Photo

Does Disney's Canon Policy Impact SW LCG?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I'm concerned about this because a lot of the background to characters in the original trilogy still falls under EU, doesn't it? I mean, Zuckuss' ability to use the Force to find his quarry and even the fact that he teams up with 4-LOM is never stated in the movie. That's completely EU material. If Disney erases backgrounds like that, I believe it will have a profound affect on this game.

For example, if Disney decides that Trandoshans don't hunt Wookiees, Trandoshan Terror and it's associated cards suddenly don't make sense.

I'm not saying they will get rid of all that stuff, but if they cut off ALL EU, it would drastically change Star Wars as we know it. I'm hoping that, similar to what MarthWMaster thinks about Mara Jade, most of the species concepts and stereotypes remain. Otherwise it's like entering a whole new galaxy.

I suppose the answer to things like this would be to keep the essential plot points but do away with the stories wherein they occurred, so that you can have Trandoshans hating Wookiees and hunting them etc etc, but do away with, was it a Kathy Tyers short story that made this so? Same for Zuckuss and 4-LOM, have them as a team but do away with that actual story too. So all the new material that will be coming out can use that stuff to create new stories around it. So instead of seeing Zuckuss and 4-LOM join the rebellion, instead we can see them infiltrating Imperial Center to some end. Or maybe Zuckuss built 4-LOM? 

I do look forward to seeing what the story group come up with as regards to what stays and what goes. I get the feeling that we might be surprised by how much is kept, but still. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#22 Jahzir

Jahzir

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

I'm concerned about this because a lot of the background to characters in the original trilogy still falls under EU, doesn't it? I mean, Zuckuss' ability to use the Force to find his quarry and even the fact that he teams up with 4-LOM is never stated in the movie. That's completely EU material. If Disney erases backgrounds like that, I believe it will have a profound affect on this game.

For example, if Disney decides that Trandoshans don't hunt Wookiees, Trandoshan Terror and it's associated cards suddenly don't make sense.

I'm not saying they will get rid of all that stuff, but if they cut off ALL EU, it would drastically change Star Wars as we know it. I'm hoping that, similar to what MarthWMaster thinks about Mara Jade, most of the species concepts and stereotypes remain. Otherwise it's like entering a whole new galaxy.

At the same time in cleaning up the EU they do not have to say anything about Trandoshans or Wookies especially if they won't really be featured in the coming movies. There are plenty of things that simply don't need to be addressed, such as species. What they do need to address is the myriad of convoluted plots from dozens of crap novels that have been churned out over decades.

Also it doesn't really matter what Disney does, Chewbacca's card is printed and he is going to keep making sure that the Wookies win.

#23 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

There is some complete crap in the EU and also some major inconsistencies. Even in the vaunted Thrawn trilogy.

If you are talking about inconsistencies, those crept in after the book was published. There was little in the EU when it was written, so it didn't have much to be inconsistent with. I personally think the Clone Wars that it hinted at (based on the accepted timeline at the time, published by the WEG Star Wars RPG) is actually better than the one that was presented.

If you think it is crap... I disagree. Now, it had its flaws (I don't like the ending, and frankly the sections with Leia and the Noghri are tiresome), and I will admit there is a bit of rose tinted glasses going on based on when I read it, but it is quite good book for feeling Star Warsy, as it was presented in the original trilogy. Also, it didn't have the Super Weapon of the Week problem (goddam Sunchrusher). This was a trilogy where a single mad Dark Jedi and the sudden introduction of 200 outdated warships could tip the balance in the war. It felt like a universe where something like the Death Star mattered. This was a universe where a Star Destroyer was a thing to be feared.

#24 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

I never said the Thrawn trilogy was crap. 

I said there is some complete crap in the EU, not the Thrawn trilogy. If I thought it was crap I probably wouldn't have read it twice. 

The EU needs to be cleaned up to prevent any further inconsistencies. This has been necessary for a while and even more so now that new movies are on the way. 

Edited by Toqtamish, 20 February 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#25 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Is having a consistent canon really that important? For me SW are a form of modern fairy tales. Right now there are hundreds of different stories set in that universe and I like to look at them as a sort of legends. They all share the same themes, similar style and often the same characters but legends do not have to be 100% accurate and surely do not have to form a single, coherent narrative. The stories are important, not the details. Many characters are just archetypes, nothing more - you can easly switch DARTH XX with DARTH YY and it doesn't really change the tale. Trying to put all these legends into a single canon just spawns hundreds of similar sith, jedi, smugglers, emperors, etc. In time it will just get more and more messy, like Marvel od DC universes. 

• MarthWMaster likes this

#26 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Darth YY could totally kick Darth XX's ass. 

• Fbaranow likes this

#27 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

This is an interesting issue, to be sure.  I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of the things that happened after RotJ, but I know the basics.  Frankly, from what I do know, I could stand to lose a decent amount of it.  I love a lot of the short stories I've read from the EU, but the novels I've tried were poorly written and seemed like cash cows.  Axing stuff like that could be good, and streamlining in general isn't always a bad thing.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS