Shades of Heresy (Play-by-Post) Ingame

• Please log in to reply
508 replies to this topic

#21 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

After reviewing the files, Cade dropped the exposed papers back on the desk, for anyone to examine them further. He had already gotten the information he desired from them. Was this an assassination, or an investigation? Both, he supposed at an initial thought. At Asterius's suggestion he sat down to answer the question.

"In truth." He began. "I've never dealt with any manner of Psyker or Witch before." He admitted. Having grown up on a Forgeworld, and then going into the Guard, he really hadn't. He'd fought men, Orks and even, on one absolutely nightmarish occasion, his division had been fielded against Tyranids. The thought of those horrifying abominations made his skin positively crawl. The seething mass of bodies. The howls, shrieks and chitters... He snapped out of his memories.

"So I'm afraid I will not be quite as useful in identifying common trends or abilities of these abominations." He stated calmly. "Though from what I do know, I understand they still die like any other man, or woman, as it may be." Even an Ork wouldn't keep going for long if you put a las-shot through its eye socket. He couldn't imagine a Witch would be altogether different. Maybe getting that shot might be a trick, but if it could be done....

#22 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Dammek pulls a chair up to the desk, then lounges in his seat as he surveys the other investigators. He's a little jealous of Dral -- if he is so distraught over being reassigned to a little detective work, he must have had a pretty great gig before this. Personally, Dammek would be a very happy man if he never returned to the 623rd.

He squints his eyes in thought and takes a long drag on his lho-stick before speaking: "I've had some experience with xenos devices, and the powers of these scare witches don't sound like anything I've encountered. Sorry, but I'm drawing a blank on this."

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#23 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

@Dammek:
You are sure you heard about 2 different kind of Xenos, who, if one stands on the others shoulders, looks extremely scary. Or was that just a dream you had...not quite sure...

@Dral:
This myth seems to appear from time to time within different areas of the hive, each time with slight variations, but always about a supernatural cause that creates deaths by pure fear. After the myth had ots peak, the source seems to move on and start at another area. The confirmed death numbers were never high enough to make a big inbestigation worthwhile.
  • Covered in Weasels likes this

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#24 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:39 AM

Dral leans back in his seat to compose his thoughts for a brief moment and then addresses his colleagues “Yes I have heard of this phenomena or myth, call it what you will, although I fear it is nothing we do not already know. Strange deaths occur in an area of the hive apparently caused by shock and fear. Then after a number of deaths whatever is causing it moves on to a different area or lies ‘dormant’ for a while before resurfacing”

Placing his hand on the documents left by the stranger “It appears to me though that we have a number of avenues we could look into.” Dral counts off on his fingers as he continues…

“One. This noble, what was he doing in a lower section of the middle hive? Perhaps if we can trace his movements we may find witnesses or other clues.

Two. If this is some supernatural creature or witch it may have left an echo in the aether when it killed the noble. If we can find the location of where he died I may be able to sense something. Perhaps the location of where his body was found is in a report someplace.

Three and this may be a long shot. Is there any pattern to past killings? Not just with deaths in one area but also as this ‘thing’ moves to different areas of the hive.”

Dral leans forward “What do you think gentlemen, any other options?”

Edited by dava100, 22 January 2014 - 05:49 AM.

Thought begets heresy. Heresy begets retribution.

#25 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:45 AM

@ Investigator Astra - you know some details about the case from your previous work:
The place where the nobles body was found is specified (it has been dropped into the gutter) - the number of other victim is 3 as far as the officials know (3 similar bodies have been found during the last 3 weeks in the gutter). Other cases where the witches might have been involved in different areas, there were never more than 8 victims - and the time during which the mudering occured was always around 2 months.
The first murder in the current area was registered 3 weeks ago.

There has been no information at all about the reason why the noble went there. The Crane-family didnt want to give any information on this.

Edited by GauntZero, 22 January 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#26 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

As he speaks, I make a summary of Dal's information on my slate.

Afterwards, I steeple my fingers in front of me and say:

"Mr. Drakkon... Dral. Thank you for sharing the info you have on the matter."

"Taking into account that we will be working together on this case, I am prepared to consider you as deputies for the duration and share privileged Arbites information."

"As our friend Dral has stated, these... witches... move on after a certain number of targets is reached, their... quota, so to speak. This may have ritual reasons or, as is the case with most serial killers, they may lay low in order to evade attention and apprehension."

"in previous cases involving these killers, there were never more than 8 deaths displaying their M.O, in a two month window."

"Now, I don't know if there is some kind of ritual significance to this number, but I do know that there has already been 3 deaths, in a period of 3 weeks."

"I'm going out on a limb here, But I assume that, if we do not find our target in a week, we will have another death to show for."

"Dral. You show some impressive detective skill there! I didn't know they gave you this kind of training in the AAT. (again, I barely manage not to wince at the mention of the AAT)."

"About your questions:"

I separate my hands and lift one finger:

"My first bet would be that our late mr. Crane was "downgrading", looking for... companionship from some Low Hive dames. This may be, I admit, biased, but it is common enough to be a possibility. There are some charity works done by Uppers on the Low Hive, but it's no so common in the Mids. He might have, of course, some other type of shady interest in the area."

I lift a second finger:

"The victim's body was found in a gutter, clearly dumped. I have the address here. The body is currently in a morgue, for which I may also procure the address. I submit to your expertise on whether to examine the body or the location where it was dumped first."

I lift a third finger:

"As far as I know, no previous investigator has looked for a geographical pattern to the killings. I will pull this information to my data slate, and you may look for any kind of... I don't know, mystical pattern to the locations.

After answering Dal's questions, I lift a fourth finger.

"Lastly, I believe we should pay our respects to the family. They might not have divulged information to the Magistratum, but people usually are a lot more forthcoming when talking to the Adeptus Arbites, if you know what I'm sayin'.

I wink conspirationally.

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

#27 ColArana

ColArana

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

With regards to general knowledge on what they were up against, it seemed Cade was a touch out of the loop. Truly he wasn't entirely sure of the workings of Hive Systems, and so he listened intently to what Asterius had to say, regarding the case. Of the four options, Cade pondered each. If the first suggestion-- that the noble was looking for "companionship" were true, then the case could become quite clearcut with the right leads. Something he'd have to voice once he had pondered all the details. 

The gutter though... Cade voiced his thoughts on that immediately.

"If the gutter was where the victim was merely dumped, then we may be at a dead end investigating there. The culprit would hardly be the only one to frequent that area, and it's likely that if the culprit was intelligent they would have left him far from the scene of the crime." Cade proposed, voicing his disagreement with that particular assessment. 

While the third point was obviously directed to Dral, the final point seemed to have promise, and Cade gave a quiet nod as it was brought up. "The family would certainly have more information on why he may have disappeared. That would seem to be the most clear course of action." Cade conceded.

#28 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Dammek considers Asterius and Cade's points, then voices his own opinion:

"I've gotta agree with Cade, the gutter doesn't seem like the best place to search first. Interviewing the noble family seems like a good starting point. I do think we should pay the gutters a visit though -- dregs and street people notice a lot of strange happenings at night, and the killers could have accidentally left some of their belongings at the dumping ground. My old buddy Dirk lost his hab-block keys that way once... but that's a whole different story.

"If we want to split up and chase two leads at once, I'll go to case the dumping ground or examine the body. I've spent a lot of time on the streets and may pick up some details the investigators missed. I also have some experience with battlefield medicine; it's no medicae doctorate, but I'd still like to check out the stiff myself and see what I can find.

"So, what all do you guys think? Split up or stick together?" With this last remark, Dammek leans foreward slightly and sweeps his gaze across the other investigators, one eyebrow raised inquisitively.

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#29 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:24 AM

“I agree Cade, the body dump location may be a dead end but I would still like to check it out and the same for the body of this young noble. Talking to his family is certainly something we should do as well." 

Dral looks to Asterius “If I may review the data slate for the information on the previous murders? And I am not looking for ‘mystical’ significance merely to see if there is a pattern, although who knows…”

Taking the data slate Dral looks over the data and considers the information on the other victims, dates and locations to see if there is any discernible pattern.

[Logic 36; rolled 43 – failed by 1 degree]

Edited by dava100, 23 January 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#30 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:23 AM

“I agree Cade, the body dump location may be a dead end but I would still like to check it out and the same for the body of this young noble. Talking to his family is certainly something we should do as well." 

Dral looks to Asterius “If I may review the data slate for the information on the previous murders? And I am not looking for ‘mystical’ significance merely to see if there is a pattern, although who knows…”

Taking the data slate Dral looks over the data and considers the information on the other victims, dates and locations to see if there is any discernible pattern.

[Logic 36; rolled 43 – failed by 1 degree]

You succeeded with 1 DoS (the test difficulty is +10):

Going into some details, you can see that it is indeed not 2 months during which the victims have been found, but exactly 8 weeks.
The victims did not have been hidden or tried to conceal. Whoever put them in their places either wanted them to be found or just didnt care if they were found. The places where the victims were found in different regions of the area.
The body of the noble seems to have been tormented before his death - but this was not his cause of death (painful, but non-lethal) - this is differing from the other victims.

#31 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

I wait for every member of the group to voice their opinions, nodding as each of them make their remark, and adding some notes to my slate, while it uploads the data on the cases from the Noosphere [See note on the Play by Post topic].

After Dral makes his point, I hand him the slate, with the data on the screen, and say, giving Dral time to analyze the information:

"Trooper Cade, Dammek."

"I agree with you assessment of the situation, and believe that both talking to the family and snapping some finger in the Unders may give us useful information."

"However, I only want to talk to the Cranes when we have some larger picture of the case, so that we may notice any... inconsistencies in their answers. And none of us know precisely how Dral's... talents work. So..."

I turn to Dral.

"Dral, if you believe you may offer us some insight unavailable by more... mundane ways, by all means, we'll follow your lead."

Edited by svstrauser, 23 January 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#32 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Still reading through the case files on the data slate Dral speaks up "Yeah, I suppose it would be of use for you to know what I bring to the table. I am a Telepath, I can read peoples thoughts and manipulate minds. No doubt that will come in use when speaking to those unwilling to answer our questions."

Dral looks up and regards each of those around the table as he continues to speak "Be aware though gentlemen that my powers should not be used frivolously as there are potential dangers."

Dral stands and begins to pace, his hands clasped behind his back.

"Now as to these other case files, there are two things that are apparent to me although I do not have answers at this stage, I will think on those further. These murders always happen over exactly 8 weeks and not two months, there is a slight difference that could be of significance. Also this young noble is the only victim to have other injuries, perhaps he was able to resist for a while or these witches had some other reason for inflicting torture upon him. He could have even picked up the injuries prior to meeting his demise and it is a red herring."

"I suggest we start by viewing the young mans body and have a look around where it was dumped."

Edited by dava100, 23 January 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#33 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

My face go blank as Dral describes his abilities, as I attempt to hide the disgust inherited by years of Ministorum conditioning.

"I see."

"If there are risks to the use of your abilities, avoid using them when we go visit the Cranes, I don't want to have to handle any... incidents in the company of nobles."

I lift my left eyebrow, and act slightly unsettling with the bionic eye.

"And nothing personal, but I believe I do not have to tell you to not get into our heads."

I pause for a second and continue.

"As Dral confirmed, we have less than a week before those Witches kill again, and I would very much like to get to them before they get to any other civilians."

"We will start by going to the precinct to have a look at the body."

I get up, retrieve my shotgun and helmet and say:

"Dral, we will need to get you some civilian clothes if you are to join us to the Unders. Dammek (I give him another scowl, as I point at his collar), we will need something to cover this."

"Cade, we will need something to cover this Lasgun of yours. Also, if you don't mind, I'm making you responsible for Dral's security."

I give him a meaningful look.

"Gents, if you're ready, let's move."

Edited by svstrauser, 23 January 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#34 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

After you left your new "office", you found out that the fastest route to the precinct was by train.

It took you about half a day to drive down into the lower middle hive where the most recent murders took place.

When you arrive at your final destination, you get of the train and stand at a train station. It is already evening and the streets around you are emptied. It seems like the people try to avoid going out after daytime.

As this is lower in the hive, daytime can only be differed from nighttime by a kind of artifical "sun" that spends light during daytime. That huge lightsource is dimmed down at the moment and about to fade.

On a small map at the train station you can see some locations of the precinct:

- Market place

- local temple of the emperor

- Hab Block A to G

- Hostel "Emperors Embrace"

- Hostel "Sweet Home"

- Arughs Shop

- Tavern "Salty Laughter"

- The Forgery

- local magistratum station

- you also can visit the Gutters of course...

#35 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

We need to give the market a quick visit, as we have to buy something to cover Dammek's collar.

Even with the authority behind an Investigator's badge, his collar would raise all kind of unwanted questions.

#36 dava100

dava100

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

Assuming I have brought my equipment with me I will get changed in the office before we leave, putting on neat and clean clothes although they are nothing fancy. On my back is a heavy cloak and on my belt a las pistol and a scanning tool, my cloak somewhat concealing them. A knife is secreted in my boot.

On the train journey Dral is sullen and quiet.

Edited by dava100, 23 January 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#37 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

We need to give the market a quick visit, as we have to buy something to cover Dammek's collar.

Even with the authority behind an Investigator's badge, his collar would raise all kind of unwanted questions.

The market seems to be closed at this time of the day. It will re-open at "sun"rise.

#38 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Some questions:

- What is Arughs Shop?
- What is The Forgery?
- Which is the better hostel, "Emperors Embrace" or "Sweet Home"?

And do I know the answer to any of those questions?

#39 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Some questions:

- What is Arughs Shop?
- What is The Forgery?
- Which is the better hostel, "Emperors Embrace" or "Sweet Home"?

And do I know the answer to any of those questions?

At the moment, you just know whats written on the map. So no details so far.

#40 svstrauser

svstrauser

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Well, it's onward to the Magistratum, then!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS