• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Kcall07

Kcall07

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

Hello all,

I was wondering what people currently considered to be the all round strongest unit in the game.

Palpatine? Vader? Chewbacca? The new Mara?

Personally my vote goes to Han (smug). He may be vulnerable, especially to sith, by I love the way he can potentially deal with three enemies on his own. With a Trust Your Feelings or other readying effect he can turn a strong DS defensive line into rubble.
No man knows what the new day will bring

#2 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Leia.

She is cheap, cannot be ignored, can be re-used; often in the same round, and has a game ending ability.

#3 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

Furthermore, with the addition of Sleuth Scouts the Emperor is no longer the top blocker in the game, so I wouldn't rate him as high as in the early state of the game. He's still good, but the objective he comes with isn't.

My 2 saber strikes

#4 Vanadio

Vanadio

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Chewbacca and Mara in a vacuum.

Han solo would be GOD if he had 3 life.

Honorable mention "Snowtrooper Vanguard". 

#5 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Furthermore, with the addition of Sleuth Scouts the Emperor is no longer the top blocker in the game, so I wouldn't rate him as high as in the early state of the game. He's still good, but the objective he comes with isn't.

My 2 saber strikes

The objective is literally the only drawback, and only because of the 4 damage.  I strongly disagree about the pod itself, it is easily one of the most powerful pods overall, if not the single best pod.  Emp, the undercosted Royal Guard, a resource, choke, AND Lightning? yea okay.....  If the objective was a 5/1 with tha ability it would easily be overpowered.

Leia.

She is cheap, cannot be ignored, can be re-used; often in the same round, and has a game ending ability.

I disagree. When a unit can be handled immediately after it is played and completely negate her primary ability with one of the most common event cards DS plays, I find it really hard to believe that she even makes the top 10. Not to mention that she only has one non-edge enabled icon... Her pod is also pretty boring. Nothing bad really, but nothing besides her really jumps out as being worth it, which is not the case with most of the pods I would rank up there.  Her main ability is very strong, but incredibly difficult to get off at the right time against an opponent who knows what hes doing.

I also don't think its overly fair to consider units by themselves without some consideration for the pod they are in, so that played into my choices.

My Vote for best Units are:

LS - Blockade Runner

Cost effective and very hard to deal with.  Anything that can block it currently cannot kill it outright without some help, and that is doubly true if your opponent has an Astromech.  Its a vehicle, so cannot be easily killed/countered by the DS.  Easily a meta-defining Unit.  If your DS deck can't somehow mitigate/deal with this unit, you will lose to it repeatedly.  Its pod is also quite good and easy to splash in pretty much anything.

DS - the Emprah

Sure, he may not be what he used to with all the Unblockables running around, but a mid-game Emperor still dominates the board unless he is dealt with somehow and can quickly take charge of the game assuming you have managed those units he can't block effectively.   Even against the unblockables, he can go on the offense and lock slow them down if needed.  Sorry, just because he has answers doesn't mean he is not the single biggest 'thud' the DS can play in a turn.  His pod is amazing, 1 HP on the objective rarely matters and the rest is solid gold. Easy to splash if you so desire as well, since he brings a lot tot he table.

My Top 10 (Units only - In no particular order)

LS:

1) Blockade Runner

- Luke Skywalker (Core)

- Han Solo (Core)

- Home One

- Obi-Wan Kenobi (BotF)

- Chewbacca

- Sleuth Scout

- Rogue 3

- Cloud City Operative

- Millenium Falcon

DS:

1) Emperor Palpatine

- Darth Vader (Core)

- Executor

- Devastator

- Admiral Motti

- Icetromper

- AT-AT

- 501st Legion

- Weequay Elite

- Emperor's Royal Guard

I excluded the unreleased cards, since the other cards that come out between now and then will determine how good they are, is not fair to add them at this time.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#6 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

I agree that the Vanguard pound for pound is pretty powerful. I think what makes smug Han so good is his game text; dealing a damage regardless of striking as attacker or defender + targeted strike if winning is pretty boss.

I think, though, that sith Vader still takes the top spot. He has a killer batch of combat icons, enough health to survive a strike or two AND deals damage when you play sith events.

Welcome to the machine!

#7 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering what people currently considered to be the all round strongest unit in the game.

Personally my vote goes to Han (smug). He may be vulnerable, especially to sith, by I love the way he can potentially deal with three enemies on his own. With a Trust Your Feelings or other readying effect he can turn a strong DS defensive line into rubble.

Vader is good.

#8 FliptheForce

FliptheForce

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Hello all,

The Millennium Falcon is easily the 'strongest' card.  Two guaranteed blast damage.  Two guaranteed unit damage.  A possible third unit damage.  Edge 1.  And can only die under the most limited of conditions.  Not only can it protect itself, but it also puts a character unit into play.  For free.  

• Yivrael likes this

http://www.fliptheforce.com

Regional Winner - 2013 and 2014 

Winner of Three Store Championships 2014

Worlds Top 16 - 2013 -- Nationals Top 16 - 2014

#9 Dxopherj

Dxopherj

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Lando is not getting enough love.

#10 Kcall07

Kcall07

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Good shout on Lando. I'm not sure I'd call him the best as such, but along with the Falcon he's one of the most fun to play.

#11 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Jabba should be in consideration, he's a great Sleuth scout blocker by letting you drop in weenies, and he just gives a lot of versatility.

#12 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Palpatine. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#13 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

After a number of games with him, I have to say that the new Obi-Wan is pretty rocking.

Welcome to the machine!

#14 Kcall07

Kcall07

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

Interesting. Is that in 1v1 or 2v2?

#15 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hello all,

The Millennium Falcon is easily the 'strongest' card.  Two guaranteed blast damage.  Two guaranteed unit damage.  A possible third unit damage.  Edge 1.  And can only die under the most limited of conditions.  Not only can it protect itself, but it also puts a character unit into play.  For free.  

Yeah it is good and I like the card art.

#16 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Interesting. Is that in 1v1 or 2v2?

Both actually. The set overall is really great, and the Obi-Wan's text is quite powerful. I have had many games where I have used it to totally lock down a Sith deck. As an example, I will use a Jedi Mind Trick and then It Binds All Things. I get the second card back and use them both again during my opponent's turn. If I can still win the Force struggle, I can get the IBAT back again.

A second, and more often recurring example is the cycling of Fate cards. Since there are so few sets that have Heat of battle - for example - playing it and then getting the Fate cards back can be pretty powerful.

• Hida77 likes this

Welcome to the machine!

#17 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, the new Obi-Wan is pretty sick.  It's one of the few BotF sets that I look at and agree really deserved being Limit 1, top to bottom the command deck cards are very useful.  The objective is useless in 1v1, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

#18 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

If we are talking starship art, then I think the Thunderflare's image is the best.

Welcome to the machine!

#19 Rockstar819

Rockstar819

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Boba fett. Easily the best pod in the game. Im mean he is weak, over costed, and has a nearly worthless/limited capture ability.

Oh.... we were picking the "best" character in the game and not one of the biggest and most loved Star Wars characters of all time who got screwed at the design table. My bad.

• Zordren likes this

#20 Doom1502

Doom1502

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Oh.... we were picking the "best" character in the game and not one of the biggest and most loved Star Wars characters of all time who got screwed at the design table. My bad.

Or most hated if you'd were to ask me :P

I'd vote for the Millenium Falcon for best unit!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS