I decided to start a band...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

I had not played in a while, so I decided to get a game in with myself on my day off.  I had to work the rust off, but I came out victorious in the end.

I had been wanting to play with a group of themed investigators (this is where the band comes into play), but I could not decide which group I wanted to go with.

Should I be the adventurers (Leo, Monterey, Ursula), the local boys (William, Wilson, Hank), or the band (Jim, Marie, Patrice)?

Since I could not decide, I rolled a D3 and ended up with "the band." 

I then drew Nyarlathotep as the Ancient One.  This was the first time that I had ever faced him.  My rolls were pretty brutal at the beginning and end of the game (I hit a hot streak about halfway through, but it did not last), but the cards I drew throughout the game were really good.  I also was fortunate and got the environment card that reduces a spell's sanity cost to zero, and it lasted quite a long time.  The only real negative thing to occur was a gate burst.  Marie did get Lost In Time and Space at one point, but she did not have to give up anything too great.

I ended up winning by seals after 22 Mythos phases.  The team worked really well together.  Patrice got some nice weapon draws, so she ran around killing monsters and grabbing clues while Jim and Marie closed gates with her clue tokens.

This very interesting team chemistry did bring up one big question: Can Patrice get the five clue tokens for hitting level nine on the doom track twice?  Since Marie can remove a doom token once per game that gives Patrice a chance to hit nine twice.  I felt generous since this was my first game in some time, and I played it that Patrice could get the bonus more than once.  Did I play that correctly?

I also had one other small bit that I could not remember clearly.  Do environment cards only affect Arkham, or do they affect Other Worlds as well?  The issue was the spell cost being reduced to zero card.  I played it that it only had an effect on Arkham, but I was not 100% certain on that one.

Thanks for any information you can provide me.  It is good to be playing again.

• The Professor and Julia like this

#2 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

This very interesting team chemistry did bring up one big question: Can Patrice get the five clue tokens for hitting level nine on the doom track twice?  Since Marie can remove a doom token once per game that gives Patrice a chance to hit nine twice.  I felt generous since this was my first game in some time, and I played it that Patrice could get the bonus more than once.  Did I play that correctly?

This is not possible as per the FAQ:

Q: Can Patrice Hathaway’s Ominous Dreams ability be used multiple times if the doom track drops below nine and hits nine again?
A: It only happens once per game.

I would also not recommend to improve an investigator such powerful as Patrice even further.

But otherwise good job!

Edited by Schwaig, 16 January 2014 - 02:12 AM.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:02 AM

As for the environments (FAQ pag 10):

Q: Do environment cards affect investigators in Other Worlds? Since most cards specifically state “in Arkham,” does the absence of this phrase include the Other Worlds? In particular, do cards that increase the toughness of monsters also increase any monsters that appear in the Other World as a result of an encounter?
A: Yes. If the phrase “in Arkham” is not within the text of the effect, then it affects investigators in the Other Worlds.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for any information you can provide me.  It is good to be playing again.

Additionally, Marie has a Personal Story pretty easy to pass, granting her to use her Witch Blood ability twice in the same game. If the Patrice exploit were possible, Marie only would grant her 15 clues; plus a good use of Eltdown Shards / Elder Signs / Barnabas Marsh / Thomas Olney / the South Church could actually provide you countless occasions for the doom track to bump up and down the nine doomers, so that if Patrice were triggered every time the ninth doomer is added, it'd really be way too broken.

Allow me to remember it's the same also for Martial Law: once it's declared, it doesn't matter whether the doom track diminishes again.

Anyhoo, good that you returned to the game :) And that you had a great time playing :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

I felt like it was too good to be true. I am sure Nyarlathotep will get revenge on me someday, so it will all balance out in the end. :)

• Julia likes this

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

I felt like it was too good to be true. I am sure Nyarlathotep will get revenge on me someday, so it will all balance out in the end. :)

He's been demanding revenge on me since 2007. Regardless of how hard he tries, I never gave him satisfaction. You can do the same. He's just a breakable mask, nothing else...

• Mud Turkey 13 likes this

#7 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Now now, let's be nice here. Dude's got a thousand faces and not a lot of patience--I'm sure if he wanted to, he could really turn up the heat but, he just doesn't want to! He's not here to kill us all, remember...

Just drive us all mad. BD

• Mud Turkey 13 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS