Control and Capturing ?s

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

OK so we were playing last night and we have a few questions that might have been answered before so I would appreciate any help.

I play Join Me! against a non-unique character unit that was committed to the Light Side. When they move to my side are then committed to the Dark side? What would happen to any enhancements that would be on them?

ffg_join-me-balance-of-the-force-94-5.pnffg_daughters-of-allya-assault-on-echo-b

Another question had to do with "light" and "dark" cards. My opponent stole my resource enhancement, and then I wanted to steal it back, but because it was a "dark" card we didn't know if I could target it since my card targeted "light" cards. (I can't remember the card that I wanted to steal it back with, I am at work, when I get home I will edit this post).

ffg_smugglers-run-edge-of-darkness-74-5.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Return the LS commitment card to the LS supply. All enhancements leave as is. 

Smugglers Run says enemy card not LS or DS. The enhancement that was stolen by your opponent while he controls it is an enemy card and therefore eligible to be stolen back. 

#3 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Smugglers Run says enemy card not LS or DS. The enhancement that was stolen by your opponent while he controls it is an enemy card and therefore eligible to be stolen back. 

Correct, that is not the card in reference. I will post it when I get home from work.

But if a card targets a "light" card (one with blue backing), and the smugglers run card takes a "dark" card (one with red backing), does that card become a "light" card?

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#4 Caal-FR

Caal-FR

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Where is the rule regarding enhancement leaving play when an enemy takes control of the enhanced card?

#5 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

He meant the enhancements stay attached to the card (ie leave them as is).

#6 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

Btw, my call on LS vs DS would be that the component section of the rules define dark side cards and light side cards by their card backs, and that therefore a LS card stays as a LS card even if it's been captured. (But that's yet not been confirmed by FFG, though the question's now been submitted.)

Edited by PBrennan, 18 January 2014 - 12:35 AM.

#7 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

The question was not towards a card reading, like I thought while at work, but the rules themselves on capturing. When my opponent captures a DS enhancement (one that generates a resource) and the DS tries to use "Utinni!" to capture it, can it? The rules state that only LS cards can be captured. So like PBrennan states, does the card have its backing identify what type card it is despite where it is located on the table?

Thanks.

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

I've already asked FFG and will answer when I get one.

#9 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

And yes, to confirm (when and if the ruling comes in), unless an effect specifically says you can "capture a light side card" or similar, which would directly contradict and therefore override the rules, then the rules must be obeyed, and the rules say "Only LS cards can be captured.". So normal capture effects cannot capture DS cards.

Edited by PBrennan, 19 January 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#10 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

And yes, to confirm (when and if the ruling comes in), unless an effect specifically says you can "capture a light side card" or similar, which would directly contradict and therefore override the rules, then the rules must be obeyed, and the rules say "Only LS cards can be captured.". So normal capture effects cannot capture LS cards.

I think the last sentence should read "So normal capture effects cannot capture DS cards.", correct?

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#11 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Correct. Changed.

#12 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

Still no word from FFG about what is a Light card and what is a Dark card regarding capturing?

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

I haven't seen an official ruling posted, but I agree with PBrennan's assessment: You can only capture a LS card.  A DS card that the LS has control of is still a DS card and cannot be captured.

#14 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

That seems logical. It would open a big can of worms if the dark side can capture their own cards. Otherwise, this is a good feature for the S&S decks.

#15 theChony

theChony

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Did anybody get an official ruling on this?

#16 Meudian

Meudian

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

Initially I would say yes, you can capture it regardless of if it is LS or DS.  Once it is taken, it belongs to your opponent.  And any capture cards refer to your enemy or opponent.  At which point, wherever it is placed then has to be destroyed, and instead of going to your opponent's hand, then goes to yours.  This way you can get it back, but at a cost as you have to lose something to have it returned.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned in this is The Golden Rule on page 11.  Card text overrides the rule book.

Edited by Meudian, 20 February 2014 - 01:51 AM.

#17 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Card text only overrides the rule book if it directly contradicts the rule book. The rule book says you can only capture LS cards, so when you're capturing you must abide by this. Only if a capturing effect specifically said you may capture a DS card, therefore directly contradicting the rule, could you do it.

#18 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Card text only overrides the rule book if it directly contradicts the rule book. The rule book says you can only capture LS cards, so when you're capturing you must abide by this. Only if a capturing effect specifically said you may capture a DS card, therefore directly contradicting the rule, could you do it.

I understand that and agree. I am curious to know if it is the card backing that "makes" a card or if it is "side-of-table" that does. Does that make sense?

#19 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I've confirmed it the FFG design team ... "light side" vs "dark side" is defined by the card backing (ie who owns it), not who controls it.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#20 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Here's the complete answer for those that might be interested in seeing it.

Defined by ownership (card backs). 

Rulebook, page 26 "Only LS cards can be captured."  Even if the light-side player controls the card, it is still a DS card.  You would need an explicit exception to be able to capture a DS card (something worded like "capture a target dark side card.")  Without that, you are unable to capture a DS card that the LS player currently controls.

--

Erik Dahlman

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS