Treat as Cultist

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

The text on the back of the Dark Druid token states he should be treated as a cultist. Child of the Goat says that as well.. What does this mean exactly? Not to change all of the ratings on the token to the same that apply currently for cultist monsters, I wouldn't think.. If that were the case, wouldn't all the ratings be exactly the same as an original cultist? I'm sure I'm missing something spectacularly obvious, but any help is appreciated!

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

"Treat as a cultist": "Cultist" is a keyword triggering all abilities affecting cultists. Hence, a Dark Druid being drawn in a Rhan game triggers the AO ability, a Child of the Goat killed in a Yig game triggers the +1 doom, and so on

Generally speaking, monsters "treated as cultists" mantain their raitings unless the AO's power specifically set their ratings to specific valus. For example, in a Yig game, a Dark Druid will be easier to defeat than normally (ref: FAQ pag 35)

Hope this helps

• The Professor likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

Thank you Julia! Yes that helps very much! Just to finish the entire thought, in the Yig example...the Dark Druid would keep all of his stats as listed on the token with the exception of his combat rating (which would change from -2 to 0), and his stamina damage (which would improve from 1 to 4, due to poison). Plus the other things you mentioned. Appreciate it.

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

Yes, you're correct on the final Yig-Dark Druid!

Out of curiosity: are you returning to Arkham, Schmiegel? :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

This came up in Rhan, and due to that I wound up losing. XD

• Julia likes this

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

Rhan should be banned from existence. Period. It's really terrible (talking about game design, not about the impact on the game)

#7 Schmiegel

Schmiegel

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yes, Julia. I'm surprised you haven't seen me shambling about in Arkham..  ;)  Of course I'm not the best-looking fellow. You may have mistaken me for something else (in which case, thank you for not dispatching me back to another dimension). 

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

:laughter: Sorry, I thought you were more into Descent (1st and 2nd edition - would like to know your take on Descent coop, actually) / Eldritch Horror these days (but no, I never mistake a guy I have an e-mail correspondance with). Always happy to chat with you, here or in any other forum :)

#9 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Rhan should be banned from existence. Period. It's really terrible (talking about game design, not about the impact on the game)

XD I think that's biggest negative reaction I've seen from you! What not a fan of the look of it? Or just the mechanics?

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Point is that you cannot do anything to control him. It's just a question of Luck. And he's insane in Final Battle, so that the "I'll gear up for war" doesn't help at all. You draw a cultist and bam, +1 doomer. How many cultists are you to draw in one game you ask? Math could be done (but not now, it's really late here), but I'm pretty sure having a game of standard length 15 Mythos, with let's say 3 monster surges and 3 Mythos cards instructing you to spawn extra monsters and 2 a monster appears encounters and not drawing any cultist are really low, especially with all "treat as" in the mix. The doom track speeds up and you die, end of the story. No fun at all. At least the guy had a longish doom track. Nope, they gave him 11 doomers. In a game with Ghroth, it means you have a doom track of 9, shortened by 1 for every cultist you draw. It's a perfect example of bad game design. I'm leading 6-0 against him (defeated the guy twice with Dagon & Hydra, once with Black Goat of the Woods, once with the King in Yellow, once with Tulzscha and once with Ghroth) but every time I felt like I was protected by a gazillion Gods and I won not because I'm good, but because I just got lucky. Never happy to play a Rhan game. Two other AOs come closer to him: Y'golonac (no control on the tomes) and Zhar (no control on doubles), but the first one has a longer doom track (12 against 11 means a lot in Arkham times) plus you can avoid shopping and winning with Blessings and extra clues, and for Zhar you need a new gate to open to trigger its ability, so, it's somehow not that likely to happen during *all* the game (unless you play with everything in). But Rhan... you cannot do anything. Just pray not to draw cultists. As said, no fun.

Edited by Julia, 21 January 2014 - 08:39 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS