Do you use miniatures in your RPing?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Stickyman

Stickyman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

I don't use the stand-ups: too difficult to read in dim lighting. We have used some minis from any old system but again I can't always quickly see who is who so I have collected some nice old chess pieces, and turned some pieces of my own. These are larger: about the size of a traditional king in chess set and much less fiddly to move  about. They are in clear wood dyed colours for the players and black for chaos cultists etc, I was inspired by the Viking Chess Set found in the Scottish islands in the 1920s or 30s. I much prefer a more symbolic depiction that allows for instant recognition of each player s piece and leaves the rest up to your imagination. I don't play chess but both appreciate the style dictated by wood turning or simple carving, the feel of quality hard wood, the aged patination hinting of ancient battles fought long into the evening, and the look when the two sides engage. For the same reason I have never really liked the  artwork used by fantasy rpg games. I would rather see images that look like they were drawn or sculpted by an ancient culture, it just gives a more authentic feel for me. I even prefer the old black and white illustrations in the original DMG to the current garish 'realistic' vogue. I think I am alone on this though! But wouldn't it be cool to represent your warrior with a replica of a 1200 year old swordsman figurine from Gaul!

Edited by Stickyman, 18 July 2014 - 10:33 AM.

• Emirikol and k7e9 like this

#22 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I even prefer the old black and white illustrations in the original DMG to the current garish 'realistic' vogue. I think I am alone on this though! But wouldn't it be cool to represent your warrior with a replica of a 1200 year old swordsman figurine from Gaul!

It is like a Transformers movie when they do do much with the "realism."  There is so much going on in a scene that you have absolutely no idea what's going on.  It's looking lying face up on a freeway - hard to tell if something is exciting or just a bunch of visual noise in front of our faces.

People sometimes complain about the old b/w artwork, but it gets the point across faster and more clearly than pix with too much going on sometimes.  It is the Occam's Razor of artwork

jh

..another movie with yet even more mechanical monsters is called a cliche'..

Edited by Emirikol, 18 July 2014 - 10:41 AM.

• Stickyman likes this

#23 Stickyman

Stickyman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

I have posted some images on RPGeek in the creative gallery for WHFRPG of my home made/brew game pieces. When i have worked it out will try and create a link or post pictures here. Its not very simple to do so! As you will see they are very sculptural; like kind of mini stone henges and i often find the players just enjoying handling or arranging them. They are abstract so can be used to represent furniture, architecture or whatever works. My next project is to make an eaqually stylised board for them to stand on. It won't be as grand but think of thart fantastic map table in Game of Thrones. Enjoy.

Oh...just had a look and they have been rejected! I'll take some more pics again tomorrow when its light.

Right...a day late and etc etc and they are now pending authorisation. Should be up soon.

Still waiting...maybe they don 't like them?!

Here they are:

http://rpggeek.com/i...lay-3rd-edition

Edited by Stickyman, 22 July 2014 - 12:48 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS