How would you rank the heroes?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Ozil23

Ozil23

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Ok so I haven't seen a hero ranking in a while, so what do you guys think are the best and worst heroes in the game? You could include the new heroes Eomer and Grima if you would like.

#2 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Best: Beregond

Worst: Spirit Pippin

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 17 January 2014 - 09:16 PM.

• camacazio likes this

#3 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Here is an epic thread discussing just this.

The Hero Championship

As for my current picks, I will have to agree with Dain that Spirit Pippin is at the bottom of the list.  For best hmm... I'm gonna define 'best' as the hero I enjoy playing with most.  Legolas gets my vote.

• ghan-buri-ghan and chuckles like this

#4 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

I wouldn't call Beregond the best overall hero, but certainly the best defender. The only characters that give him much competition are Denethor (1 less defense, 1 less health, no sentinel, no free/cheaper armor) and Beorn (hard to compare since Beorn can block multiple times per round without any outside readying effects and has a huge hit point pool, but he has low defense and can't hold any attachments to boost it or even receive a boost from Arwen or be healed. Beorn also has the ability to attack for 5 after all of that defending).

As for all-around best (as in most useful in the greatest number of decks) it's hard to compete with Spirit Glorfindel, even if he requires a special attachment to not be annoyingly prohibitive. Elrond is pretty darn good too - especially with Vilya and some readying effects - but his high threat is a hindrence. You could also go with the hero you enjoy using the most, like GrandSpleen did, but that's far more subjective. I too love Legolas. I also really like Dunhere, now that we have Spear of the Mark. Frodo is nice since he can take an undefended attack or two during the game without much difficulty, which is really useful before you can get an ally army built or get your attachments loaded up. I also really enjoy Prince Imrahil's readying effect. See how subjective this is? :P

I would agree with Spirit Pippin probably be the worst, or least definitely in the lower 3. Half of his ability works against the general strategy of hobbits since he raises his threat to do it. This wouldn't be a huge deal, but it requires you to raise your threat by 3. If it only raised your threat by 1, it would certainly be manageable, but 3 threat is very hard to deal with when used liberally.

I would say the Faramir hero is in a similar boat. His ability works well with is theme of keeping enemies in the staging area with traps and such, but his high starting threat makes it difficult to keep enemies from engaging unless you have have a Ranger Spikes every turn. At least Faramir DOES have the traps and at least his high threat comes with decent stats to make up for it. After using Pippen's ability twice, you'll get to the point where it would have been better to have Faramir instead... not that Faramir can be a drop-in replacement for a spirit sphere hobbit, but you get my point.

I don't really like picking favorites (or least favorites) because I like to try to experiment with lots of decks (or as many as time allows) and not just stick to favorite heroes and such. It's also pretty pointless since there are numerous effective strategies and synergies that work well, so comparing heroes can often be like comparing full strategies since the hero may only be useful for that strategy/synergy and (mostly) useless outside of it. Dain Ironfoot is a good example. Unless you're piling up dwarves everywhere, he doesn't bring a whole lot to the table that you can't find elsewhere.

Edited by joezim007, 17 January 2014 - 11:10 PM.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#5 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

i was, in my original post, going to write a long spiel about best versus favorite versus most used hero but then decided against it. ;)

i'd not say Beregond is the best overall/well-rounded hero in the game, but he's a staple for me and i just love giving him the gondorian shield.

defending is one of the most tense moments of the game (that, and flipping encounter cards) and, with beregond on the table, i always feel a bit less apprehensive and, most importantly, more bad ass. :)

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 18 January 2014 - 12:44 AM.

• danpoage likes this

#6 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

Favourite hero: Dunhere
Best Siege-quest hero: Beregond
Best Battle-quest hero: Faramir (I dont understand, why you hate him. In battle he is the best quester. Dont use his attack for fight. He is battle quester. )
Best normal-quest hero: Eowyn. Just send her questing every turn. End of the story.
Best overall hero: if you want broken heroes, then Boromir(TDM) and Glorfindel(FoS). But except them, very good hero is Legolas. But if you build good deck around Hama or Prince Imrahil they are awesome. For some quests Gimli is awesome. It depends on many things.

#7 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

I didn't say I didnt like Faramir, I was just noting that he has flaws because his intended strategy is a bit difficult to pull off thanks to his high threat. Also Faramir's battle questing ability is relative to the number of enemies in the staging area, which you can help along with Ranger Spikes and by playing multiplayer, but if you're playing solo and you never pull those Ranger Spikes, he'll rarely break 3 attack and can often just have 2.

Once again, I'm not hating on him. Just saying you have to try to make him good, because gr isn't automatically good.
  • Dain Ironfoot likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#8 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hard for me to pick a Best hero; Legolas, Elrond, Glorfindel, Celeborn?, Dain, Sam, Boromir, Aragorn, Eowyn... the list goes on... and if its a battle/siege quest then Beorn & Beregond are right up there!

Worst Hero: Spirit Pippin.

Edited by chuckles, 18 January 2014 - 02:06 PM.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#9 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

I think there aren't powered heroes, so there isn't any best hero. Each hero is better or not depening of decks and quests.

But sure, the worst hero: Spirit Pippin :wacko:

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#10 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Favourite hero: Theoden 

Least favourite: fatty bolger

Why does everyone hate pippin? He is not that bad at all

Demoncow: He who has become a marauder.

#11 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

As everyone else said, best really is subjective. If you hold a gun to my head, though, I'd have to say Spirit Glorfindel is the closest thing to the best hero.

Worst: Spirit Pippin

Edited by Raven1015, 18 January 2014 - 08:16 PM.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#12 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Favourite hero: Theoden 

Least favourite: fatty bolger

Why does everyone hate pippin? He is not that bad at all

Spirit Pippin just isn't all that playable; to make him so, I'd

- Make it an action, not a response (so you can trigger the ability any time, i.e., after engagement checks are completed)
- Prevent the enemy from engaging every player (as it is, which ever enemy Pippin bounces back, the other players would have to make an engagement check against that enemy - this is the most damning to me)
- Lower the threat cost (3 is just waaay too much)
- Remove the restriction to all-Hobbit decks (also limits his usefulness, as he goes against the abilities of the other Hobbit heroes).
- not have Lore Pippin be so awesome. :)

I could go on and on, but he's a niche hero, at best, and there are better ways to do what his ability does already.

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 18 January 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#13 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

I agree his ability totaly sucks i have never used it but when im looking through my spirit heroes thinking hmm good questing i obviouly pick eowyn but then. There are 3 spirit heroes(in my card pool) with 2 questing nori caladra and pippin so i normally choose pippin because of the six threat

Demoncow: He who has become a marauder.

#14 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

I believe that when you all talk about the best hero you live Dain out of it right ? I mean a great Glorfindel deck is way less powerful than a great Dain deck and dont talk about 2,3 or 4 decks build around Dain vs 2,3 or 4 decks build around Glorfindel there is no point

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#15 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

I think Dunhere is still my fav hero

Denathor is still a winner, I mainly play solo and his ability to see the coming card as well as defend well can make the hardest quests easy.

Bilbo is amazingly strong

I haven't played much recently.. I am only just getting back into it and have started at the beginning to get into the flow.. so I have not much experience with the cards beyond DarrowDelf.

Dain that Spirit Pippin is at the bottom of the list. 

How can Dain be one of the worst?

Edited by booored, 19 January 2014 - 05:48 PM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#16 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

I think you should reread what I wrote :)

#17 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

I think you should reread what I wrote :)

Yea, he was agreeing with the person whose forum name is Dain.

#18 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

I believe that when you all talk about the best hero you live Dain out of it right ? I mean a great Glorfindel deck is way less powerful than a great Dain deck and dont talk about 2,3 or 4 decks build around Dain vs 2,3 or 4 decks build around Glorfindel there is no point

Dain is indeed super powerful and a strong Dwarf deck is nearly without match. But there's many ways to measure "best", which is what makes it so difficult. The reason why I personally gave Glorfindel the nod over Dain, for example, is because he is just so flexible. He can fit into a million different decks and play a key role in all of them, whereas Dain is more restricted (to Dwarf decks, basically).

• chuckles likes this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#19 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

That's true. Pippin is not too bad considering his low starting threat. His ability is helpful to cover the biggest weakness of hobbit decks, which is when a low threat enemy shows up and tries to tear your fellowship apart. My only criticism is that they shouldn't have limited his ability to all hobbit decks, so you could combo Pippin with Dunhere.

In comparism Faramir is possibly worse than Pippin. His stats are average, and his starting threat is simply to high and it contradicts his ability. Not sure why I shouls choose Faramir over Aragorn, Glorfindel or Elrond. Hell, even the nerfed Beravor is better than him!

Best heroes: Glorfindel (spirit), Theodred, Dain, Beregond, Frodo. The first three can be used in every scenario, while the latter two (especially Beregond) are not as flexible. Beregond is, however, top notch in the defensive section. Frodo is simply a gamesaver.

#20 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

STOP IT, STOP, STOP HATING MY FARAMIR :D MY EARS! They cry :D
It is like this: If the current quest is battle: While Faramir is commited to a quest, each enemy has -1 threat, and it can even go under 0. And he has also boosted attack, and he is ranged and lore with good attack. And he is Ranger.

The hero I really dislike is Fatty Bolger. He is limited to enemies and he must exhaust for that action. I tried him so many times, but he is useless. Another hero I dont like is Gloin. Bad stats and bad sphere. 1 defense is really weak and letting attacks undefended is too risky nowadays, and leadership has better ways of resource making.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS