Expansion Wishlisting

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Iffo

Iffo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

About those 40K suggestions - there will surely be rules changes for it especially about ranged attacks: at least 4 out of 6 sides of the dice should hit, range should factor into the effectiveness of ranged attacks (kind of like it does in X-Wing), etc.

Apart form that I'm pretty sure we'll see some combination of customising heroes, collecting artifacts (as someone suggested), some story driven campaign probably, neutrals/mobs, as well as all the iconic Warhammer unit types that are still missing (squigs, goblins and snotlings, witch hunters, more mages, beastmen, etc. etc.)

I just hope those won't be too similar to each other (as a lot of disks in the core set are). Not too worried though - after all they're mostly relying on core mechanics now so more complexity can be introduced later.

A lot of ground to cover!!

(-o-)   (-o-)   (-o-)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (-co-)   (-co-)   (-co-)  

:>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   -</o\>-   -</o\>-   @-|=---o   @-|=---o 

#42 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

If I was doing 40k, I wouldn't want to do "40k 40k" - that's what the TT game covers, and, as noted, the rules for discwars favour close engagement where discs stacking and pinning other discs matter. Enough popular factions in the TT game dislike fisticuffs for that to be a problem.

What I'd consider is solving this problem by pumping up the scale - especially since GW have withdrawn Epic:Armageddon as a game - and have the discs represent huge units - terrain tiles representing something like a manufactorum complex, or a cluster of hills, not a forest consisting of three trees or one ruined building, and unit discs which are "Ultramarines 3rd Company", "Cadian 8th", or "Imperius Dictatio" rather than a single squad.

That way, 'melee' represents units in close assaults - which means not just melee but also small arms fire - bolters, flamers, etc - whilst 'ranged' attacks only come from units with big clusters of heavy weapons (Devastator companies, Lootas, etc) at short-medium range, or true artillery units for long range.

• MechaBri.Zilla likes this

#43 MechaBri.Zilla

MechaBri.Zilla

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

If I was doing 40k, I wouldn't want to do "40k 40k" - that's what the TT game covers, and, as noted, the rules for discwars favour close engagement where discs stacking and pinning other discs matter. Enough popular factions in the TT game dislike fisticuffs for that to be a problem.

What I'd consider is solving this problem by pumping up the scale - especially since GW have withdrawn Epic:Armageddon as a game - and have the discs represent huge units - terrain tiles representing something like a manufactorum complex, or a cluster of hills, not a forest consisting of three trees or one ruined building, and unit discs which are "Ultramarines 3rd Company", "Cadian 8th", or "Imperius Dictatio" rather than a single squad.

That way, 'melee' represents units in close assaults - which means not just melee but also small arms fire - bolters, flamers, etc - whilst 'ranged' attacks only come from units with big clusters of heavy weapons (Devastator companies, Lootas, etc) at short-medium range, or true artillery units for long range.

Someone suggested this over on BGG.  Maybe you.  I absolutely love this idea.  Though I sort of hope they don't do it.  FFG is siphoning off enough of my income as it stands.   :)

Seriously though, I would buy a Diskwars 40k Armageddon game in a heart beat.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla, 31 March 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#44 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Not me. I would also be on that like stuff on stuff that that stuff is on very quickly.

Remembering Epic, you'd probably see the companies being the large discs (having support units attached to companies rather than regiments built round heroes as per WHFB DW):

So marines get Battle, Tactical, Assault and Devastator Companies - Assault emphasises speed and assault value (but poor counter as they can't hold an objective in a defensive firefight), Tactical is slower but better able to hold its ground if pinned by an attacker, and Devastators get good ranged attacks - whilst Battle is a 'jack of all trades' mix of the three.

Subsequent expansion can throw in scout and veteran companies.

Then medium discs are your superheavies (Fellblade, Knight, etc) and squadrons (Predator Assassin Squadron), and small discs your characters (Librarian, Techmarine, Inquisitor)

Titans are also big discs - equivalent of a company. Read 'Swarm', 'Host', 'Big Mob', etc as appropriate for other race's big stuff.

Guard get.....err....what's the list?

• Emperor's Shield infantry company (Infantry Platoons)
  • Emperor's Fist Tank Company (Tank Squadrons)
  • Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company (Basilisks)
  • Emperor's Thunder Heavy Artillery Company (Colossus)
  • Emperor's Talons Recon Company (Sentinals)

plus attached platoons/squadrons etc as medium discs and commissars, etc, as small discs.

#45 Tartarous

Tartarous

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

beastmen would be nice

#46 MechaBri.Zilla

MechaBri.Zilla

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

beastmen would be nice

And, I think that's a possibility.  It doesn't look like they've been lumped into Chaos as of yet.  So here's hoping.

#47 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

Well, there's no real problem in my mind if they are classed as 'chaos', as long as there are enough units that you could do a pure beast (or daemon, or mortal) force if you like...

#48 RAFEL

RAFEL

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

OK, its all "super duper"! But when its going to be out?! Its April already, and it was supposed be lunched in March!

#49 Iffo

Iffo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

No, it's not. The expansions are scheduled for Q2 2014 ... which is likely to be May/June.

(-o-)   (-o-)   (-o-)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (-co-)   (-co-)   (-co-)  

:>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   -</o\>-   -</o\>-   @-|=---o   @-|=---o 

#50 Westonard

Westonard

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

They said end of Quarter 2 at that. Which makes it late May/June assuming it isn't delayed. After all X wing was delayed and they had a hard time producing enough Wave 2 ships if I recall.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS