Photo

Classifying Expansions and future prospects.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

So, in some ways I 'm lucky having only 1 player, because... less people to agree with! But I guess we are both compleatists , our selves, since we want to own and play it all.  By the way we are 58 and 56 years old.

We only play about once a month on average, though if don't play in a month, we may double down and play longer/more on an occasion. 

Because Dragons is *not* perfect, we do some house rules which I've mentioned many times; mostly to delay the scales - to get more of other things going on in the game.

I do find that the flavor of Dragons is intense and doesn't seem to go well if an alt ending seems contrary; ie; after foraging through the Dragon Realm/Inner region, you finally reach the CoC and find... the Demon Lord... or the Eagle Kind, or...

But we mostly don't mind, because in our two player games it is not unusual for us to call it because one of us just dies completely before either of us reach the Crown.  

It is more about the tapestry or "story" of the particular game, rather than the competition. I think we're not as goal oriented in the playing, as most players may be.

Someone else indicated that the immense Adventure deck, of all expansions, limits a player's ability to encounter every card. Some cards may never be encountered if one uses the entire Adventure deck from all sets.

I guess I think that is a concern, but I would think that the more players in a single game means more cards will be ultimately played, encountered. In our 2 player games I don't feel that we lack the potential experience. One doesn't get to encounter every possible happening in real life either.

Decks that are tailored for a game, or to exclude cards / themes can also mean that the flavor of the game may be too specific. The world is very Icy. Or the world is very Haunted. 

So for me, I like the world to have a bit of everything.

#22 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

I have an odd taste for horror. I like a good Halloween game, but don't want it all year round. I like monster movies, but don't like gory movies. Classic horror is my taste.

Everyone and their brother seems to like and promote Arkham Horror. I think I played it once, and like the general play style, but I dislike Lovecraft. I am glad my friends don't have it, it was thru a friend of a friend when I played it. He also introduced Tomb the board game to us, and we loved that! 2 of us have copies.

Today's game went well, and some of the Bloodmoon cards came out. Some seemed to Halloweenish for me, but not when that season comes. Gonna pull more out.

I also like a well flavored Adventure deck in 95% of my sittings, so love a great mixture!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#23 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Well I'm more about the mixture, as you say. I've heard of Tomb. I probably would play most horror themed games (if I had time, etc.) as I do like horror a lot. But more old school. Not enthused with Lovecraft either; it's ok.

We used to have a game called Chill, or maybe Chiller. There were tiles that laid out an estate and a number lovecraft type horror/monsters, as I recall. But for years we didn't game at all and these games sat in our basement and go a little moldy or bad smelling at any rate, so we had to dump them.

For *some* reason the Talisman 2nd edition was spared this fate, however I cannot locate it in the house. Someone did some rearrangements and it's missing from where I last saw it, a year or so ago.

** I do feel card integration is one of the areas needing special attention in the game. I've gone to great lengths to find ways to shuffle the cards because I have found that with each new set offering cards to the main Adventure deck, they tend to stick closer to each other with regular shuffling; so you encounter the Vampire Prince, All Hallow's Eve and the Gypsy Caravan all in a row, for example.

I may go to the big box/bag paradigm; throw ALL cards in some bag or box with space and have players draw from there (without looking of course).

This would seem to be a good way to be random. Only bad luck (heheheheh) would make you draw 'like' cards in a clump, or we hope!

But what I actually do, (here comes the OCD part of me) is after some general shuffling I create a grid, 6 by 6, 8 by 8, whatever and just deal cards out into these mini-packs.  I watch the symbols denoting which sets, or mostly know which cards are in which sets and I'll re-deal on the spot, so that 2 or more of any set does not fall on top of each other in the packlets. Obviously any pack is going to have a number of same-set cards but it does seem to help 'separate' the cards.

Even after several years, I note that previous sets; Frost March, etc. the cards are still sorta falling into their native sets.

... Deal with it! (we do)

#24 MisterBean

MisterBean

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:41 AM

I am very interested in an expansion with unique quests for each character that allows you to learn new abilities (and perhaps upgrade current ones). However, it would be very difficult to balance the quests and special abilities when comparing to other characters.

#25 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

I am very interested in an expansion with unique quests for each character that allows you to learn new abilities (and perhaps upgrade current ones). However, it would be very difficult to balance the quests and special abilities when comparing to other characters.

Yes, this.  Another way to expand the game is to give opportunities to grow skills or nuance or whatever.  A few years ago I speculated that maybe characters could "own" homes, property and these could store all the other items, or gold that you may not have enough mules, etc. to carry.  Owning property in Talisman could allow other things, having a family. Who doesn't want Jr or Great Aunt Haggatha to come and save the day {The Cavalry has arrived!}

But a way of earning other skills does have promise. This would be an extension of Quest REwards which do offer extra life, fate, spells, etc.

#26 Crag78

Crag78

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

How about small decks of "adventure" cards specific to a space as if you were questing there.For example The Graveyard space, instead of doing the instruction's space you're drawing a certain number of cards from the Graveyard deck depending on the difficulty of the task.1 for easy quest, 3 for medium and 5 for hard.Put the cards face down and deal 1 card per turn.Of course
those decks would be harder than the main adventure deck.So the more difficult is the task, the bigger is the reward.They could do this for many spaces like the Graveyard, Vampire's Tower, Ruins,Hidden Valley, etc.

#27 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Exactly.  that's the potential offered by the small POD expansions.

Fully on board with that potential

#28 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

The one thing I remember reading, is that in the GW universe, the entire fantasy world is a world locked away from the 40K universe. Talisman is just a board game of the GW universe. They exist at the same time in different portals. In this respect we definitely need Times cape! I am all for adding this expansion to the mix. We would need some Slaan! :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS