Descent storage solutions

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Chav

Chav

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

This is properly the best thread ever. Have gun from a 45 minute set-up time to 3 min set up time by getting inspiration from here

THANKS everybody!!!

• Zogwort and stegocent like this

#42 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Like most others, I also have the Plano 7771 tackle box. I had to upgrade from another I used when I got the SoN expansion. I also have all available expansions, plot decks, etc. Mine is set up a bit different but I have everything stored in there except for tiles, which are stored in an expansion D2e box. I did remove the bottom most storage unit, as it's not needed right now and store all my manuals and printed resources in that lower section.

After reading that some people had their tiles sorted into zip lock bags, I'll be doing this as well. That's the biggest problem, sorting through all the darn tiles to make the maps and with up to 60, or so, unique tiles, it get's to be a pain.

I agree.  Having tiles sorted out (I happen to actually keep them in numbered order within the base game and/or expansion they came from) makes it far faster to build the appropriate maps.

#43 Carbini

Carbini

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

I have to chime in on this one as well. While I don't yet have a box for the figures (although that tackle box is on my radar to pick up now) the ziplock bag idea is SOOOOO good and speeds up map creation like crazy. I love things that reduce the setup time in games, and I didn't realize how much that helped until I tried it.

#44 rshelley

rshelley

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Alright, never posted pictures before, so i'm going to give this a try.  I'm really enjoying seeing pictures of everyone's storage solutions, so i thought i'd throw mine in there.  I'm using the 7771 solution, so it won't be terribly different from the others. 

Both 7771 sets.  All for Descent.

125nn6c.jpg

I'll start with the one on the left.  Here's the top of the lid section.

33zfbzm.jpg

Here's inside the lid.  I keep the character cards on the right along with the skill cards, and store cards which are also in plastic card holders.  Still plenty of room to grow with the large figures.

wwb2uu.jpg

Here are the contents of the card boxes for those who are curious.  I just keep the character cards loose except for Raytheon and Serena, which are in the baggie.

2584i69.jpg

The player's tray.  When we start, i just hand them this tray.  It has all their pieces ready to go including all the player hero figures.

dfug5y.jpg

The Overlord tray.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  ;)  It's got the smaller lieutenant figures, an extra set of dice, and the smaller map pieces for easy access.

whxtox.jpg

This box fits in the lower right of the 7771.  I had to special order it (twice) but it fits so perfectly it was worth it.  In this one i keep the standard map pieces from the base game...plus maybe a few extras.

2dhe5hk.jpg

Here's a shot of the front.  I took the bottom tray out to leave room for really big map pieces, of which there is only one currently.  The third tray is actually empty, so bring on the expansions.

15ydo3b.jpg

Edit: Added all the pics and descriptions...more of a repost than an edit i guess.

Edited by rshelley, 28 June 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#45 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Use a free hosting site like TinyPic, then utilize the URL they give you and copy and paste that value into the URL link field provided by clicking on the 9th icon from the left on the bottom row.

#46 rshelley

rshelley

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Well, i guess that worked.  I don't know how to embed them in the post so i can comment on each picture, but i'm happy with baby steps.  Thanks any2cards.

#47 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

Well, i guess that worked.  I don't know how to embed them in the post so i can comment on each picture, but i'm happy with baby steps.  Thanks any2cards.

For TinyPic, make sure you use the last URL provided - the one that says "Direct Link for Layouts".  This will embed the image.

#48 rshelley

rshelley

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

On to the right box.  This is the top of the lid view.  I try to keep most of the monsters in the lid for easiest access.

bf2ond.jpg

Inside the lid.  This is what actually spurred me to get a second 7771.  The large lieutenant figures just started taking up too much space.  I've also got 3 hard plastic card boxes on the right for the rest of the cards.

1zzj955.jpg

Card box contents for those who are curious.  Plenty of room to grow.  I broke up Act 1 and Act 2 bad guys as i usually only use Act 1.

r08ao7.jpg

The lieutenant plot card stacks.  These alone fill an entire card box.  There are a lot of choices now.  Yea!

20kyeqx.jpg

This first tray.  I cut out the plastic walls so i could put the large map pieces inside.  I used a razor blade for the big work, then used a dremel to file down the rest.  It turned out really well i think.

28i3uvn.jpg

Second tray.  Same thing.  I cut out the walls to make room for more large pieces.  There's still plenty of room in each tray for more.

343gfgn.jpg

Here's the bottom of one of the trays.  I lined it with felt paper to protect the pieces from the cuts i made along the bottom.  They probably would have been fine, but why take chances?

2ljrh1w.jpg

The side box.  Most of the pieces from the expansions are in here...plus the doors as there was tons of room left.

73jihu.jpg

Here's the second box from the front.  Again, i took out the bottom tray for all the rule books and such.  And again, the third tray is empty. 

2njc2zd.jpg

I can almost cram it all into one, but with the new large figures it's a bit tight.  Plus, i know new stuff is coming out, so i thought i'd take the plunge and just get a second 7771.  I might even spread the hero minis out a bit as i've seen on the forums; I've got the room to spare.

This post brought to you by any2cards, thank you for taking the time to help me...really, thank you.

Play on my friends, and keep the pics coming.  It's really fun to see everyone's solutions.

• stegocent likes this

#49 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

One thought, although I don't know how well things will fit after you do this, but ...

I have found with map pieces that if I group them by tens (i.e. 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, etc.), and place each set in a labeled baggie, then I can find the map pieces very quickly; this in turn helps setup occur faster, so we can get to playing faster.

I am not sure if everything will still fit if you bag your map pieces, but something to consider.

#50 rshelley

rshelley

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

I originally grouped them by size to be a bit easier to find, but the numbers idea isn't bad at all.  I usually don't have trouble finding the pieces before the player's get their stuff together, but it has happened on some encounters on the second part.  Hmmmm.

#51 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

My only  concern, As I like to paint my miniatures, is how to store those without damaging the paintjob. Just throwing all the minis together as depicted here with all the non-painted figures is not a viable solution for me. Anybody else out there paint their minis and have a neat way to store them? 

#52 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

My only  concern, As I like to paint my miniatures, is how to store those without damaging the paintjob. Just throwing all the minis together as depicted here with all the non-painted figures is not a viable solution for me. Anybody else out there paint their minis and have a neat way to store them? 

That usually comes down to a matter of what is it worth to you to "protect" them?  I actually have a friend that painted all of his minis (from all of his games).  He goes to the expense of having laser-cut custom foam made for all of them.  As you can imagine, this ends up costing a great deal of money.

He doesn't care, as he is fortunate to have much of it, and he feels that the time he spent painting the things to begin with makes it worth it.

To each his own.

#53 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

There are customizable foam sheets that you should be able to find at any FLGS with a decent selection of miniatures games. Something like this is what I'm thinking of:

http://www.caseclub....-pluck-foam.htm

#54 Indalecio

Indalecio

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:19 AM

There are customizable foam sheets that you should be able to find at any FLGS with a decent selection of miniatures games. Something like this is what I'm thinking of:

http://www.caseclub....-pluck-foam.htm

Any idea if they have retailers in Europe? I've been looking to death on the web, for some reason it's not something I can get hold of easily.

Anyhow, 

The problem I have with these pics is that the boxes themselves are freaking ugly and difficult to store, at least for people like me who don't have a gaming room or a dedicated place to put everything in. I have normal book shelves and that's it. I also travel a lot (by train) and cannot carry huge boxes of that size with me. The price tag is probably something too, but I admit that I haven't checked.

My current storage solution is far from optimal, but the point is to use the original game boxes to the best of their capability. The plus is that any of these boxes looks way better and is much easier to store (as per my personal situation). So this is what I have inside the boxes.

I split everything in two, first the "active" components, which is what I´m currently using for the upcoming sessions and what I'm actually carrying with me, secondly the stuff that stays at home. The reason is that I want to limit space and weight for travelling reasons. So yeah, I do this job of extracting the material I need while setting up the next sessions, with the help of a tracking sheet to make sure nothing is forgotten. Works well so far.

- Trollfens box (small size): This is where I store all of the cards/tokens components I need for the next session, all in zip plastic bags. We turn the lock of the box upside down on the table and put all the tokens in piles. Decks are ready so setup takes no time.

ih05yq.jpg

- LoR box (medium size): Here go all the booklets, the tiles and the monsters I need (not on the picture) wrapped in tissue ton avoid friction. I put all the tiles together for a given encounter, so setting up the map takes no time.

6on6rn.jpg

Now only used for storage (these boxes never move and stay on a shelf at home)

- Base Game box: This is where I have all the tiles and terrain objects, all in zip plastic bags for sorting purpose. The bigger tiles are on their own at the bottom of the box, sorted numerically too. I find this very practical and there is a lot of space left for new tiles.

2qsxj04.jpg

- LoW box (small): Where all the unused cards go. Note the Rumor cards are there ;)

13yq9k.jpg

- SoN box (medium size): the rest of the unused components and the other million of threat tokens.

331klzd.jpg

It looks messy on the pictures, but the plastic bag solution is in fact extremely practical as it virtually removed the need to have compartiments for the components. Bluntly put, do your sorting with the help of these bags, and throw everything into a box or two and you're set. Then yeah sure, the "players tray" posted above is really nice and tidy, it's just that I can't travel with that.

- So where are the minis? :) Yeah, cause they don't fit basically. Actually they do, but then the boxes would explode. So I just have two separate boxes containing the miniatures (I have many of them painted now), with all minis standing except a few who are just too tall. When we have a session coming our way I pre-select the monsters like any OL would do and just move what I need to the LoR box.

sq05eg.jpg

jpexcy.jpg

Put together and my minis I'm currently painting on top, all on top of a shelf

drb9ea.jpg

Let's say that the above is the best I could come up with, considering the amount of required practicality against the effort and required storage.

Edited by Indalecio, 30 June 2014 - 03:21 AM.

#55 rshelley

rshelley

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

Considering your space and travel restrictions, that's a really nice setup.  I'm lucky in that i have a nice game room, so most of the time people travel to me.  I also have a closet in there where the 7771s fit perfectly on one of the shelves.  It's like the shelf was made for them.  I still keep the regular game boxes on a display shelf because they look so nice. 

I used the baggie method for quite some time (back during 1e) and i must say, it works quite well.  I had a hard time remembering which box stuff was in, so getting it all in one place was desired, hence the 7771 solution for me.  I'm still having trouble remember which box is which (even with only 2...i know...it's sad) so i'm going to print out some Descent stickers and label the boxes a bit so i can tell from the outside.

Oh yeah, sweet paint job on the minis.  If only i was remotely talented at painting...

#56 Chav

Chav

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Sabol army transport makes pluk foam (i use their bags for warmachine and Hordes), now my local game store is closing, so not sure where to buy it now, but it should be possible. 

#57 Indalecio

Indalecio

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

Considering your space and travel restrictions, that's a really nice setup.  I'm lucky in that i have a nice game room, so most of the time people travel to me.  I also have a closet in there where the 7771s fit perfectly on one of the shelves.  It's like the shelf was made for them.  I still keep the regular game boxes on a display shelf because they look so nice. 

I used the baggie method for quite some time (back during 1e) and i must say, it works quite well.  I had a hard time remembering which box stuff was in, so getting it all in one place was desired, hence the 7771 solution for me.  I'm still having trouble remember which box is which (even with only 2...i know...it's sad) so i'm going to print out some Descent stickers and label the boxes a bit so i can tell from the outside.

Oh yeah, sweet paint job on the minis.  If only i was remotely talented at painting...

Well thank you! I wouldn't call myself talented or anything as I really struggled doing these with virtually no time to spend for it, but I would say that any painting job is better than the original colors. Heck, I have a friend who just put a layer of black paint with gloss shade over every tan monster and it looks twice better than the original :)

Sabol army transport makes pluk foam (i use their bags for warmachine and Hordes), now my local game store is closing, so not sure where to buy it now, but it should be possible. 

Yeah, I was also aware of that, but it's tough to get hold of the foam trays without having to buy the bag as well. The trays alone are on the catalogue but it seems like most retailers only import the transport bag, even empty sometimes.

I was thinking naively that foam trays could potentially be found in building stores or something, but it doesn't look like the material is used anywhere else than transport (I was thinking isolation jobs). 

#58 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

One place you might look is locations that sell window air conditioners.  Many of them also sell thick gray/black foam that can be used to stuff around the air conditioner that sits within a window.  Some sell it in sheets, some sell it in narrow strips.

You might be able to utilize something like this and an exacto knife to cut out sections within which you can store your minis.  Just a thought.

#59 Chav

Chav

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

Or you sure they dont sell the trays individualy? I got around 40-50 trays (if not more) and only 2 bags, my shop at least sold them indivdually. But he cloesed a month ago, so i am not awere where it could be bought. I try ask the retailers, one of the points of sabol is, as you say to buy the bag empty so you can get exactly what you want. 

It just hit me, battlefoam might also be worth a look, pretty sure they also sell trays individually, though I dont think they have pluck foam, but standard tabletop sized trays should hold everything except 4x4 sixed creatures or bigger. 

#60 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

It just hit me, battlefoam might also be worth a look, pretty sure they also sell trays individually, though I dont think they have pluck foam, but standard tabletop sized trays should hold everything except 4x4 sixed creatures or bigger. 

Battle Foam does sell pluck foam:

http://us.battlefoam...ck foam&x=0&y=0

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS