• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Buronkai

Buronkai

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

hi everyone

in my last game of rogue trader, unfortunately my team suffered a mass possession (thanks to our astropath failing all checks miserably in a row) and well... we butchered each other.

we're all alive, but without some limbs. so far i lost a leg and both the astropath and explorator lost an arm, but at least our npc's managed to get us back to the ship.

now, my questions are about the cybernetics we'll have to use.

1- i don't see there's such thing as bionic leg in the cybernetics, only bionic arm and locomotion, but as far as i know, the locomotion affects both legs and spine, so i'm not sure what rules to use.

2- is our ship supposed to already have bionic limbs in stock for situations like this or we must go get them? and in case we have the stock, are they poor quality or regular?

3- my gm is considering that those bionics should come at the expense of our profit factor, but we're not entirely sure, because we're new to this system and we've only made 3 sessions so far. any suggestions of how to handle this?

of course the gm will have the final word, but we'd also want to know the best way to settle this

#2 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

1) I believe you can get a bionic leg, which functions with the same rule as a bionic arm. The text is just meant to explain that there're slightly more reinforcements required to properly get a bionic leg working.

2) If you had a Medicae Deck as a component I could see you making this arguement. Otherwise your GM isn't required to provide you with free gear. I have a rule that any item of Average availability is present on the void ship for my players to use, but anything else they'll have to tell me about and/or acquire.

3) I don't know why they should come at the expense of your Profit Factor. Acquiring a Scarce limb (+0) for one person (+30) at poor quality (+10) gives you a boost of +40 to your Acquisition roll, which most people should be able to get.

Next time you'll learn to have a supply of replacement limbs in stock for just such an occasion, as well as remembering to never trust an Astropath to succeed on any important roll.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#3 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, if you had the Medicae Deck, or maybe even the stuff used to make some Servitors, and the Tech-Priests to take care of it, you could probably say you already have SOME limbs, of dubious or general quality. Nice things you gotta buy, unless they were already present (as in you said they were, you bought them, or the GM said they were).

Sometimes, when I hear someone say "comes out of our Profit factor", or something similar, I balk at the statement. Remember how much even one PF is worth. The math can reflect it as 1/40 the value of an average world, sometimes (Plan. Gov. PF 40). You can almost certainly just roll for it, and get it, without burning PF (here's hoping I didn't just completely misunderstand you). Mech limbs shouldn't even be too difficult, as almost every Imperial citizen seems to have some lost limb replaced, and/or tubes sticking out of everywhere.

#4 Buronkai

Buronkai

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

i agree that we shouldn't lose profit factor for the implants (unless we actually want to get good versions of it) but i think we'll still lose profit factor because the 1st thing my character (i'm the rogue trader) sees upon waking up after the beatdown of the mass possession, is an inquisitor from the ordo hereticus, and as far as i know of the system, that counts as a serious misfortune for the profit factor.

anyway, about the bionic leg, in case the leg is of good or poor quality, should i use the rules of the bionic arm or the locomotion for it? because the locomotion rules seem to be designed for when the implant is in both legs

#5 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

Every vessel has some Servitors.  So I'm sure you it wouldn't be too difficult for a Techpriest to disassemble one for the Captains benefit.  Not to mention, every ship has some type of Medicae facility on board, and probably even a Reclamation facility too.  Obviously, these would be small, and wouldn't grant any bonuses endeavor or ship wise. 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#6 BossTroll

BossTroll

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Im baffeled that your GM is saying that you need to burn PF for some bionics. Bionics are not that rare in the 40kverse, really. A limb is only scarce, any reasonably big settlement will have some available. Maybe a relatively poor RT (PF 20-30) might need to burn some to get that mastercrafted-adamantinlaid-topnotch-bionic-whatever, but not for a common bionic arm surely. And you can always get a common one fitted and upgrade later :-)

Whether you have some in stock is really up to the GM. But your explorator might be able build some, a ship certainly has the components needed to build an arm or leg, aswell as servitor 'donors'.

- Paranoia is a comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter. - Gilbran Quail - Collected Essays -

#7 Bankinus

Bankinus

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

i agree that we shouldn't lose profit factor for the implants (unless we actually want to get good versions of it)

Why would you lose profit factor for a good quality one?

A typical rogue trader wouldn't lose profit factor if the leg were made out of solid gold.

In fact it would be an insult to his person to settle for anything less expensive.

The things you lose profit factor just for buying are pretty much limited to aquisitions on a planetary scale, eg. building a colony.

but i think we'll still lose profit factor because the 1st thing my character (i'm the rogue trader) sees upon waking up after the beatdown of the mass possessionis an inquisitor from the ordo hereticus, and as far as i know of the system, that counts as a serious misfortune for the profit factor.

Possibly, but not neccessarily. Also you can avoid losing profit factor to misfortunes.

But if I were to wake up facing an inquisitor in person my profit factor would be the least of my worries.

anyway, about the bionic leg, in case the leg is of good or poor quality, should i use the rules of the bionic arm or the locomotion for it? because the locomotion rules seem to be designed for when the implant is in both legs

If it's of normal quality there is really no difference so why bother?

And if you really want the free sprint talent just replace both legs, it's not as if that will cost more.

Edit: can someone explain to me why my middle paragraph spoilered itself? I swear this forum uses some of the worst code I have ever encountered.

Edited by Bankinus, 16 January 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#8 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Edit: can someone explain to me why my middle paragraph spoilered itself? I swear this forum uses some of the worst code I have ever encountered.

Just looked at the BBCode and it's still not obvious.
And I fully agree, infact this is the worst forum software I've had the misfortune of using.

#9 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

It's true that servitors exist on every vessel, as well as basic medicae facilities, but a Servitor isn't a human with some bionic limbs, but someone who's undergone a complete cybernetic refit, and the arms are presumably built into the spine and legs because they're expected to be able to lift incredible weights, and just slapping a bionic arm on someone does not give you the ability to carry the kind of loads they're expected to carry.

Also bionic limbs - though abundunt - should still be a little difficult to create what with the necessary integration with the nervous system. I think being able to craft a poor quality one should probably be possible, what with the fact that there should be thousands of some kind on your vessel, but depending on how realistic you want to play it, you could require a Tech-Use test to appropriately fashion a suitable replacement, or make it clear that getting a jury-rigged arm now might mean it's more dangerous to get a real replacement later.

Or you could just be "nice" and not leave your PCs maimed. Whichever.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS