• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Hi There

Ive done a bit of research on the net and this forum so know some of what I have been after, but hope some of you nice wfrp veterans might be able to fill in the blanks please.

I am a longtime warhammer fan (I bought the white dwarf off the shelf that featured the cover of first edition wfrp as a shiny new product) so have been into this for some time. Also played other systems.

I am at the point of considering dipping into wfrp 3rd

Now my main questions concern wfrp lite.

Partly because I am not a fan of card/counter playing having lost pieces in the past, partly because playing outside isnt as easy with cards, and partly as one of our games venues has no table space at all, so a book bag plus a clipboard full of sheets is the way to go there.

I do know from reading, that many people do advertise the counter/cards aspect for various advantages, and I have taken all that onboard, but for now am still looking at componentless play (I know some have said it means a lot of character sheets, but I kind of like that being a veteran of early WFB and 40K where rules and sheets were a-plenty)

So.. from my research, are my following assumptions/deductions correct please:

1: If I buy the hardback players-guide, gm-guide and creature-guide I will have everything (bar dice) that I need to play componentless play without missing any aspects that only appear on the cards?

2: The campaign boxes (Eg Enemy Within) are then self contained with all things needed to play that campaign, componentless or otherwise? Thus buy whichever you fancy whenever without missing out on new-rules?

3: The POD cardsets, do these appear in the componentless (lite) rules or are these pretty much essential purchases even for componentless play if you want to use those locations, characters etc

4: Ive heard that the creature-vault is better value than the other vaults, does this mean it contains aspects within the components that are additional to the creature-guide or is it simply adding components to the creature-guide that arent needed if playing componentless?

PS: Im aware that for cost-value in dice, buying box sets can be better, so havent made that decision yet. I also have within my dice collection a bag full of blank dice, so might (sorry FFG) buy one pack of dedicated wfrp dice and use blank dice (plus marker pens) to pad it out when needed.

Thank you very much anyone who takes the time to read this, and thank you for any time given in replying. All applpies appreciated even if simply in the yes-yes-no-yes format as it still answers the questions :)

Oh, also, the above questions / shopping-list is purely for my own aspect. The people I play with always buy their own stuff so I do not need to consider number of players etc when buying stuff.

Thanks

Alex

PS: My long standing games: WFB (at times all 8 editions, even 1st) W40K (most editons at times) SpaceHulk, Heroquest. advanced heroquest, heroclix, heroscape, D&D3.5, shadowrun 3rd, bit of rolemaster, merp and vampire. One day I plan to run a gurps disworld game too.

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

I answer this as one who plays with the components and likes what they bring to system but we all have different tastes and it's defintely not easily transportable to cafeteria tables etc in base form.  If you've been scoping out forum, you have seen links to lots of play aids that have been created such as Player Character sheets, standard action sheets etc.

1: If I buy the hardback players-guide, gm-guide and creature-guide I will have everything (bar dice) that I need to play componentless play without missing any aspects that only appear on the cards?

The answer there is yes.  You will find that falling a part a bit buying later supplements and the PODs of cards where there are cards that are not printed in the text.  For example, Omens of War and Lure of Power (combat and social boxes) are not reflected in the hardbacks so things like the added severe critical cards of Omens are only in card form.

2: The campaign boxes (Eg Enemy Within) are then self contained with all things needed to play that campaign, componentless or otherwise? Thus buy whichever you fancy whenever without missing out on new-rules?

Pretty much well, for example Enemy Within in particular has cards that are also in other supplements to be sure you have the juicy ones for the critters it has.

There are little bits of rules here and there in each supplement (e.g., rules for the penalty when waking up and having to fight for life) but nothing major that you couldn't "wing yourself".

3: The POD cardsets, do these appear in the componentless (lite) rules or are these pretty much essential purchases even for componentless play if you want to use those locations, characters etc

No, POD material appears nowhere else to date.  They are not essential though they are quite nice for roudning out things like particular magic using careers.

4: Ive heard that the creature-vault is better value than the other vaults, does this mean it contains aspects within the components that are additional to the creature-guide or is it simply adding components to the creature-guide that arent needed if playing componentless?

From my perspective, it had more new stuff less "you already had that", that said.

#3 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

I would start with the Hardcover Player's Guide.   All of the boxed sets basically add stuff...hard to say whether you need it or just want it.  A lot of the stuff is really cheap on ebay right now.  I think Gathering Storm is a pretty good start after you buy the rules.  I think it is the best role playing game that a lot of people never played.

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Get a hold of the 3 PDFs of the hardcovers.  Use the dice app or the online dice roller.  If you decide it's for you, then go for it and get other stuff.

You'll have everything you need.

jh

#5 alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Thanks ever so much guys thats all great info and advice. 

Never thought of trying the dice app great idea. The pdfs are a good idea too as i read a lot on kindle. 

Although im not into buying duplicate stuff, i am a little bit of a completist so can see myself looking into the pod cards even if playing componentless. 

Thanks very much again, the ffg range can be confusing for a newbie so i appreciate your advice. Cheers. 

Now lets get suited up for some forthcoming adventure :)

My old realm of chaos books have fome wfrp 1st ed stuff in which inspired me. Looking forward to this :)

• Emirikol likes this

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

You might really appreciate the online dice roller (which yuo can download):  https://googledrive....ollers/wfrp3e/#

#7 alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Thanks very much :) Ill take a look at that

Much appreciated very helpful comments folks!

Cheers

Alex

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS