Descent storage solutions

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Malicain

Malicain

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

I just wanted to add a comment about a solution I have found that is pretty cool. You may or may not be familiar with side loader deck boxes made by ultra-pro fro Magic the Gathering, they are perfect for the put FFG half sized cards in.  I scanned all the hero ability cards into my computer and print them out. I have them sorted in a note book for perusal. It makes hero selection awesome as you can look at all the abilities before you decide and the ones you don’t pick can be left in the box.

These are the deck boxes I am talking about.

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B0042AP1QC

I use these to store all my FFG half sized cards. Works with the FFG sleeves as well.

You can also keep the merchant deck and others in their respective deck boxes as you play and just draw from the box. Keeps them from getting messy on the table, especially if you sleeve them.

#22 rshelley

rshelley

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Just to update on my previous post.  Descent has beaten me.  I can no longer fit everything inside on 7771 tackle box.  I've had to expand into two 7771 tackle boxes, mostly due to the large Lt. figures.  But, now that i've gotten a second tackle box, there is plenty of room.  With the creature expansions, i was afraid it was going to be even more tight, but it actually takes up less room as there are fewer monsters in a group in 2nd Edition, especially the Bane Spiders.  So i actually GAINED some space when i got the creature expansion and put the old ones back into storage.  The player figures were a bit bigger, but i've got plenty of space in the small storage boxes inside the tackle box.  I highly recommend the 7771...twice in fact.

#23 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

As i paint my minis i will be glueing on magnets onto the bases, Ill then get one of those flat tub under the bed storage containers, glue down strips of metal then just drop the minis onto the strips of metal.

I bought some magnets, they turned out to be a bit strong and it was possible for 2 minis on the board in adjacent spaces to attract to one another. Putting the magnets in the oven for 15 or so min on max heat helped to reduce the force of the magnets to be usable.

As for the cards, tokens and map tiles i have put them into 2 small tackle boxes and 1 large tackle box. I have it all setup so i just put the boxes on the table, open up a couple lids and the game is virtually all ready to play. This vastly reduces setup/pack up time as well as making the table a billion times more tidy.

Ill take a couple pics next time i have setup.

Edited by BentoSan, 17 May 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#24 Hasharin

Hasharin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

Just a word on getting replacement rulebooks and such, my rulebook got accidently ripped  (cant remember how I think somebody sat on it and then ripped it somehow...) and it was pretty badly ruined as all the pages were torn off the main binding and I just uploaded some pics and sent them to FFG customer service and they promptly sent me a replacement. Very fast and very good customer service.

• evilhead likes this

#25 Chav

Chav

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

4Zeah.jpg

Sorry for the necromancy :D

That Plano 7771 tackle box looks great. Anyone know if it can be bought in Europe? The only shops I have managed to find is in the US, and the customs adds around 50-60 $ charge just to make me pay my import taxes if it comes overseas. 

• stegocent likes this

#26 MR Suplex

MR Suplex

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

My whole thing was portability & speed of setup. Hunting around for tiles in the box was taking too long; it was eating into play time & people have to get up early for work etc. We can bust out multiple quests in a night now.

So I picked up a Plano 7771 tacklebox. It works pretty good, is secure, and unlike the game boxes I can see where everything is without opening the trays. The only downside I can see is if you are all about painting up your minis to a high standard, with grasses, sand etc, you may want them individually slotted in foam or something. I've only finished a few like that and keep them up top; the rest are still unpainted so it's all good.

pic1898813_md.png

The map tiles are in labeled ziploc folders inside a big D-ring binder.

I really like the solution you have with the tackle box.  For the trays with the tokens, cards, etc, did you physically alter the barriers in them to make the cards fit?  I was looking in the store at them and it didn't look like the cards would fit.

#27 Zogwort

Zogwort

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Oh hey I haven't seen this thread in a while now! In case anyone is interested, I wound up getting this box:
http://www.planomold...CID=110&PID=657

I found it at a local Walmart for $40. It is currently home to my entire Descent collection (which consists of the base game, Lair of the Wyrm, and all of the Lieutenant packs that have been released so far) AND my collection of X-Wing minis (which is the base game and at least 1 of every ship that has been released. I intend to get a 2nd box and seperate the two games, but for now I can probably squeeze in one more Descent expansion or the next wave of X-Wing ships without much of an issue. 

I'll try to post some pics of my collections in the box later :)

#28 Bagdad

Bagdad

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

I just bought the 7771 too, and I got the same question.

"For the trays with the tokens, cards, etc, did you physically alter the barriers in them to make the cards fit?"

I was thinking of cutting the barrier manually too, so the card could fit.

#29 MR Suplex

MR Suplex

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Yeah, I don't see another way other than cutting it, but figured I'd ask Evilhead since he had so many great photos of his setup.  Also, the bottom of the barrier that seems to need to be cut is somewhat rounded, and I'm wondering if that further complicates things (or if it is just left as is).

Edited by MR Suplex, 13 June 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#30 Bagdad

Bagdad

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, so I decided to go ahead and sacrifice a box and try cutting the parts manually. It works well. And yes, there is the little round part at the bottom. You will end up with a 2mm extrusion, but the cards still hold fine.

#31 MR Suplex

MR Suplex

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Thank you for taking the plunge!

#32 MR Suplex

MR Suplex

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, so I decided to go ahead and sacrifice a box and try cutting the parts manually. It works well. And yes, there is the little round part at the bottom. You will end up with a 2mm extrusion, but the cards still hold fine.

How did you end up storing you map tiles?

#33 Bagdad

Bagdad

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Haven't done that yet, but the older model of the 777 came with a Plano 3504 for the bottom right section. So i'm going to order that from amazon and see if it hold everything.

#34 MR Suplex

MR Suplex

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Thanks again dude.  How did you cut the barriers?  Did you use a hand saw or something else?

#35 Electris

Electris

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

I actually have the same tackle box kit as described above. To remove the barriers I used a dremmel tool. To store map tiles I bought two 3 in binders and 100 sheet protectors. I put each numbered tile in its own sheet protector and it made quest setup very fast.

#36 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

That Plano 7771 tackle box looks great. Anyone know if it can be bought in Europe? The only shops I have managed to find is in the US, and the customs adds around 50-60 $ charge just to make me pay my import taxes if it comes overseas.

I think your (totally awesome) picture kind of overshadowed your question here, dude. Unfortunately I live in Canada so I don't know much about Plano boxes in the EU myself.

Have you tried searching for other modular fishing/tackle boxes? Perhaps the Plano brand name isn't in Europe, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something similar on the continent. =)

Edit: You could also try asking this question over in the Arkham Horror forum. It's another bits & cards heavy game by FFG and I know there are a few active European forumites there. They may be able to better point you at a comparable storage solution to be found in the EU.

Edited by Steve-O, 22 June 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#37 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

I thought I would take a second and post some pictures of how I store all of my Descent stuff.  I have all of Descent Second Edition (the base games, all of the expansions to date, all of the Lieutenant packs, and all of the Monster and Hero expansions to date).

All of this is stored in 3 ArtBin cases which I found on Amazon.  Here is a picture of all of the bins stacked:

qoygbs.jpg

Here is ArtBin 9101AB which contains all of the tokens, dice, etc.:

35dddkw.jpg

15hl66q.jpg

Here is ArtBin Super Satchel Box with Removeable Thread Trays. It just happens to be the right size for storing all of the map pieces.  I simply remove the thread trays:

28m00gh.jpg

2w7et5k.jpg

And finally, here is ArtBin 6990AB Super Satchel Double Deep Box which contains all of the cards, monsters, heroes, rules, quest guides, etc.:

2mo18vo.jpg

mmfr4g.jpg

I found that this was a very workable, expandable system to storing everything, and for allowing me to access and setup things very quickly.  It also made it very transportable.

#38 Zogwort

Zogwort

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

Any2cards, that's actually quite a nice setup you have there. I might have to consider those containers when I expand my Descent collection.

Edited by Zogwort, 23 June 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#39 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

@Zogwort ... thanks.  Unlike many gamers, I am not really hung up on everything being stored in its original box.  Quite frankly, after collecting everything from Descent First and Second Edition, I have found that putting everything back in the box from which it came (after unpacking it) is impossible.

I think that is one of the great mysteries of the world ... I know it all fit in there when it came, but it no longer does.  :P

Anyway, these boxes stack really nicely for overall storage (in fact the bottoms and tops of them are grooved so that when stacked, they don't really move).  When it comes time (if necessary) to transport the game, it works really nicely.

Finally, when it comes time for setup of a new game, everything is at your finger tips - especially the tokens, etc.  No more searching, no more fumbling, etc.  It makes things a hell of a lot quicker - this is especially true if we happen to stop in the middle of a game, and pick it up later (this happens far more in Descent First Edition, rather than Second Edition, but it still does happen).

In the past, I have tried several flavors of tackle boxes, plano boxes, etc., but I think these ArtBin boxes work out far better.  I actually use them for all of my games that are similar to Descent.  You should see my game storage area ... it is simply towers of these containers !  :D

• stegocent likes this

#40 Coldmoonrising

Coldmoonrising

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

Like most others, I also have the Plano 7771 tackle box. I had to upgrade from another I used when I got the SoN expansion. I also have all available expansions, plot decks, etc. Mine is set up a bit different but I have everything stored in there except for tiles, which are stored in an expansion D2e box. I did remove the bottom most storage unit, as it's not needed right now and store all my manuals and printed resources in that lower section.

After reading that some people had their tiles sorted into zip lock bags, I'll be doing this as well. That's the biggest problem, sorting through all the darn tiles to make the maps and with up to 60, or so, unique tiles, it get's to be a pain.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS