Photo

Does Disney's Canon Policy Impact SW LCG?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 wishasc

wishasc

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Just wondering if this news has any impact on future of the game...

ars technica

#2 Bazeleel

Bazeleel

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Not happy about this! Disney should know better :( Sadly all they care about is money anymore.

Star Wars: The card Game Podcast - Table Flip   Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

#3 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Sadly it probably will.

Hopefully we get something official soon, and it doesn't rip out characters and ideas in new force cycle too much.

I would bet if we don't find out something by March that the next FFG cycle / big box will focus on the movies again to avoid any conflict with this ruling.

#4 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

With Leland Chee on the committee, I personally find it hard to imagine that Mara Jade is in any real danger here. Things like the fate of the Skywalker children are likely to be redefined, as the films are said to cover that ground, and there's no point in rehashing stuff that's already been established for years via the books, games, etc. But for them to just arbitrarily say that fan-favorite Mara Jade doesn't exist would be a foolish move that I can't even see Disney making. Keep in mind that, so far at least, this game mostly covers the Classic Era, albeit with some exceptions that are easily BS'ed as fitting in (Ghosts of the Dark Side, Shadows of Dathomir, et al).

The Mara Jade that we see in this game is the Mara Jade that currently serves as the Emperor's Hand. So far, FFG has even avoided addressing the existence of multiple Emperor's Hands, a secret kept from each Hand so that each believes themselves to be the only one. Barring whatever happens after the films under the new tierless canon system, for her not to exist in this state (i.e. as a servant of the Empire during the Original Trilogy) would require the character to be written out entirely, something I don't expect. Fans should be ready for her fate to change drastically, but so far I think it's safe to say the game won't be impacted, especially since Design set out initially with only a quasi-canon look at the saga's continuity. No matter what happens to Mara Jade or other Expanded Universe elements, fans are still gonna love what they love, and her objectives aren't gonna just be banned due to what Disney decides.

Edited by MarthWMaster, 17 January 2014 - 12:13 PM.

• spalanzani likes this

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Not everything will go. Just somethings. It will be nice to have it cleaned up. 

http://whatculture.c...g-4-reasons.php

• MarthWMaster likes this

#6 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

No matter what happens to Mara Jade or other Expanded Universe elements, fans are still gonna love what they love, and her objectives aren't gonna just be banned due to what Disney decides.

I agree, it might just change what comes in the next cycle if FFG wants to play along with this update. I also agree with Toqtamish, it will be nice to see this cleaned up and defined properly. :)

#7 stevepop

stevepop

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Had me worried there, but we're just talking about EU lore. The license and gameplay are safe for now. As far as lore is concerned I'm only mildly interested in anything that happened after 1983.

• videinfra likes this

#8 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Not happy about this! Disney should know better :( Sadly all they care about is money anymore.

How do you get that from this issue?

Disney is acknowledging that to continue the franchise they need not be burdened by the glut of, sometimes poorly conceived, content that has been developed.   Lucas was already ignoring his own damn movies in developing other story lines so I can't fault Disney for just being honest and saying they have to do away with some stuff to continue on.  I do not see how this is a money play on their part.

And I say this with the utmost confidence that I've delved into more of the post-RoTJ books then 99% of people that play these game.  I read Bacta War every other month.

• Toqtamish and Budgernaut like this

#9 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

There is some complete crap in the EU and also some major inconsistencies. Even in the vaunted Thrawn trilogy.

#10 Shadin

Shadin

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm sure I'm missing something, but so far the biggest things I've noticed from the EU have been Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn, both of which I think have a huge chance of going canon.

• ilovelcgs likes this

I know there's no grand plan here.  This is just the way it goes.

#11 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Things in the EU I wouldn't mind losing:

The Sun Crusher
World Devastators
Darksaber
The Yuuzhan Vong
A Force power that can affect said Yuuzhan Vong despite their severance from the Force
Luke Skywalker being the closest thing to God in the GFFA
Cade Skywalker
  • videinfra and KennedyHawk like this

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

I'm concerned about this because a lot of the background to characters in the original trilogy still falls under EU, doesn't it? I mean, Zuckuss' ability to use the Force to find his quarry and even the fact that he teams up with 4-LOM is never stated in the movie. That's completely EU material. If Disney erases backgrounds like that, I believe it will have a profound affect on this game.

For example, if Disney decides that Trandoshans don't hunt Wookiees, Trandoshan Terror and it's associated cards suddenly don't make sense.

I'm not saying they will get rid of all that stuff, but if they cut off ALL EU, it would drastically change Star Wars as we know it. I'm hoping that, similar to what MarthWMaster thinks about Mara Jade, most of the species concepts and stereotypes remain. Otherwise it's like entering a whole new galaxy.

• spalanzani likes this

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#13 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Things in the EU I wouldn't mind losing:

The Yuuzhan Vong
A Force power that can affect said Yuuzhan Vong despite their severance from the Force

THIS!

#14 videinfra

videinfra

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

I've tried to get into the EU stuff, but every time I pick up a book and try to read it just doesn't feel like the Star Wars I grew up with. Some of the material is horribly written as well. I for one hope that the new movies get rid of a lot of the crap. Even the Thrawn Trilogy I didn't think was that great, better than the other stuff, but I never understood why people thought it was amazing.

I also don't understand why FFG is doing so much EU material. It almost feels like more EU than OT to me. There are still so many characters from the OT that haven't been done or the characters that have been done are favorites whose pods are unusable, eg Boba Fett, or not worth playing, eg Tarken. How about I get to use Trench Run with a Red 5 before we get more characters I can't recognize and have never heard of from EU?

Edited by videinfra, 13 February 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#15 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

People venerate the Thrawn Trilogy for much the same reason that they do Final Fantasy VII. Both have cool characters and tell a quality story with them, but more importantly, their release made such an impact on their respective fandoms (Star Wars and video-RPGs respectively) that they are remembered as something far greater than they actually were. By this I mean to say, neither the Star Wars Expanded Universe nor RPGs would be anything like they are today, were it not for these titles. But when looked at in a vacuum, they appear far more down-to-earth when compared to others of their kind.

• Fbaranow likes this

#16 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Pure speculation on my part, but I would wager that this is the major reason for the delays in product for this game. 

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#17 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

I'll take that wager as you will lose. What are we putting In the pot ?
  • Holliday88 likes this

#18 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

It's cute that you think there'll ever be an answer one way or the other. :P

#19 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

True we probably won't ever really know, at least publicly.

How about a couple of brews, Toq? Or a steak dinner?

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#20 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Publicly no.

I prefer brews I hate steak.

Edited by Toqtamish, 15 February 2014 - 08:19 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS