Ered Nimrais Prospector

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

I find this card interesting, but there must be some clever use for it that I'm not seeing. He came in the same pack as Hidden Cache, in a cycle that also has Emery, so great; two ways in this cycle to get resource out of Hidden Cache. But how can that be the only thing he's good for? Are there any ideas on clever ways to make use of his digging ability?

#2 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

I suppose after a moment's more thought... Anborn to fish out traps easier, bigger choice of events with Scroll of Isildor

#3 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

I'm not sure the Scroll of Isildur idea really makes much sense. Wouldn't you rather use an event before having to fish it out of the discard? I can see Anborn's ability working well with it, also Erebor Hammersmith. He'd also work somewhat well in a Spirit recycle deck with Caldara.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#4 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

He also pulls a card out of your discard pile for the steep price of discarding three cards. Could change the whole game around if you lost your last copy of an amazing card or to recycle an amazing card. Would be tons better if he'd put it in your hand instead of back into the deck.
  • chuckles likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#5 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

I have been able to put the Prospector to great use in my deck called "Gold Diggin' Dwarves." This deck uses the Prospector to trigger (and more importantly recycle) the Hidden Cache card for free resources. You will notice that this deck does not include Steward of Gondor, something I deliberately left out, yet however I have found that I can just as easily produce more than enough resources without it! With Thorin, We Are Not Idle, and Hidden Cache, you can really get some crazy resource production. I really enjoy this way since Steward is sort of "broken" but also because it frees up another player to play Steward of Gondor so that he can produce enough resources as well.

Basically, get one dwarf out and you are already at the 5 threshold thanks to Bombur, and then start to "dig" for for Hidden Caches via King Under the Mountain, Ered Prospector, and A Very Good Tale (these all trigger its resource ability). Then you just recycle the Hidden Cache with the Prospector (you can bring him back if he dies with another Prospector or To Me! O My Kinsfolk!). It is really funny recycling him and the gold, and you find yourself with more resources than necessary to play everything, so that's why I included the Longbeard Map Maker to take advantage of the surplus for lots of willpower, and also why there are more cards than 50 because you will go through your deck pretty quickly from discarding. I encourage you to try it out for yourself and see how it plays. Please comment with any feedback or suggestions if you do try it out. Thanks!

Gold Diggin' Dwarves

Hero (3)
Thorin Oakenshield (OHaUH) x1
Ori (OHaUH) x1
Bombur (OtD) x1

Player Deck (60)

Ally (23)
Ered Nimrais Prospector (TMV) x3
Erebor Record Keeper (KD) x3
Erebor Hammersmith (Core) x2
Miner of the Iron Hills (Core) x2
Longbeard Map-Maker (CatC) x2
Bifur (OtD) x2
Dori (OHaUH) x2
Gildor Inglorion (THoEM) x1
Gloin (OtD) x2
Faramir (Core) x1
Gandalf (Core) x3

Attachment (13)
Ranger Spikes (HON) x3
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Healing Herbs (FoS) x1
Legacy of Durin (TWitW) x1
Cram (OHaUH) x2
King Under the Mountain (OtD) x2
Hardy Leadership (SaF) x2

Event (24)
A Very Good Tale (OHaUH) x3
Lure of Moria (RtR) x3
We Are Not Idle (SaF) x3
To Me! O My Kinsfolk! (OtD) x3
Durin's Song (KD) x2
Sneak Attack (Core) x2
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x3
Ravens of the Mountain (OtD) x2
Hidden Cache (TMV) x3

Edited by kyrie, 14 January 2014 - 01:53 AM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#6 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I slapped together this goofball mono-Lore deck just to see how it went. It was actually fun, did a great job of filling my hand with cards, and while a bit slow to get going, ultimately did pretty well against the hunt for gollum and the dead marshes. If nothing else, hidden cache and the prospector are one of the few ways mono-lore can get extra resource.

lore

Hero (3)
Denethor (Core) x1
Glorfindel (Core) x1
Mirlonde (TDF) x1

Ally (26)
Erebor Hammersmith (Core) x2
Ered Nimrais Prospector (TMV) x3
Gandalf (Core) x3
Gildor Inglorion (THoEM) x3
Gleowine (Core) x2
Haldir of Lorien (AJtR) x2
Henamarth Riversong (Core) x1
Master of Lore (HON) x3
Miner of the Iron Hills (Core) x2
Mirkwood Runner (RtM) x3
Silvan Tracker (TDM) x2

Attachment (11)
A Burning Brand (CatC) x3
Asfaloth (FoS) x3
Scroll of Isildur (TMV) x3
Protector of Lorien (Core) x2

Event (13)
Hidden Cache (TMV) x3
Mithrandir's Advice (TSF) x3
Radagast's Cunning (Core) x2
Risk Some Light (SaF) x3
Secret Paths (Core) x2

I'll give yours a go.

#7 Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Knowing that three specific cards are located in my discard pile is better than knowing they are 'somewhere' in my deck. At the very least, I know that I won't be drawing and can adapt my strategy accordingly. It raises the probability of drawing some-other-card and reduces the probability of drawing the discarded cards to zero.

Tales from the Cards posted this marvelous deck a short while back.  It is loads of fun to play and makes great use of the Prospector.

http://talesfromthec...ht-aules-pride/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS