Photo

How does ranged defense apply against Move?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Dbuntu

Dbuntu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

This discussion illustrates my motivation behind starting the thread--the description and rules are suitably nebulous on how Move actually interacts with the ranged attack rules (and cover, for that matter).

If someone is crouched behind a table, and you pick up an object behind them and hurl at them, do they have cover?
If someone is crouched behind a table, and you pick them up, do they have cover?
If you drop something on the person behind the table, do they have cover?

I would say yes. They took a maneuver to gain the benefits of cover. Remember that we're dealing with nebulous and fuzzy ranges and there is no one "direct line" from attacker to target. Unless something is done to remove that cover bonus (either by moving the cover away from them, them away from the cover, or spending threat/advantage to negate cover) they still have it.

I'd say it depends on how tactical a game you are playing. If you're just using the vague sort of range bands, he'd probably keep cover. If you have a map out with minis and want flanking to be part of combat encounters, then he probably doesn't get to keep cover. It's such a minute thing if a player wanted to describe it I'd just let him roll it. What's it going to amount to an extra point of damage?

I misspoke earlier. I meant to say "line of effect" not "line of sight". Have you played Mass Effect? I'm thinking like that. You need to be able to "reach out and touch your target" in order to affect them.

I don't think ME Bionics are really the same thing as the Force. We see Vader "reach out and touch" Luke between starships. We see Luke "reach out and touch" Leia from underneath Cloud City. We see Ben "reach out and touch" Luke from some vauge land of Force Purgatory. I mean Kenobi is dead and still "reaching out and touching" Luke. That right there should really make you question the idea of "line of effect" for something like the Force. Old Ben Kenobi can reach out from beyond the grave, but that Stormtrooper has cover bonuses from across the room? Seems at least a little suspect to me. But as above: probably depends a great deal on your point of view. Or at least how your group prefers their combat encounters.

#22 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

I misspoke earlier. I meant to say "line of effect" not "line of sight". Have you played Mass Effect? I'm thinking like that. You need to be able to "reach out and touch your target" in order to affect them.

I don't think ME Bionics are really the same thing as the Force. We see Vader "reach out and touch" Luke between starships. We see Luke "reach out and touch" Leia from underneath Cloud City. We see Ben "reach out and touch" Luke from some vauge land of Force Purgatory. I mean Kenobi is dead and still "reaching out and touching" Luke. That right there should really make you question the idea of "line of effect" for something like the Force. Old Ben Kenobi can reach out from beyond the grave, but that Stormtrooper has cover bonuses from across the room? Seems at least a little suspect to me. But as above: probably depends a great deal on your point of view. Or at least how your group prefers their combat encounters.

I'm not talking about all Force powers. I'm speaking specifically of the Move power. In order to affect a target with the Move power, you need to be able to "reach out and touch them." Why? Because it follows all the rules for ranged attacks, which includes cover and the like. Telepathy is on a totally different scale, and will be it's own power with it's own rules.

-EF

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS