm probably just some sort of social worker. But I just meant it as a side-note. :P

@servant: I'm not complaining Sting can't be used on Boromir or his brothers-in-arms. I'm just pointing out the apparent lack of universal cards. Played a little more LotR this weekend and I can say it's not problematic yet and - given the release of new cards - probably will never be. I obviously like the theme and the flavor of the game. Otherwise I would'nt have bought 3 expansions and 8 chapter packs. :P I also realise releasing too many good universal cards will result in people playing with 50% of their deck all the time. I guess that may be why they're withholding.

Edited by Marginal0, 10 February 2014 - 03:21 AM.

#27 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Wow, be careful with that edge, booored.

As someone who's very interested in european folklore and culture (and thus fantasy literature as a study of the former, which is pretty much how Tolkien can be resumed), I disagree with you in that everybody who likes fantasy is off in the head. The thing is that, besides all that, this is a LOTR based card game. Everyone has said that already, and so I will again. Lunatics or not, this game is focused to people who are interested in Tolkien's world, and they're it's main source of income. I'd say that about 70% of players are indeed theme players, and when you have such a large portion of your crowd in that category, you have to focus your efforts on pleasing that category. If you read Caleb's articles, you can see how they've been doing exactly that, and most of the preview articles have been about theme and story and whatnot, so the focus on isn't going away anytime soon. LOTR is one of the biggest fantasy franchises ever and one with some of the most ardent fanbases, so really, what did you expect when you join a community based around this game? To go in the forums and tell people that they're nuts because they don't have the same taste as you? Really? Anyway, it's obvious that this game was designed for Tolkien fans, and ust because you're an enlightened minority doesn't mean everyone has to accomodate to your opinions in a community forum, let alone the developers of this game.

Tribal decks make sense in a game such as this. Much like they would in a Dark Ages based lcg with the britons, vikings, saxons etc. Do they make sense machanically? Maybe not to you. Do they make sense thematically? Hell yes. And guess what, this game is focused on theme.

That said, I still wouldn't like to see them only focus on traits, since that would, as you say, make for an "artificial" deckbuilding guideline. I agree on that. However, I still see that this game has a very high level of thematic customization since you can, and in fact it's also endorsed, make a deck with Dunhere, Elrond and Thalin as your heroes. Wasn't the fellowship of the ring exactly that? A collection of unlikely races joining up to go on an adventure? I think there's really no more need for a tribal focus than the one they're already doing.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 10 February 2014 - 04:10 PM.

• servant of the secret fire, danpoage, Karlson and 1 other like this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#28 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

not sure exactly how having a deep understanding of the methodologies of teaching academia has anything to do with a card game having multicultural themes but w/e. Sure you using that word correctly, mate?

@servant: I'm not complaining Sting can't be used on Boromir or his brothers-in-arms. I'm just pointing out the apparent lack of universal cards. Played a little more LotR this weekend and I can say it's not problematic yet and - given the release of new cards - probably will never be. I obviously like the theme and the flavor of the game. Otherwise I would'nt have bought 3 expansions and 8 chapter packs. :P I also realise releasing too many good universal cards will result in people playing with 50% of their deck all the time. I guess that may be why they're withholding.

Yea sorry if i sounded like i was giving you a lesson this wasn't my intention.The problem with universal cards is that in LOTR universe most things like swords,powers,artifacts even horses are bound with certain people and as you said maybe they don't want you to use the same deck for all quest and just use one or 2 cards from a new AP.

It is very nice you enjoy the game so much and if you have an idea of some universal cards please share it so we can discuss.

#29 Downer

Downer

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

TBH, I think that you are just taking a very simple approach to something being "tribal."

Requiring a trait, in my opinion, is not tribal. Why? Well, I've built a Dwarf deck (a definitively tribal one) and also used Venya and Elrond in it. Venya being, the most restrictive card in the game. So I played a card that required one very specific card to be played with it, and played it in a deck that had a completely different set of demands.

Yet on the other hand, under your analysis for Morgul Vale, a Dwarf (really on the virtue of being an ally, but they all generally have solid stats) would be a universally playable card. Outlands characters would be universally playable, yet they are the most tribal of tribes.

Your reasoning breaks down because you do not consider the traits that are generated by Heroes to be resources. Instead, you treat your Heroes like they are just cards in your deck, which they are actually not. I mean, literally. In the rule book, your deck does not include your heroes.

Every card requires something (unless you want to play a deck of 0 cost neutral cards). Requiring a trait doesn't make your deck tribal when you know that you can start off with a Hero with that trait, because you start off with a hero with that trait and Heroes are not in your deck. So why would it require your deck to be tribal, when the card requirement can be satisfied without involving your deck at all?

A tribal deck is a deck of cards where the cards in the deck synergy/require each other to work optimally. Not simply because it shares a trait.

Spear of the Mark is tribal? Why? Because playing something like Theoden (or some Rohan hero and some Tactic hero) is necessary? Does playing Theoden force you into a tribe? Does playing Spear of the Mark and Theoden force you into a tribe? It doesn't. 

I mean, Spear of the Mark is generally terrible, but if you are honestly looking at what deck this leads to, it's not a Rohan deck it's a quick strike type deck, running cards like Quick Strike, Theoden/Dunhere, Eorlingas. Or maybe they combine that with more direct damage cards. But the point is, you don't actually have to run any of those cards. You can run any other set of cards that you want (Spheres not with standing), because neither of the cards force you into a tribe.

I mean, I could go on and on...

Edited by Downer, 14 February 2014 - 01:47 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS