Can I still buy this?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

A simple question. I can't see it on drivethrurpg though. If not a little help would be much appreciated. Yar har and a bottle of ram. Of course I say nothing on that third line and everything after. Please look into this light.

• Taalon Roagh likes this

#2 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

AFAIK, nope

#3 Gamgee

Gamgee

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Aww that sucks. I wanted to see the new rules. I do intend to buy it, but I wanna see them noooowwww.... any idea when we can expect a release?

Edited by Gamgee, 15 January 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#4 khimaera

khimaera

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

They don't have a release date yet.  I'd expect it to arrive around GenCon +/- 3 months.

#5 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

It will take at least 3 months from now.

Does anybody know how long it was between the end of the OW beta and the OW release ?

Respect your brothers and you will also be respected.

#6 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

It does need some more work though, lots of great things, but Influence and some of the weapon balance is still off (especially stuff like axes being nerfed for no reason)

#7 Taalon Roagh

Taalon Roagh

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'm a gatecrasher here....DON'T SHOOT....but I'm looking into the FFG RPG's.

3 months from now sounds great to me, even though I've not been part of the Beta. Suffice to say I will be starting an interesting topic once DH2E is released and I've had a good read.

• c8tiff likes this

#8 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

Even though Star Wars is my go-to RPG at the moment, I'm really looking forward to this one as well. I was never really a huge fan of the 40k universe, and because of it my knowledge is very limited, but since I started watching the itmeJP videos on Youtube... let's just say it opened my eyes.

I didn't buy the beta because a) I have almost zero knowledge and experience when it comes to Dark Heresy (or any 40k RPG), and b) I was still in the middle of reading through the Star Wars core book and preparing a campaign, but I have been keeping my eye on this part of the FFG forums. And even though it seemed most people here were somewhat negative on what FFG was doing with the beta, it didn't diminsh my interest in the game. So I'm really hoping they'll release a Beginner's Box similar to the Star Wars ones, because I want to give this bad boy a go. :D

• c8tiff likes this

#9 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Besides the first edition of the beta (which I only heard of annoyance, especially from a GM), the second edition seems overall well received. You have to remember that folks are extra critical because at this stage input matters more.

#10 Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Eh, I'd argue they were both about equally well received, just for entirely different reasons. The first beta made a lot of huge changes, which (in my opinion) would have changed the game for the better with some refinement, but annoyed a lot of people due to killing backwards compatibility.

The second beta annoyed lots of people because it's essentially Only War copypasted, which isn't enough of a change to appease even most of the backwards compatibility crowd.

This whole process has been handled horribly (from as early as the closed alpha stages if certain posters are to be believed).

• yggZ and Brother Orpheo like this

#11 seanpp

seanpp

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

There was some interesting stuff in Beta1 and I was willing to work with it (I had my ongoing campaign using it), since that's apparently where the game was going.

IMO, though, Beta1's good points weren't enough to make it worth nullifying the mechanics of some ~17 previous DH1 books - which is a high bar.  Considering there was already a well received rule structure (Only War) to base a 2nd Edition off of that was perfectly compatible with those ~17 DH1 books, it really knocked a lot of us over when they went for the Beta1 near rules-rewrite.

I'm sorry I led my ongoing campaign through the beta process - now I know that is simply a no-no.  Betas are for mock skirmishes and one-shot adventures...not ongoing campaigns.  You live and learn.

But, having said that, I'm one that is quite pleased with the Beta2.  I wasn't looking for a brand new set of rules - I was looking for a shot at fixing some things in DH1 that fans had been talking about for years, some of which had long been changed in other subsequent WH40k games.  In other words, I was looking for a 2nd Edition of a well established game.  IMO, they've taken a pretty good crack at that.  Is everything in DH2 exactly how I want it?  Of course not, but that's never going to happen.

Let me add that I am really happy that rules are not going to be changing every week anymore!   :lol:

#12 Taalon Roagh

Taalon Roagh

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

I'm just going to trade in my old books at Amazon (just the rulebook and Ascension) and use the trade-in value when I pick up the new book. So as not to judge the rules before I've read and played them, I'm avoiding reading much of the forum. Started reading through topics only to be put off by the constant criticisms.

Like previous games, I'll just buy the book when it's released and make up my own mind.

#13 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Even though Star Wars is my go-to RPG at the moment, I'm really looking forward to this one as well. I was never really a huge fan of the 40k universe, and because of it my knowledge is very limited, but since I started watching the itmeJP videos on Youtube... let's just say it opened my eyes. I didn't buy the beta because a) I have almost zero knowledge and experience when it comes to Dark Heresy (or any 40k RPG), and b) I was still in the middle of reading through the Star Wars core book and preparing a campaign, but I have been keeping my eye on this part of the FFG forums. And even though it seemed most people here were somewhat negative on what FFG was doing with the beta, it didn't diminsh my interest in the game. So I'm really hoping they'll release a Beginner's Box similar to the Star Wars ones, because I want to give this bad boy a go. :D

Some people just need a little longer to find the right path... ;D

By the way - I am not quite sure why a lot of people always say it is that much backward compatible to DH1.

The fluff of course is - but the alternate ranks, cell directives and many other things built on trees become almost useless. The weapons need to be reworked in many cases and a lot of NPC stats use talents that now no longer exist.

So, yes, beta2 is more compatible to DH1 than beta1 - but that still doesnt mean your old books can be used without any problems or conversion.

#14 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

- but that still doesnt mean your old books can be used without any problems or conversion.

This is the reason I'm holding off with buying anything DH related, until the 2nd edition is released. I was considering buying the Blood of Martyrs book, simply because I've become a fan of the Adepta Sororitas and I would love to learn more about them... but I'm sure they'll release a similar book in the 2nd ed. product line, so I'll just wait.

#15 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

- but that still doesnt mean your old books can be used without any problems or conversion.

This is the reason I'm holding off with buying anything DH related, until the 2nd edition is released. I was considering buying the Blood of Martyrs book, simply because I've become a fan of the Adepta Sororitas and I would love to learn more about them... but I'm sure they'll release a similar book in the 2nd ed. product line, so I'll just wait.

Imo it totally depends what you want.

If you want the books primarily for fluff reasons, go and get them. They are intesting to read and give a good feeling about the 40k setting. Also the pics are great.

Regarding rules, with DH2these books will be of less use.
You can use the included adventures, and partially the armory (you needs to keep an eye on weapons and armour though and maybe change some stuff).

For inspiration its good - as long as money is of no concern to you *hehe*

If it is - wait for DH2 as there certainly will also be supplements for this.
  • Veruca likes this

#16 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I wish FFG could have a quick primer on how to convert primitive weapons and armor to the new system.

#17 Elior

Elior

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

I wish FFG could have a quick primer on how to convert primitive weapons and armor to the new system.

I'm not so sure that they had a formula. They may have just rebalanced some of them and reimagined others for better effect.

#18 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

An updated IH wrapon table would help a lot - but I guess thats not in business interests ;D

#19 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:46 AM

If you want the books primarily for fluff reasons, go and get them. They are intesting to read and give a good feeling about the 40k setting. Also the pics are great.

Yes, it would purely be for fluff. I had a chance to browse the Blood of Martyrs book, and I really liked what I saw: a better look at the Adepta Sororitas and its different sections. Are there any other books (across the other 40k RPGs as well) that go over the Battle Sisters? (Are they present in the 2nd ed. core book?)

The money isn't that big of a deal, but it would be a shame if they reprinted all that information in a 2nd ed. version and I just bought the 1st ed. one. (And any money I save goes straight to Star Wars RPGs, so yeah...  :P  )

#20 GauntZero

GauntZero

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

I guess they wont do direct reprints of DH1 books, but create new ones that might share some content of the old ones.

Sororitas primarily occur in blood of martyrs and, to a lesser degree, in the inquisitors handbook.
Other than that, they have no big presence I would remember.

If you like fluff in general, I can recommend Disciples of the dark gods a lot. Loved that book.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS