I want more Stealth Devices, but I don't want to spend $35 for two more cards

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

I was putting a list together.  It was basically 4 TIE Intercpetors each with a stealth device. Then I realized that I couldn't play that list until I bought another Firespray.

I have a lot of ships 3 or 4 of most ship, 8 TIE Fighters, 1 Shuttle, YT-1300, Firespray and HWK.  I feel like I have been pretty willing to support FFG with my money.  And I might eventually buy another Firespray.  From what I see two Firesprays are a good thing.  However, I don't want to have to buy another Firespray just to get more stealth devices.

For that matter I don't want to buy more HWK for more recon-spec. 

For the most part ships come with upgrades that you would want to put on them, but not always.  And it is annoying that I might have to buy another ship, that I might not want, just for the cards that come with it.

Yes, I will buy another Firespray, but what if I hated Firesprays?

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#2 LukesFather

LukesFather

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Proxy the card.  But know that if you plan on doing a real tournament, then your going to need the card.  I think its in the rules for that.  I know, if they (FFG) would just sell the cards (for a cost) I think they would make some money off of those that want the card and not the model....Looking at you Shuttle! (I got 2 so you can't hate)

• oneway likes this

Rebels -  3 A wing - 5 B wing - 2 E wing - 2 HWK - - 5 Xwing - 2 YT-1300 - 2 Y wing - 3 Z95
Imperials - 6 Tie/F - 1 Adv/T - 2 Firespray - 3 Tie/I - 1 Aces - 2 Lambda - 3 TIE/B - 2 Tie/P - 2 Tie/D

EPIC - GR-75

Custom - 1 YV-545 (yt1300 conversion)

#3 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Miniatures Market has them for 20 bucks... get one there.. and I'll buy it from you.. sans Stealth cards.. for, say.. 15, and ship it to me.. I'll pay for that too.. how about that.. if you're in the US, that would be inexpensive..
  • Crabbok likes this

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#4 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

That is the single biggest issue with X-Wing IMO.  The fact that some cards only come with some ships. 

The fact that you get 2 of them with the Firespray makes it a bit better... But I really shouldn't have to buy 1 of them, let alone 2 just because I wanted a given card.

What if I only want to collect Rebel ships, and only play Rebel lists?  I'm excluded from a lot of options because I won't buy a Lambada Shuttle or Tie Advanced.

On the other side, you have to have 4 A-Wings if you want 4 Push the Limit cards, but what if you only want to play Imps?

Now if you don't mind using proxies this isn't an issue.  But it is if you want to play a tourney.  I'd love to see FFG come out with card packs, 2-4 of all the various upgrades, droids, secondary weapons, ect... perhaps even the pilots.  Then package them per wave or something.

• oneway and Muz like this

#5 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I agree with the idea of card sets, but then no one buys ships for cards anymore, and they lose sales.. seems they are always worried about over production, this is why they run out of ships before demand has played out..

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#6 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

TBH if you have friends this is never an issue.. For casual play you just tell your opponent you are using Stealth Devices and for tournament just borrow cards. That's what we do.

• nurglez and Crabbok like this

#7 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

It's not such a big deal, but it buggs me.  I mean, I kinda want anther Firespray, but what if I didn't.  I am not really looking for a a solution, just a place to rant.

But if I were a straight Rebel Player this would make me even madder.  How do you get the gunner, stealth device, or HLC cards?

Rant Rant Rant!

#8 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Lucky for you 2 will be packaged with the upcoming Imperial aces release! 2 interceptor repaints and some awesome cards.
  • oneway likes this

#9 Muz

Muz

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

I would buy a few extra packs of upgrade cards to supplement what i have (need more PTL and Sensor Jammers).

I would also love to see some more pilot cards come out as well, maybe a rebel and imperial pack that contains a new pilot for each class of ship. Which could be packaged per wave or what ever... 

But as it is i just play with friends and we proxy cards for the mean time. (as i am not aware of any tournaments in NZ)

Rebel Alliance Squadrons:

5 X-wing, 2 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 5 B-wing, 3 E-wing, 1 Z-95, 2 YT 1300, 1 GR-75, 1 Tantive IV, pre-order YT-2400

Imperial Navy:

6 TIE fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 2 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Bomber, 1 Fire Spray, 1 Shuttle, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Phantom, pre-order Decimator

#10 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Lucky for you 2 will be packaged with the upcoming Imperial aces release! 2 interceptor repaints and some awesome cards.

I didn't know that.  I will definitely be getting that.

Dang, now I have to change my rant to "Why hasn't the Imperial Aces been released yet! Rant, Rant, Rant"

• IvlerIin and doodlezook like this

#11 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Yes but what if someone doesn't want to buy the Imperial Aces pack?

That's the whole problem with the system FFG set up, some people are forced to buy models I don't want, for the sake of cards they do want.

Clearly part of the idea was to sell more ships. How many X-Wing or Tie Fighter expansion packs do you think they would of sold if Wedge and Howlrunner were included in the core set? Not nearly as many, so I understand the marketing behind it.

But perhaps now is the time to start thinking about a Wave 1 pack, with 1 of each pilot and 2-4 of each other card from Wave 1. At this point I don't think they'd see a huge hit in sales of Wave 1 ships if they offered that.

#12 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'll gladly join you in ranting about that!

Spoilers are up and it looks awesome. We've been waiting for 4 months for it already now.

#13 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

I would also love a card pack for each ship type. It would be doubly awesome if it came with a new pilot too. One new pilot AND one ship specific upgrade... Probably would sell well and not disturb ship production and availability. To for broke...add a scenario too!

#14 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

What I would love the most is, re-releases of ships, with new pilots and access to more of those hard to get cards.  Basically more like Imperial Aces.

• Elvenshae likes this

#15 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Probably would sell well and not disturb ship production and availability.

Sure... the trick is putting enough cards and other stuff into a pack to make them worth publishing. A Y-Wing pack with 8 cards would only sell for what $2-3? I wouldn't pay more then that...

What I think would work better is some sort of Wave X supplement pack.

All the pilots, upgrades, ect... from that wave. Perhaps even a new pilot per ship, and/or alt-art on some of the cards. On top of that, a booklet of say 2-4 new missions. Sell that for $10-15 and I'd bet people would be lining up to hand over their cash.

Then they could do the same for Wave 2, Wave 3, ect... when they get to the point that the 'shelf life' of a given wave has past they could release a supplement pack for it, and see little if any loss of sales for the models.
  • oneway and Stelar 7 like this

#16 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

I would also love a card pack for each ship type.

I would buy a few extra packs of upgrade cards to supplement what i have 

I agree with the idea of card sets

I'd love to see FFG come out with card packs, 2-4 of all the various upgrades, droids, secondary weapons, ect... perhaps even the pilots.

I think they would make some money off of those that want the card and not the model....Looking at you Shuttle! (I got 2 so you can't hate)

This. 

I also would LOVE to see ship-specific card packs. I feel like there would be quite a bit of profit from it as well. It costs, what? $2 for a deck of "fancy" playing cards? That is what WE pay... not what it would cost to print them. Also, that is the cost for a full deck of playing cards... they would only have to put 5-10 in the package, sell them for $5, and would make a HEFTY profit. 

Keep in mind, that I am not a MTG player. I've never been really into straight card games. 

But if they came out with a RANDOM card package... I would be all over that. The idea of getting something that I was NOT expecting (for a few dollars) has always been pretty fun to me. (Lego Minifigures? Anyone?)

Ship Specific Card Packs (Pilots, Upgrades, weapons),

Random Pilot packs (Random only-released-through-buying-this-pack pilots),

Random Upgrade Packs, (same as pilot only upgrades), 

Random Weapon Packs (Yes)

acb.jpg

a booklet of say 2-4 new missions. Sell that for $10-15 and I'd bet people would be lining up to hand over their cash.

This... too... I need it....

Edited by Hoosteen, 15 January 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#17 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

TBH if you have friends this is never an issue.. For casual play you just tell your opponent you are using Stealth Devices and for tournament just borrow cards. That's what we do.

That's the problem. I don't have friends. I'm too much of a jerk. Hey, I'm trying. I used to be too much of an ass.

• oneway and Digitalkiller like this

6x X-Wing, 4x Y-Wing, 4x A-Wing, 4x B-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Firespray, 10x TIE/Line, 4x TIE/Interceptor, 2x TIE/Bomber, 2x TIE/Advance, 1x Lambda (all official FFG minis)

Plus whatever custom minis I feel like printing on my personal high resolution 3D printer.

#18 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

From the company's point of view though, selling them with the models is better.  If you went with your suggestion of selling all the cards from wave one, there would be little to no demand for wave one ships.  This would then cause stock issues and make it more difficult for new players to get into the game because they couldn't get some of the ships that they want.  From the company's perspective, keeping it the same keeps stock rolling over and makes it easier for them to get new customers.

Maybe in the future, this situation might change, but for the time being, I'd say it would be best for them to leave it as is.

Edited by Eltnot, 15 January 2014 - 05:36 PM.

• Elvenshae likes this

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#19 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

This. 

I also would LOVE to see ship-specific card packs. I feel like there would be quite a bit of profit from it as well. It costs, what? $2 for a deck of "fancy" playing cards? That is what WE pay... not what it would cost to print them. Also, that is the cost for a full deck of playing cards... they would only have to put 5-10 in the package, sell them for $5, and would make a HEFTY profit. 

Keep in mind, that I am not a MTG player. I've never been really into straight card games. 

But if they came out with a RANDOM card package... I would be all over that. The idea of getting something that I was NOT expecting (for a few dollars) has always been pretty fun to me. (Lego Minifigures? Anyone?)

If I could unlike a post to notify that this is a terrible idea I would.  RANDOM CARD PACKS!!! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING! 

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 15 January 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#20 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Probably would sell well and not disturb ship production and availability.

Sure... the trick is putting enough cards and other stuff into a pack to make them worth publishing. A Y-Wing pack with 8 cards would only sell for what $2-3? I wouldn't pay more then that...

What I think would work better is some sort of Wave X supplement pack.

All the pilots, upgrades, ect... from that wave. Perhaps even a new pilot per ship, and/or alt-art on some of the cards. On top of that, a booklet of say 2-4 new missions. Sell that for $10-15 and I'd bet people would be lining up to hand over their cash.

Then they could do the same for Wave 2, Wave 3, ect... when they get to the point that the 'shelf life' of a given wave has past they could release a supplement pack for it, and see little if any loss of sales for the models.

Again... All ship upgrade cards, and a new pilot card, and a ship specific modification/upgrade... I would say that would sell for $6.99 or so.  If they added a ship specific mission add another dollar... ship specific mission book... $2... Make a lot of profit. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS