65 replies to this topic

#41 Croonos

Croonos

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:27 AM

Finally The Firelands is available: 

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4671

Sadly this time they gave less previews than always... And where are the rules?

#42 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hurray!!!    I am stopping on my way home from work today and picking it up, as I have found a hobby store that has it in stock.

Joy!

• talismanisland likes this

#43 Bolithio

Bolithio

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Played it last night twice. Its fun! All the characters are fun to play and the card interactions are fun too. Dangerous! [We played it with just the vanilla cards so we could see most of the new cards)

#44 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

I like my cards dipped in chocolate! Especially those that are on fire.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#45 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

We have played a few games with it now, it seems to dilute well for us.  I thought the Wildlander was going to be OP, but it really wasn't the case.  I have to admit the terrain mechanic has really taken off in our group, but the burning of items can really change the course of the game!

A great addition.  I imagine it would be pretty hard with less expansions in play (we play all except Dragons)!

#46 arolig

arolig

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

I was gonna gather 3-4 ppl to play. But it ended with just me and one friend showing up.
But boy what a ride we had.

Setup: Core board, Reaper, Firelands +spells from dungeon. ( Keept my dungeon and city out of it to test firelands)

We decided to start off with Warlord and Djinn Blooded, becouse we liked model design. No randomizing.

First card we draw is IFRIT SULTAN! The guy on the box. He makes you place firelands tokens mostly every round if you are in the same region as him. So in few rounds it's a race to get to the safe middle region. In a while of spellcyceling my Djinn bloded manages to take out the sultan with a Fireball. But boy was it hard just to stay alive, with the city turning to ruins.

Yes, this is the best Talisman expansion, IF you are tired of the core way to play.
Better than Reaper overall? To early to say for me, but definatly a whole new game in all ways.

After a while my Djinn blooded dies and I just go all out with Dervish(starting on Oasis I catch up to the Warlord that made the inner region :)

But, Nothing is safe, with 1-2 lives left we rush in to the inner reigion as crazy, the adventure deck keeps tossing Talismans at us, and with 7 in str/craft we just rush in and hope for good rolls. After some time I make it trough with Str 8, 1 life and 2 fate when I dice with death. The other player died of command spell when he was on vamp tower.

If we had not made crown we might as well just start a whole new game, with about 20 fireland tokens in the outer region. :D

Fun times, can't wait to play again.

Edited by arolig, 23 March 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#47 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Drawing the Ifrit Sultan in the first part of the game is a blast. When this happened, we either fled to corner Regions or strived to survive on the main board, while trying to find way to destroy or kill the Sultan.

In such a harsh environment, even the usually hostile characters tend to gang up and concentrate on taking out the global Ifrit menace. This expansion often gives you the genuine feeling of an invasion going on.

Edited by The_Warlock, 22 March 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#48 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

My problem right now is I am not seeing any of the Firelands cards coming into play. I have all the expansions in play and I am seriously considering buying another copy to mix in some of the cards from the set. I don't need the whole set but having some of the cards that add fire tokens or change land might be nice.

#49 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

My problem right now is I am not seeing any of the Firelands cards coming into play. I have all the expansions in play and I am seriously considering buying another copy to mix in some of the cards from the set. I don't need the whole set but having some of the cards that add fire tokens or change land might be nice.

I was thinking the same just take all the Ifrits and Ifrit cards keep the sultana and sultan out of it, you only need 1 of each of them.

Q: Am I right in thinking that the Ifrit Shapeshifter can, in effect end up taking all the fate counters thus stopping players from gaining any? now two of them on the table at one time OUCH!! this of course without that new ending though.

#50 Bolithio

Bolithio

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Our group played with everything for a while, but we enjoy the game more by creating new decks for every game. It takes a little time to break down the decks, but if you play with only 1 or 2 expansions, I find you get much more of the flavor of the given sets.

#51 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:17 AM

The one problem I have with the Firelands Rulesheet, is that if there are no Terrain Cards left of a certain type, a player has to move a Terrain Card of that type that is already on the board to the space. This is contrary to the Limited Resource rule from the core rulebook. Therefore I have amended the rule as follows:

"If an effect causes a player to place a Terrain Card on a space and there are no cards of the required type left in the Terrain deck, the effect of placing the Terrain Card is ignored."

This is now in accordance with the Limited Resource rule!

Ell.

#52 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

I only play with 1 or 2 small-box expansions at a time.

#53 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I only play with 1 or 2 small-box expansions at a time.

Exactly.

Buying one more set because you want to see more cards from Firelands? That's an option, but it surprises me that the first idea that comes to contrast dilution is to ADD cards.

Remove some of the older expansions you should be familiar with. Play with only 2-3 sets at a time. Try different combinations. The sooner you'll start doing this, the sooner your complaints will cease and the sooner you'll be enjoying this game more than you ever did before.

Edited by The_Warlock, 30 March 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#54 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

The_Warlock is right that ADDING cards is a bit of an odd way to combat dilution, but can see the thinking behind it. I know of some people that have added "doubles" of Enemies and Spells etc to help spice the game up a bit more.

I think separating sets is the way to go when playing with an expansion that introduces a certain theme. I'd probably suggest keeping the Reaper Adventure cards in with the base set, but sans Grim.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#55 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:21 AM

The_Warlock is right that ADDING cards is a bit of an odd way to combat dilution, but can see the thinking behind it. I know of some people that have added "doubles" of Enemies and Spells etc to help spice the game up a bit more.

I think separating sets is the way to go when playing with an expansion that introduces a certain theme. I'd probably suggest keeping the Reaper Adventure cards in with the base set, but sans Grim.

Many years ago I used to play with 3 additional Dragons, one additional Giant and 8 extra Bags of Gold, because I thought the base game + Reaper lacked gold and big Strength Enemies. However, those were times when a 4+ player game often required to shuffle the discard pile and form a new Adventure deck at a certain point.

I stopped doing this as soon as the Adventure deck became so big that you cannot hope to run through it in a single game. Some time later I stopped playing with all sets, because I realised the setup was taking too long, if compared to how much the different components were exploited. Reducing the number of Adventure cards also brought out the flavour and theme of each expansion. Now I cannot play with all sets, unless it is a day-long 6-player game planned to be "Talisman all-in"; it seems a waste of time and theme, if compared with what I get when playing with only certain sets at a time.

Edited by The_Warlock, 31 March 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#56 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:10 AM

I can certainly see the logic in limiting sets from a thematic point of view, but for me, the joy of Talisman is the "everything including the kitchen sick approach".  I love the chaos!

Also, the symbols depicting the various sets are so tiny, I'd go blind trying to separate the cards after each game. 

• 0beron likes this

#57 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

A friend of mine has duplicates of a few expansions! And he adds them to his deck.

If I find the Firelands to be awesome and too hard to find in my deck I would consider an other expansion to add to the deck.

I love a large deck and don't mind missing a strong theme. I have become so satisfied with 4th Revised it has finally surpassed 2nd edition in over all game play and fun. Tho I still think 2nd Edition City is my favorite all time expansion. But if there is a certain game play that is just awesome and don't want it diluted, I would prefer another set of it added rather than thin out other stuff.

So far this has not been the case, as I said Talisman 4th revised is awesome. And I have no duplicates. But I have only played 1 game with Firelands.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#58 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I am a huge fan of a huge deck. Always have been and probably always will be.

However, since The Firelands came out I have been a little more open to playing thematic games and after a few try outs can safely say it's worth playing with some expansions removed once in a while. This may be because The Firelands is so well done that one just yearns to dive right into into an "Arabian Knights" adventure (I know I do) and once you do so you are almost left feeling let down if you don't get enough of it....it's a drug! 

I must say, I have never felt that way until this new expansion was released - The Firelands has burned itself indelibly onto my psyche :D  

Edited by adjogi, 31 March 2014 - 07:00 PM.

• DomaGB likes this

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

http://www.njtalisma...onstersandmagic

#59 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

For myself and our group we like the humungous deck. The way I see it, the Firelands has added a whole bunch of mechanics and things that get diluted in the humungous deck though because these ideas are only now being implemented after 7 expansions. The reaper and blood moon expansions added a mechanic that is seen on the board and there is always a chance of it occurring; a chance every turn. The only cards we are looking to add from Firelands are some of the terrain changers, burn/fireproof cards and cards that utilize fire tokens. Our group plays with all expansions(including timescape now) every time, and we use a D10 system that introduces all mechanics into the game frequently so we think it is reasonable to add some fire land cards to the deck to increase the odds of encountering these. It is obvious each expansion is thought up as an after-thought with game altering mechanics that are completely new and not integrated but merely added to the fray. This after-thought construction is one reason why there are so many loopholes and nightmares for rules lawyer types IMO.

Theme really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I don't care if it is a strength 3 Ice Girl, Pumpkin Head or Djinn; it is just a Strength 3 enemy. Let me kill it so I can move on. This is Talisman and theme is not to be expected. I play other games for Theme, this is the everything-fantasy stirred into a pot and simmered for 6 hours game.

Separating the cards would take a fair bit of work, and I agree with Warlock that this game does take a long time to set up....and even longer to put away. I don't have the patience to separate out each expansion and would probably find those cards get lumped together since they would be separated all the time.

When it comes to theme, my fantasy and 40K armies are very much theme based. My blood bowl teams are themed around a central idea and my War machine faction is themed. I have themed Mordheim war bands, Necromunda war bands and Lord of the Rings (army). My roleplaying characters are usually themed, not always. The other 200 or so board games I have are themed for the most part....Talisman is the one game that really isn't and it sees the most play in our group and at my table.

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba, 01 April 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#60 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

Like a large deck, with all expansions used. Check.

Would go blind separating the deck by the tiny expansion symbols. Check.

Its a no-brainer to me, but on the serious side, what I did upon acquiring the Firelands was:

take the 81 cards and lay them out in a 9 X 9 grid. Then I shuffled the rest of the large deck (no small task, obviously) and laid them out in the grid, over the previous 81 cards. I think thats about 480 some cards, right?

The 81 "small decks" are taken as is, and restacked into the new one huge, large deck. Still with me?

Thus the approximate 560 some cards will have a Firelands card about 1 every 7 cards.

Obviously cumbersome and long, at least on the first time you implement. I won't be doing this every time I play, but now the cards are about equally distributed in the deck. Even in a 2 player game, such as I only play, you will still encounter fireland cards fairly steadily. 

Edited by 0beron, 01 April 2014 - 08:24 PM.

• DomaGB likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS