Award for most confusing rules game

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Deputy

Deputy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I really want to like this game, but it seems the makers do everything in their power to make it challenging before play even begins. The rulebook is as confusing as the videos on YouTube.

For example...on page 6 of the rulebook under #3 Domains

"Each player takes three cards that are not being used in this game and places them face-down next to his deck."

Great...WHERE are these cards supposed to come from???? Is the player supposed to LOOK at these cards or not? If he is allowed to look at them, how should he choose which cards to use? Is it okay to use story cards? Icon cards? Unique cards? Conspiracy cards? Event cards? 

C'mon designers, throw us a bone. The rules are supposed to HELP people, not confuse them. We shouldn't need to call in the old gods to decipher rules. :(  

#2 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Any three cards you aren't using. You may be over thinking this one. These are just cards to mark your domains and to cover up cards you have resourced, except for the resource icons.

• Deputy likes this

#3 Deputy

Deputy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Any three cards you aren't using. You may be over thinking this one. These are just cards to mark your domains and to cover up cards you have resourced, except for the resource icons.

Thank you. I wish the rules would have said that. I appreciate the quick reply.

Dep

#4 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:10 AM

Actually, I'd wish they had included dedicated domain cards in the core set like they did in the CCG starter packs.

• jasonconlon, Sapper_D and Deputy like this

#5 Mnemonaut

Mnemonaut

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

That would be nice indeed.

• Deputy likes this

#6 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

The rule booklet that accompanies the core set definitely has it's shortcomings. I think the game would benefit greatly if a new rule book were printed with corrections and additions. Just the inclusion of a timing flow chart and card errata would be a big improvement. I agree Jhaelen, including two sets of domain cards in the Core Set seems like a no-brainer!

With that being said, the title of this topic 'Award for most confusing rules game' is misleading and could possibly scare away future players that are poking around trying to get a feel for the game and community.   :o

So if you are one of those Cthulhu curious individuals, I've been playing this game for years at a fairly high level and many people would agree that this game is one of the most intuitive card games available. More intuitive than most if not all of the other LCGs. As you can see there are plenty of experienced and friendly players that are happy to answer questions and provide guidance. So what are you waiting for? Dive in!  :P

Edited by Hybrid, 19 January 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#7 Deputy

Deputy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

The rule booklet that accompanies the core set definitely has it's shortcomings. I think the game would benefit greatly if a new rule book were printed with corrections and additions. Just the inclusion of a timing flow chart and card errata would be a big improvement. I agree Jhaelen, including two sets of domain cards in the Core Set seems like a no-brainer!

With that being said, the title of this topic 'Award for most confusing rules game' is misleading and could possibly scare away future players that are poking around trying to get a feel for the game and community.   :o

So if you are one of those Cthulhu curious individuals, I've been playing this game for years at a fairly high level and many people would agree that this game is one of the most intuitive card games available. More intuitive than most if not all of the other LCGs. As you can see there are plenty of experienced and friendly players that are happy to answer questions and provide guidance. So what are you waiting for? Dive in!  :P

Here's the catch to the intuitve thing...it kinda makes the rule book sound like a suggestion book instead of an instruction manual. I mean if that's the way the game is supposed to be played, fine. But do you really want to be playing the game wrong for years and then find out that all those games you thought you won were actually losses? And new players, and I mean new players who haven't EVER played this type of game before, really can't depend on intuition to make sure they are doing things right. I have played Magic the Gathering Online for many years. Sometimes the rules on those cards are confusing, but the computer enforces the way the game is played, so new players can "muddle through" until they get an understanding of the cards. That can't happen with this game. And there is nobody to consult when I am actually in the middle of this game. So written rules that are CLEAR and easy to understand are mandatory. Even the YouTube video was no help with my question. All it does is make visual exactly what it says in the rule book. I guess it's there for those who have lost the art of reading. :lol:

Perhaps the game needs an online FAQ that is updated at least weekly...I dunno.

Edited by Deputy, 19 January 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#8 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

As I said and I don't deny, the core rule book is inadequate. Regardless of if a game does or does not have a well thought out and executed rule book, intuitive core mechanics are paramount. Of course we don't want to depend solely upon how much sense a game makes just by symbols and card text, I don't believe I suggested this and if I did I apologize. With any game of this sophistication there will be facets that are not properly explained in the initial rules, subsequent faqs and on line videos. That's where the game's community comes in. We've got a pretty good community around here. I'm not sure the title of this topic serves it well though.  :unsure:

#9 Deputy

Deputy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

The topic of the thread may be a strong opinion, but I posted it because, at the time, my frustration level was quite high. The frustration has morphed into disappointment that they are STILL selling this game with these confusing and obtuse rules. I mean even the FAQ they put out doesn't really resolve much. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to like this game. I am a big fan of Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos. This game COULD blow away Magic The Gathering, but it seems to handicap itself. Go read the complaints on Amazon and other websites about this game. I bought it IN SPITE of the complaints. But now I see that many of them are correct. Maybe they need to get a guy to write the rulebook that HASN'T been playing the game for years and doesn't already know all the ins and outs of the game. That way it would be clearer and more descriptive and he would know what newbs would be asking. I don't want to play this game with a computer on the game table so that I can keep referencing different mechanics that are left out of the manual. For the price this game sells for, and the number of years it has been available, there is no excuse for having a rulebook that is so incomplete and confusing.

Edited by Deputy, 19 January 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#10 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:15 AM

While the rule book is insufficient once you delve a bit deeper into the game, I feel that the FAQ actually has answers to almost every question that might come up. It's a big document, though. Unfortunately, the CoC LCG isn't the only game suffering from that problem. Compare it with Arkham Horror and you'll find it's pretty much the same situation (except the FAQ is even bigger!).

I'd like to stress, though, that with the help of the online community, you should typically be able to solve most questions very quickly. In particular, I'd recommend to check out the CoC articles over at CardGameDB. Quite recently two article series started covering both general concepts and the more intricate timing rules. Well worth reading, even if you're not new to the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS