House Rule: Catching a Ride

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 countermeasures

countermeasures

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

I posted this on BGG a little while back. Thought I'd share it over here, since I'm pretty fond of this variant.

Rule I started playing with (because aside from being helpful, but not so helpful that it feels cheap or too easy, it also makes sense thematically):

-If you occupy the same space as the Deputy of Arkham at the beginning of the movement phase, when the deputy moves anywhere on the board using the Patrol Wagon, you can ride along with him/her to that spot. This uses ALL movement points for any investigators utilizing the benefits of the Patrol Wagon.-

Thematically: The investigators are working together to save the world- why would the one with the car say "sorry pal, you have to walk all the way, and I'm going to drive". But, it is a police car, so there's some risk for both parties....

To up the cost of this beneficial house rule- once reaching the destination, the deputy has to roll (like after battle, or after returning from another world (see Patrol Wagon item card) to see if he can keep the patrol wagon. The deputy could also charge (before giving the ride) $1.00 or $2.00 per passenger, to help convince him/her to risk his car and badge.

An (optional) additional variant for more difficulty- if more than one investigator (or just the one, up to you) wants to hitch a ride with the deputy, then all passengers (not the deputy) will need to pass a sneak check upon arrival (as the police chief would probably frown upon the company car being used as a taxi service for his deputy's friends).
Should any of the passengers fail the sneak check, the deputy could lose all of his/her deputy privileges (making it possible for someone else to become Deputy of Arkham- even the same person, after proving themselves again with monster/gate tokens). Or those who failed could be transported to the police station (NOT ARRESTED) and have to pay a small fine ($2.00 or something) for illegally hitching a ride on a police vehicle. Or both!

Like all house rules, do with this what you will!

Edited by countermeasures, 15 January 2014 - 02:56 PM.

• DaraLynx likes this

#2 DaraLynx

DaraLynx

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Cool!

• countermeasures likes this

#3 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

See this is the kinda stuff I love--and it makes sense. I said it before and I'll say it again, for a game that stresses thematically that this is a group fo Investigators working to stop evil, the most they do as a team is, maybe, hand off items to each other. This is a great way to really make it seem more like people working together and not just little pieces on a board trying to win.

• countermeasures likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS